Etherwood (Hospital Records, Med School) @ The Daily Dose Mix (05.11.2013)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evil_Concussion
    Platinum Poster
    • Aug 2009

Undoubtedly one of the most promising young talents in the Drum and Bass scene today, the Mancunion recently gave Med School talent Etherwood aka Woody, a whopping 9/10 for his self-titled debut album. Although often praised for his consistency in delivering beautiful beats and heartfelt melodies, Etherwood is keen to denounce the labelling of his ‘signature sound’. “It’s always a tough thing to comment on. I hear words like ‘chilled’ and ‘atmospheric’ but that’s all pretty subjective really. I tend to use a lot of keys and guitar over synths and plugins, which I suppose contributes to a more live and acoustic sound.” However, there’s no denying album ‘Etherwood’ showcases his distinct style. “It certainly captures a particular ‘mood’ I think. I wanted to put a stamp on my style as a producer and hopefully I’ve achieved that with this debut.”

In fact, Etherwood seems to have stormed electronic music form nowhere as 2013’s producer to watch. “As soon as I heard that Tony Colman aka London Elektricity had been listening to my tracks and liked them, I was really stunned. I’ve always loved Hospital Records and so having a debut release on Med School was a massive milestone.”

“My creative process since the signing has developed substantially, it’s always developing. Experimentation is extremely important to me and the track ‘Unfolding’ which appeared on New Blood 013 was something a little different from me. The reception it had was really overwhelming which definitely instilled a confidence to be able to explore certain sounds and move away from a comfort zone.”

Undoubtedly one of the most promising young talents in the Drum and Bass scene today, the Mancunion recently gave Med School talent Etherwood aka Woody, a whopping 9/10 for his self-titled debut album. In anticipation for his set at Hospitality at The Warehouse Project, we caught up with Etherwood to discuss production techniques, Eastern samples and his diverse live set.

Although often praised for his consistency in delivering beautiful beats and heartfelt melodies, Etherwood is keen to denounce the labelling of his ‘signature sound’. “It’s always a tough thing to comment on. I hear words like ‘chilled’ and ‘atmospheric’ but that’s all pretty subjective really. I tend to use a lot of keys and guitar over synths and plugins, which I suppose contributes to a more live and acoustic sound.” However, there’s no denying album ‘Etherwood’ showcases his distinct style. “It certainly captures a particular ‘mood’ I think. I wanted to put a stamp on my style as a producer and hopefully I’ve achieved that with this debut.”

In fact, Etherwood seems to have stormed electronic music form nowhere as 2013’s producer to watch. “As soon as I heard that Tony Colman aka London Elektricity had been listening to my tracks and liked them, I was really stunned. I’ve always loved Hospital Records and so having a debut release on Med School was a massive milestone.”

“My creative process since the signing has developed substantially, it’s always developing. Experimentation is extremely important to me and the track ‘Unfolding’ which appeared on New Blood 013 was something a little different from me. The reception it had was really overwhelming which definitely instilled a confidence to be able to explore certain sounds and move away from a comfort zone.”

It is this determination to push boundaries that has created such a moving debut. Woody explains how most songs are written on the guitar or tend to sprout from a piano driven part. ‘We Are Ever Changing’ is the best example of this. “‘We Are Ever Changing’ has an Eastern vibe to it. My girlfriend features on the vocals and I incorporated some Indian flute samples that I found on my hard drive and fitted perfectly. It’s ace when you stumble across something that works so well.“

This experimental ethos also led to new production techniques. “I’d tended to use really long reverb on pretty much everything. So I experimented by using some reverse reverb and panning to keep each song individual. It’s fairly subtle but makes a huge difference to the overall vibe.”

Collaborations on the album produce something special as lyrical meaning builds upon the complexities of Etherwood’s production. He elaborates, “it’s always great working in the studio with vocalists. You can bounce ideas off each other and come up with something perfect. In fact I wrote ‘Falling Out Of Consciousness’ with Georgia Yates and Bev Lee Harling in mind, which features both vocals on the same track “– a pretty unusual approach for drum & bass.

However, although seemingly effortless to producing the highest quality music, Woody stays humble in describing obstacles in producing the album. “’Weightless’ was the hardest track to write” he explains. “The hardest part was allowing the drums and bass to sit alongside the piano part without becoming too overpowering. It went through a lot different stages before settling where it did.”

Similarly, collaboration with fellow Hospital hitter Nu:Tone on ‘Shattered’ “started out as a kind of amen/jungly thing with a long stretched vocal sample. It was all a bit messy. Up steps Dan Nu:Tone and really nailed it, perfecting it in his studio. Having a fresh take on it really helped.”

Looking towards the future, Woody seems hopeful for future projects. “I’m back in the studio, working on new material and the album has created a real momentum in terms of productivity” he explains as new projects look like they’ll be breaking new ground. “I love using strings in the studio. They create instant atmosphere that you just can’t find with pads or synths. I hope with future projects I’ll be able to record or play live with a full orchestra.”

Forever looking to new influences, his set at Hospitality WHP will touch upon a vast array of genres in typical Etherwood style. “My sets are usually fairly diverse, moving from liquid rollers to deep techy tunes and chucking in some half time tracks to keep things interesting” he describes. “I’m looking forward to dropping a few tunes from the LP to see how well they translate in a live context too. I’ve never been to Warehouse Project before so I really can’t wait to play!”

