X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doobie581
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Best mp3 players????

i was thinking about buying an mp3 player and was just wondering if any body out there had any insight as to which would be best. i know that the first choice for many would be to go with the ipod, but i've read here and other boards or magazines that there is too many problems with them. i was just wondering if any body on this board owned either the Nomad Zen jukebox or the Phillips HDD100 and knew whether these are as problematic as the ipods. im leaning towards the nomad because the capacity is between 20 and 60 gigs for about the same price as the ipod 20 gigger. any help is appreciated
    ". . . Could it be that you would understand this beat to which we dance, more clearly had you been given the chance. So as you struggle to find the feel with your feet, ask yourself can you dance to my beat."
  • Civic_Zen
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

The iRiver iHP-140 (40GB) or iHP-120 (20GB) is hands down, the best MP3 player on the market right now. And yes it is better then the iPod. Three reasons why it is better:

1) Lithium Polymer Battery as opposed to Lithium Ion. Lithium Polymer is the latest and greatest in battery technology, and lets the iRiver last much longer then the iPod for those long road trips.

2) Will record to the device in many ways. Voice recorder with external mic, along with audio in jack which would allow you to record something in real time. Whether its from your radio, your friend's mixer as he tears it up on the dance floor, or whatever

3) Costs quite a bit less, for pretty much the same thing. Other then what is listed above.

Only real "con" the iRiver as opposed the iPod, the iPod has better Mac support. Which is rather irrelevant if you ask me. Friend with Mac didn't have any problems, and considerably outperforms his older iPod in battery life.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
    "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• doobie581
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

wow, i wasn't even aware of the iRiver. seems good to go. thanx zen.
      ". . . Could it be that you would understand this beat to which we dance, more clearly had you been given the chance. So as you struggle to find the feel with your feet, ask yourself can you dance to my beat."

Comment

• Trancelucent One
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

IRiver all the way baby!! I love mine, although it's only 128MB. I plan on upgrading soon. The battery life is awesome!! I work out 5 days a week for about 45 min and I haven't changed the battery in at least a month. I can't wait to upgrade to a bigger player!
        ~Pam

I like it dark and dirty!!!

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

anyone seen that new one Phillips has?

Comment

• doobie581
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
            anyone seen that new one Phillips has?
            thats the HDD100. . .only seen it on the philips website. it looks very attractive but dont know how well it performs.

Comment

• sjaracz2
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

I Have the nomad jukebox 20 gig and like it alot has not given me any problems
              Nectar is to Bees As Money is to a Women

Comment

• Garrick
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sjaracz2
                i have that too and sometimes the connectivity to usb doesn't seem to work well. jibgolly and myself have had that problem. both our players have frozen up once or twice too, but thats an easy fix... just reset it.

overall, its great... definitely worth the money because it seems to be much cheaper than alternatives.
                Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Galapidate
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

Are any of the iRivers very compact and small? Like are any of them almost unrecognizable if you have them in your pocket? I want something kind of tiny like that.

Comment

• Trancelucent One
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Galapidate
                    Are any of the iRivers very compact and small? Like are any of them almost unrecognizable if you have them in your pocket? I want something kind of tiny like that.
                    There's tons of them got to http://www.iriveramerica.com/estore/. I have a flash memory one, it's only a few inches long by maybe 2 inches wide. What I like about it, is that you can store other files on it as well. That helps for transferring info b/n computers.
                    ~Pam

I like it dark and dirty!!!

Comment

• Galapidate
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Trancelucent One
                      Originally posted by Galapidate
                      There's tons of them got to http://www.iriveramerica.com/estore/. I have a flash memory one, it's only a few inches long by maybe 2 inches wide. What I like about it, is that you can store other files on it as well. That helps for transferring info b/n computers.
                      Two inches wide is pretty wide :P

Comment

• razvan
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Get an iPOD. My favourite ...
                        "I don't know what will be used in the next world war, but the 4th will be fought with stones."

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by razvan
                          Get an iPOD. My favourite ...
                          I'll second that.

Comment

• neoee
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Something else Civic didn't mention is multi codec support. When I first bought mine it only supported mp3 and wma now you can d/l the firmware for OGG support. Not only that but they continually add features other features through firmware upgrades. I still have my complaints about the product but even with the bugs they still provide a better product than any other company out there. Has anyone seen the new iRiver PMP-120?

A bit much for my needs but still a neat new toy.
                            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rubyraks
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Garrick
                              Originally posted by sjaracz2
                              i have that too and sometimes the connectivity to usb doesn't seem to work well. jibgolly and myself have had that problem. both our players have frozen up once or twice too, but thats an easy fix... just reset it.

overall, its great... definitely worth the money because it seems to be much cheaper than alternatives.
                              same here. It froze a few times, but a quick reset and all's well. Another great thing about the nomad is the sound quality which is absolutely excellent.
                              "Work like you don't need the money.
                              Love like you've never been hurt.
                              Dance like nobody's watching.
                              Sing like nobody's listening.
                              Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

Working...