what makes you choose a mix as your favorite?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

what makes you choose a mix as your favorite?

So of course track selection and mixing, but what I'm getting at is beyond those 2 components, what makes a mix YOUR favorite nowadays? And I'm referring mostly to listening at home, not at a club or out, because that's something different.

For me, usually the mix has a few surprises in it, tracks I wouldn't have expected. It's like a risk the dj took and the risk paid off. Secondly I suppose the overall feeling of the mix, which nowadays for me is usually a bit more calm and cool than my younger years. And lastly, a mix that keeps me listening, due to it's unique flow, something that keeps me guessing. I don't really have any other specifics I look for in a mix. Which is why I have many many favorites at any given moment.

Anyway, what makes you choose a mix as your favorite? No trolling

It was fun while it lasted...
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: what makes you choose a mix as your favorite?

For me, the mix has to contain tracks that interest me and that are consistently good; it only takes one bad track in a 60 minute set to put me off listening to the entire set.

Also, the first few tracks have to be spot on for me - if I'm not interested after 10 minutes I switch off.

At the moment, Dave Seaman's Radio Therapy shows are my favourite mixes - lots of great tracks, no major duds and they all have a very good 'feel' to them

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

if its by Tiesto then I download it immediately.
      Oh wait you said no trollin ?

it always going to depend on the type of music and or musical mood I'm in. In general they need to start slower, or more melodic, then pick up the pace over the set and get more driving or lock you into the groove.

Exceptions being the more eclectic sets - like the Ninja tunes stuff, or Weatherall where i like to see completely unexpected styles go together, or tracks that have no right being put together, but they work.
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Track selection and programming, seldom pay attention to mixing anymore as long as it's not a train wreck. And with digital mixing these days just about any mix put out there is technically listenable.

Beyond that:

surprise, Extrawelt surprised me so much at ADE his set overshadowed Digweed's. Or eye opening like Garnier, when I dance to shit I've never danced to or liked before, I consider it an education.

complexity, a lot of stuff going on with Max Graham's IDM influenced productions and his Transition sets. I can skim the melodies on the surface or delve deeper into the IDM bits that tickle my brain.

deepness, or dark, interchangeable I guess. Or nice fat basslines.

groove, or energy. A very tight groove that usually comes from good programming.

ambience, which is a whole gamut of stuff. On the deep end I like stuff that's darker or spacey—not necessarily prog, K&D would fall into that camp too.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• jay813
          Platinum Poster
          • May 2005

I think its going to be different for everyone obviously but I'd like to think what makes a set a favorite of mine is a combination of track selection and mixing which creates a certain "energy" its that energy that gets tied to a special moment whether it be related to music or just something good in your life that you can reflect upon later on in life makes them favorites.

Example. Sasha's first involver reminds me and my wife of when we first met. Its one of those things we bonded over as it was new to the both of us at the time. I'll occasionally throw it on and it puts a smile on both if our faces.

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Great responses, it's really interesting to read just how specific some era are able to get with why they like what they like. The specificity is amazing.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• gizze
              Gold Gabber
              • Jul 2010

For me it is all about flow. Very seldom do I listen to mixes these days when I am not chilled out at home, therefore I like smoother transitions and for mixes to really be an hour long story.
              If I am out then I tend to like big changes, to jump around from deep to progressive to indie to techno, as long as the next track is better than the last of course! And I like very obvious transitions when I am out as well, I like to be on the edge of my seat, so to speak, wondering if it is going to work or not, and then BAM! The next track drops and it is perfect!

But, as I said, at home I want flow, I want to get to the end of the set and think 'yeah, some nice tunes in that'.

Ricky Ryan does it for me, the way he programmes his sets is just perfect for listening at home, more like a classical concert than a dance mix in that regard.

Guy Gerber tends to mix well as well.

With modern kit, Rekordbox, Serato, Traktor, Ableton etc. there is no excuse for poor mixing, and if anything it has made me realise those that really do have an ear for it and those that do not, I am still amazed at how many DJs can't even mix in key, seriously, you have all the time in the world to hear if the next track works or not, and how many simple can't hear that they simply don't go together is amazing.

I guess the problem is for me is I prefer my own mixes, they are the tunes I love put together in a set, I don't have to worry about having a couple of tracks I don't like, cause if I don't like them they won't be on there!
              My Soundcloud page...
              GuyMiddleton's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• unkle
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gizze

But, as I said, at home I want flow, I want to get to the end of the set and think 'yeah, some nice tunes in that'.

Ricky Ryan does it for me, the way he programmes his sets is just perfect for listening at home, more like a classical concert than a dance mix in that regard.

^^^^ Agree with that definitly.

For me, the set has to be consistent and solid, plus, good tracks, obviously
                creating an atmosphere to make it easier to hear, I dont like to much noise
                like some techno tracks.
                Long transitions between the mixes at the point
                where the track it loses into the other. Hernan is a genius doing this.

Comment

• dusk
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

The Danceability factor always does it for me... don't get be wrong.. I also enjoy the dark broody stuff... but in some instances its the element of surprise... its like the first time you hear a track and go ooooooh la la... I HAVE to HAVE this!
                  ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• thebanned1
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • May 2009

has to be lots of cow bell all the way through it
                    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• nelinho
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Sep 2011

The right balance between being an electic mix (through diverse tracks...but not necessarily a track of a tap dripping with an echo filter for 9 minutes) and current sounds I am into (without being too one dimensional and over played sounds)

The occasional train wreck or loose mixing can be compensated for by decent tunes.

Eg. Radoo's transitions mix had a pretty bad train wreck in the first or second mix of the track...the set ended up being quite decent though. That is my example anyway.

Comment

• nelinho
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by dusk
                        The Danceability factor always does it for me... don't get be wrong.. I also enjoy the dark broody stuff... but in some instances its the element of surprise... its like the first time you hear a track and go ooooooh la la... I HAVE to HAVE this!
                        For me there is headphones/at home mixes and dancefloor/club mixes...

Some mixes work well in both scenarios. ..others not for me.

Comment

Working...