X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

MR G: Retrospective

MR G - Retrospective LP on Rekids:: Music Reviews with Pre listening Mp3 player included :: I Voice Hype, Lies Gossip

Link contains the streaming tracks

It's about time Mr G was acknowledged as a living legend, even if releasing a retrospective can imply a watershed moment in an artists's career, maybe a parting of the ways. Thankfully Colin McBean shows no signs of slowing down and why should he? His signature sound, eponymously named "G Style" by the man himself which, in his own words, refers to "The hybrid sound of dub, roots, soul and funk thrown together with no rules in a techno way through an analogue system with me having lotz of fun along the way..." is one of the most distinctive around. It's a labour of love, and something revered and admired by the discerning bass head, so where to start? There's something in the notion that once you've heard one Mr G track you've heard them all. It's been said that every writer just has one story to tell, the others are just variations on the original's theme. This could be said of the output of a lot of artists of course, but even with this in mind it's difficult to imagine an output as life-affirming and all-conquering as Mr G's. Listening to this album chronologically is a breathless experience but worth every minute. Besides, being a retrospective means not having to worry about order or concept. Just one great track after another. So prolific and of such a high standard has McBean's output been that for every 'Eye Poke' there's been a 'Hustled'; for every 'G's Strings' a 'Pulsez' and for every 'Magic Potion' an 'I'm Dirty'. He couldn't have included everything but judging by early feedback on this release he should have done. There's an incredible range on show here as well, with directness giving away to subtlety at every turn. The soft percussion and lilting vocal backdrop on tracks like 'The Day After B' have a quasi spiritual slant, and those of 'My Fathers Farda (Mr G's Soundboy Dubz)' along with its soft string section scale surprisingly emotional heights on a sonic shoestring. 'Jet Black' is full of friction, and shudders as it sets its control for the heart of the bass, while the epic 'Going Home' is universal in proportion, exploring the outer limits and, like many other pieces on here, setting a more reflective mood as well as an ethereal one. There's no token slow-mo finish on this vast collection because as good as the tracks that brought his last two albums to a close on Rekids are, the kids want mental beats, a throbbing bass and organised chaos. These are Mr G's calling cards and to over - intellectualise them isn't the point. As groovy as it gets and then some. Artist: MR G
    Title: Retrospective LP
    Label: Rekids

CD1: Goodies From Phoenix G01. Eye Poke02. Lights (G’s Out Dub)03. Hear Me Out04. Pepsi05. My Fathers Farda (Mr. G’s Soundboyz Dub)06. I’m Dirty07. Did You Know08. Jet Black09. Shelter (Unreleased Version)10. Going Home
    CD2: Returning Beatz And Aliases01. Song For My Cantor02. The Day After B03. Moments04. Side Winder05. G’s Strings06. Magic Potion07. Live And Let Live?08. Mmmm09. Gladesmen10. Potion (Unreleased)11. Danger (Glyph Theme)

thanks to thebannedredboywhocriedwolf1 for the linkage.
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Working...