Darkside - live @ Stereolux, Nantes, France (03.21.2014)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Virgil
    Gold Gabber
    • Sep 2010

Darkside - live @ Stereolux, Nantes, France (03.21.2014)

originally posed at ARTE Concert
    BLACKsmith - We Are Living In A Dark Age
    https://soundcloud.com/sasa_blacksmith/we-are-living-in-a-dark-age
    ​.
    ~ the darkest hour is just before the dawn ~

• Evil_Concussion
    Platinum Poster
    • Aug 2009

Re: Darkside - live @ Stereolux, Nantes, France (03.21.2014)

Darkside aka Nicolas Jaar and Dave Harrington -Live- (Other People) @ Stereolux - Nantes, France (21.03.2014)

Nicolas Jaar would like you to forget what you know about Nicolas Jaar. The Chilean-American producer has cut an impressive figure in the dance community over the last few years, from 2011's beguiling debut Space Is Only Noise, to his increasingly well-regarded live performances that bridge the gap between his erudite, off-kilter creations and more traditionally body-moving fare. Not to mention the diverse, intriguing releases from other artists that came out on his own Clown & Sunset label. At the age of 23, Jaar's built the kind of CV that most post-collegiate twenty-somethings would kill for, but as we sling back a few Budweisers last month at the chic Brooklyn eatery River Styx, he's less interested in past glories, more invested in new beginnings.

"I feel the need to start clean," he says intently, decked in a comfortable-looking grey long-sleeve shirt. "It's been a year since I graduated college, and I feel like starting some shit in this crazy city." The first step: closing the doors on Clown & Sunset, a birthday present Jaar received when he was 19. "When I started it, I didn't know what the hell a label was," Jaar admits. "It took a lot of my time-- I was stupid, naive, immature, and not sure of what I was doing. I didn't know what I was getting into. I only knew that I didn't want to release my music through other people."

Darkside started taking shape as a project after the release of Space Is Only Noise, when Jaar and Epstein started putting together a full band for Jaar's live show. "I said to Will, 'Who's the best musician you know at Brown?' He said, 'Dave, he plays bass.' I said, 'Tell him to bring a guitar instead.'" Jaar and Harrington hit it off and formed a creative partnership that led to the oblong drones and glowing tones of Psychic. "Dave has experimental tastes, whereas my taste is more mainstream. We fit like a little puzzle. You can hear how we complete each other."

Psychic was recorded over the course of two years, split between time at Jaar's New York City home, Harrington's parents' barn upstate, and a temporary space in Paris that they stayed during downtime between tours; given the sporadic studio sessions, sustaining the album's front-to-back, constantly evolving vibe was a creative challenge during the recording process. "We wanted this record to feel experiential rather than musical, so we'd be going back into large chunks of the album saying, 'No, we need an organ really low in the mix here so we feel like it's still a world.' It's music, but it's also this little crystal orb that's full of these feelings that are crazy, and painful, and maybe ecstatic."

https://soundcloud.com/evil_concussion/2014-03-21-darkside-live-other

♫♫♫ HQ 192 kbit MP3 - Download = 2014-03-21 - Darkside aka Nmp3 (109,89 MB) - uploaded.net ♫♫♫

Comment

Working...