Free Download http://uploaded.net/file/8j0558e8
  • Evil_Concussion
    Platinum Poster
    • Aug 2009

Re: Etherwood (Hospital Records, Med School) @ The Daily Dose Mix (05.11.2013)

Tracklist:
    1. Intelligent Manners – Southside
    2. Phase – I Mean It feat. LaMeduza
    3. Total Science – See Your Face feat. Riya
    4. Loz Contreras – Baby It’s You
    5. Hugh Hardie – Tearing Me Apart feat. Kyan Kuatois
    6. Hybrid Minds – Mountains feat Jasmine Spence
    7. Spectrasoul – Slippin’
    8. Sam Binga – AYO fet Redders
    9. Fracture – Sick Wid It feat. Dawn Day Night
    10. Break & Xtrah – Always New
    11. Machinedrum – Don’t 1 2 Lose U
    12. Om Unit – Corridor
    13. Shiver – Displaced
    14. Taelimb – Wasteman
    15. Lung – Starving Artiste
    16. Joe Syntax – Bassline Sinker
    17. Wilkinson – Too Close feat. Detour City
    18. Etherwood – Weightless
    19. Etherwood – Spoken (S.P.Y Remix)
    20. Indiana – Mess Around (Etherwood Remix)
    21. Kove – Night Thought
    22. Unknown – Unknown
    23. Daft Punk – Doin’ It Right (CLS Bootleg)
    24. London Elektricity – Just One Second (Apex Remix)
    25. Etherwood – The Time Is Here At Last
    26. Chris.Su – Together In The Night feat Mira
    27. Camo & Krooked – Loving You Is Easy (S.P.Y Remix)
    28. Frederic Robinson – Particles
    29. Disclosure – You & Me (Flume Remix)

Comment

• Evil_Concussion
      Platinum Poster
      • Aug 2009

http://www.mixcloud.com/evil_concussion/etherwood-med-school-music-the-daily-dose-mix-mistajam-radio-show-bbc-1xtra-05112013/

different download options
      ♫♫♫ lossless FLAC Version, DL = 2013-11-05 - Etherwood (Hoslac (419,79 MB) - uploaded.net ♫♫♫
      ♫♫♫ mastered 160kbit MP3, DL = 2013-11-05 - Etherwood (Hosmp3 (68,18 MB) - uploaded.net ♫♫♫

Comment

• Evil_Concussion
        Platinum Poster
        • Aug 2009

Hi Etherwood, thanks for taking the time to talk with us. How are things going?
        You’re very welcome. Things are great at the moment thanks.

You had your first release on Hospital at the end of last year. How did that come about?
        Yeah last November I believe. I woke up to a message from London Elektricity one morning saying he’d heard some tracks of mine and really liked them. From there I sent him a few tunes and we went with ‘Give It Up’ as a release on the Sick Music 3 compilation. That was a huge moment for me!

Do you feel that releasing tracks on the label has given you the greatest amount of exposure so far?
        Yeah definitely, I think particularly after the release of ‘Spoken’. I’d released it as a free download a few months before but after being picked up by Hospital it seems to have become a bit of an anthem which is amazing really!

When you started producing the tracks for the ‘Etherwood’ LP release were they written with the intention of being released as a full album on Med School?
        It was quite a mixture to be honest. The majority of the album already existed in some form or other. A few tracks were written from scratch specifically with the album in mind, some were months old, some were days old. The thing that was most important for me was for the album to take a general stance. I wanted to put a stamp on a certain sound that defined what I’m all about as a producer really.

Do you feel that other musicians on Hospital and Med School have had a significant influence with the sound on your album? Are there other genres that have influenced you as well?
        Definitely! For me, it was all about Hospital Records when I first started listening to d&b. I’ve always loved that liquid sound, particularly London Elektricity, Logistics and High Contrast. Being signed to Med School is wicked as it allows such creativity in production as you can hear with artists like Bop, Lung and Unquote who have also been a big inspiration.

You’ve been playing guitar with Jakwob live. Other than guitar are there other instruments you play from a musical background?
        Only really piano to be honest. Most of the LP tracks were written on guitar or piano and feature pretty heavily throughout the album as they are instruments I’m most comfortable with.

How important do you feel it is to implement some live features with current electronic performances?
        In terms of production, I always try and use as many acoustic sounding elements as possible to keep everything sounding natural. I’ll be looking at establishing a Live set up very soon. I love performing live and I can’t wait to adapt the tracks to feature live keys, drums, guitar and vocals, instead of relying too much on a backing track.

Yourself and other Med School talent just played a great sold out show at Brixton’s Plan B. Are there any plans in the pipeline for more similar shows or an Etherwood album tour?
        Yeah that night was so good! You could tell the crowd really loved the Med School ethos and were totally into the music. We have another coming up in Exeter on Dec 5th and then Plan B on Dec 13th. There are no plans for an album tour right now but I have a lot of shows coming up around the album release which I’m looking forward to.

What’s next in store for you aside from the shows?
        I’m back in the studio, working on new material, currently sorting out some more collaborations. Working with other producers is always a great way to get inspiration. I also have a few great remixes lined up which I’m really looking forward to getting stuck into.

Comment

• Evil_Concussion
          Platinum Poster
          • Aug 2009

different download options
          ♫♫♫ lossless FLAC Version, DL = http://uploaded.net/file/8j0558e8 ♫♫♫
          ♫♫♫ mastered 160kbit MP3, DL = http://uploaded.net/file/f9oa57q8 ♫♫♫

the uploaded.to download links are both now downloadable without premium account or captures in FULL 6MB/sec. ! ENJOY !

Comment

• D.Williams
            Platinum Poster
            • Aug 2006

Dude, seriously what is your deal lol

Comment

• Evil_Concussion
              Platinum Poster
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by D.Williams
              Dude, seriously what is your deal lol
              that no one says anymore uploaded.to is shit ! Now i have the fastet download speed for you guys, no matter where you live and this all without download. So fuck all that lame mediafire, zippyshare and co. Test it, its good or?

Comment

Working...