Playing this with a straight bat, I can't help but think sixty too high a number for mix compilations genuinely considered "groundbreaking"... I mean mix albums have been around for about 20 years or so? That would mean on average 3 "groundbreaking" albums a year? Hell's teeth, I'm surprised there'd be any ground left...
60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
Collapse
X
-
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
Playing this with a straight bat, I can't help but think sixty too high a number for mix compilations genuinely considered "groundbreaking"... I mean mix albums have been around for about 20 years or so? That would mean on average 3 "groundbreaking" albums a year? Hell's teeth, I'm surprised there'd be any ground left...320 requester -
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
There was a mix CD from Parks and Wilson from back in the day that was pretty damned good - forget the name though
Northern Exposure 1 and 2 are essential - I remember hearing the track Raincry for the first time - wonderful piece of music
I also loved the concept behind the mix series 24:7
Don't forget Danny Howells and Nocturnal Frequencies
Comment
-
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
I thought sasha and digweed's first renaissance comp was groundbreaking, but perhaps not in a good way. The days of mix tapes (played live) were replaced by mixes manufactured in a studio. People became used to hearing flawless sets and, maybe subconsciously, then thought live (real) mixes inferiorComment
-
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
Future sound of london's ISDN transmissions were groundbreaking, way ahead of the game in many ways. I can't really name any compilations that I'd call groundbreaking that were no more than a selection of similar tunes, programmed together on a computer, no matter how listenable they are.Comment
-
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
joris voorn's balance 14 was groundbreaking in my opinion! and i haven't heard anything similar to it since.Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.
"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment
-
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
painting on silence i think.There was a mix CD from Parks and Wilson from back in the day that was pretty damned good - forget the name though
Northern Exposure 1 and 2 are essential - I remember hearing the track Raincry for the first time - wonderful piece of music
I also loved the concept behind the mix series 24:7
Don't forget Danny Howells and Nocturnal Frequencies
I also really liked the zero tolerance cd by gab oliver from back in the day. Those guys really had their own soundmotherloverComment
-
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
Looks like it was compiled by Resident Advisor, all kidding aside who was the 20 year old put that list together.Originally posted by ShpiraSo came back last night...
Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....
All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
Originally posted by IlluminateLet me get this straight.
So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:
1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...
Am I close here?Comment
-
Comment
-
Re: 60 most groundbreaking mix albums of all time
Agree.
To be fair, Diggers' Live in London 4 x Cd set is groundbreaking, if only for the fact (i) a DJ has the balls to put out a live set and (ii) it's mixed properly on the fly - a rarity these days.sigpicSimonR
This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,206
Posts: 1,238,510
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment