X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Life before the Internet

Would like to get a (real) discussion or list of opinions going on what people's lives were like before the Internet. Do you remember what life was like before the Internet? What are the major improvements, what are the primary detriments(if any) since the Internet has become such a big part of everyone's lives? Do you take time off? What do you think the ideal amount of usage is? Feel free to respond to any or all of these questions or add your own. Brb with my responses.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • thebanned1
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • May 2009

Re: Life before the Internet

my life has changed greatly since i started using the net, used to by music by travelling to the cities to get to the only shops in the area that stocked the music i like, now i just sit of my ass and listen to every tune that's been released, i used to have a closed circle of friends in a certain area, now i have friends all over the world..... in reality i could go on like this all night as would many of you thinking of replying to this
    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• unkle
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Mar 2007

Now, I cant imagine the life without internet.
      most of the news and most of the things I want to know
      I get it from the internet.
      before, I suppose I was a little more creative
      to do something with my free time.

Comment

• Haziel
        Likes a finger upthere
        • Jan 2007

I used to do things like hang out with friends more, play soccer ,surf etc I did all these things repeatedly which they were very fun for a moderate period of time however at the same time lacking information of what other options I have made it in a way dull just because i didn't know what else to do. Also I was in a different stage of my life were these things are normal things to do during your teen and young adult years.

I feel that with the information that the internet provides me with, I'm able to do way more other stuff that before i wasn't able to do just becuase i didnt have the information at hand. For example,trips, djing , cooking , making awesome cocktail drinks ...lol....etc. I have tons of hobbies now thanx to teh internetz .
        Last edited by Haziel; November 23, 2013, 02:08:51 AM.

Comment

• floridaorange
          I'm merely a humble butler
          • Dec 2005

I agree that the www has brought people together in a way that wasn't previously possible. When you met a person it seemed more like fate, now meeting people is a lot easier, since you can just introduce yourself on FB or whatever, or invite someone to meet after seeing their linkedin page or whatever.

I'm just glad it wasn't around during my high school years. I read recently that kids are weaker and slower (at running) than generations in the past, because they aren't playing outside as much. But that's partially parents faults for not helping their kids manage their time better.

Musically speaking it's been great of course. Pretty soon phones will record video live I bet. That will be interesting.

I think most of us though are probably lucky we didn't have the internet coming of age while we were kids.

Smart phones have increased my internet usage, but I intentionally take breaks sometimes for days from going online now. It feels good to disconnect. But I'm always playing music .

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Garrick
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

you know what baffles my mind is how large companies, global companies, used to operate before the internet. i just can't imagine all the manual effort that had to go on.
            Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• thebanned1
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Garrick
              you know what baffles my mind is how large companies, global companies, used to operate before the internet. i just can't imagine all the manual effort that had to go on.

and those that have been lost, for me now you'll be lucky if you can go buy a cd on the mainstreet
              How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Sorry... it was before the internet.

hmmmm before, very local, for better or worse.

Life after:
                It has allowed me to make friends (real) with some amazing people, who I've met the span of over a decade all over the world. It also has allowed me to find some amazing music and things. It shrunk the world for me.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                  Anyone have Styx livesets?
                  • Jun 2004

the immediacy (speed) of finding information is just mind blowing. you could be talking for weeks before you found out about an actor in a movie, (or similar siutation) Now while you are sitting watching the movie - you google his/her name and find out everything about them in seconds.

The commnet about shrinking the world is definitely appropriate.
                  ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

Working...