X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evangelion
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

nine inch nails - with teeth

I've never really been the biggest NIN fan at all. I loved Pretty Hate Machine, but after they/he hit it big and their shit was just everywhere I pretty much wrote them off and never looked back. But for some reason I was very intrigued when I heard a new album was coming out.

I downloaded a promo copy off of Soulseek (don't say anything, I'll be buying my Dual Disc copy next week) and listened to it last night. I must say it is really damn good. What really stands out to me are the drums. From what I read Trent had Dave Grohl come in and record all these different drum tracks, which he then worked into the songs as needed. They are real drums, buy you can tell they are programmed. The effect is quite remarkable. So basically I am a born agin NIN fan. Yeah for me.

My friends and I were going to ride up to Atlanta to catch their show there later this month. Well, tickets sold out as soon as they went on sale on ticketmaster.com. Dont know why, but we didn't even get a chance to buy one. Pretty lame but he says in the new issue of Revolver that they will be on an arena tour later this year, whereas this tour is primarily large clubs and concert halls.
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Re: nine inch nails - with teeth

Looking forward to giving this a listen. I agree that 'Pretty Hate Machine' was by far the best album although I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Downward Spiral'. If you've never given a listen to 'Further Down the Spiral', I would suggest doing so.

On a related note for all of you producers out there:
    Originally posted by Trent Reznor
    Hello all-
    For quite some time I've been interested in the idea of allowing you the ability to tinker around with my tracks - to create remixes, experiment, embellish or destroy what's there. I tried a few years ago to do this in shockwave with very limited results.
    After spending some quality time sitting in hotel rooms on a press tour, it dawned on me that the technology now exists and is already in the hands of some of you. I got to work experimenting and came up with something I think you'll enjoy.
    What I'm giving you in this file is the actual multi-track audio session for "the hand that feeds" in GarageBand format. This is the entire thing bounced over from the actual Pro Tools session we recorded it into. I imported and converted the tracks into AppleLoop format so the size would be reasonable and the tempo flexible.
    So...
    You need a Macintosh and you need GarageBand 2.0. If you have a newer Mac, you already have the software. The more RAM you have the better. I did this on a PowerBook 1.67 w/ 2G RAM but it has been running on far less powerful systems.
    Drag the file over to your hard disk and double click it. Hit the space bar. Listen.
    Change the tempo. Add new loops. Chop up the vocals. Turn me into a woman. Replay the guitar. Anything you'd like.
    I gave this to my crew and band to test out and all work effectively stopped for a while - it's fun to mess around with. I've now heard a country version of the track as well as an abstract Latin interpretation (thanks, Leo).
    There are some copyright issues involved, so read the notice that pops up. Giving this away is an experiment. I'm interested to see what comes of it, what issues are raised and what the results are.
    Have fun-
    Trent Reznor
    April 15, 2005
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• lopark
      Getting warmed up
      • Jun 2004

I'm a fan of most of Mr. Reznor's prior works, "The Fragile" being my favorite. When I first heard "With Teeth", I thought it was so-so, but it quickly grew on me. Now, I think it rocks!

Read Trent's Interview in the new Remix magazine. Trent says, in order to give it a 'more human' sound, he recorded live musicians instead of the finely-tuned MIDI programming like he normally does. He also set a tight schedule for himself as he had to complete 2 songs with vocals every 10 days. I like that work method. Might try it myself.

And yes, making his latest single freely available in Garageband format was a very cool move!

Comment

• evangelion
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

I read something about how he was on a strict schedule of making 2 demos a week...that was his goal. Whatever method he used he must have gotten the most out of it, cause this album rules.

Comment

• il manzo
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

I like it.
          The album is so so though.

Comment

• Pataky P
            asdf_imo
            • Jun 2004

Thanks the info!!I like you!!!

Comment

• GerryD
              I love skanking
              • Jun 2004

Gotta say myself that i was never a big fan until like 2 years ago. When i was younger i was actually was at 2 differnt venues(ie lollapalooza)where they(he) played at and didnt even bother watching.

The new record grows on ya.. I am actually going to see them May 19th in Philly . Looking foward to catching thm live for the first time :o
              "We're professional entertainers. You give us money, we entertain you.

Comment

• rewing3
                I really don't care
                • Jun 2004

I have heard a coupole of tracks. So far I am impressed. I can't wait to pick the new cd. I got a live show from march 23 2005 if anyone is interested pm me and I will add you to my list and you can just d/l it from me from soulseek or i will zip the file up and send it to useing yousendit.
                Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• frisky
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

Oh man, I was a HUGE NIN freak all through college... I mean I used to go to all the concerts, collect all the imports as well as the B-sides... everything...

Im def gonna get this record.

f.
                  frisky Radio - feelin' frisky?
                  Now with 70% Less Fat :: http://www.friskyradio.com/frisky_low.m3u

Comment

• superdave
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

i just listened to it and think it's really good. i was a big fan years ago too and this is a good album. the dual disc release looks really nice.

i listened to it from a link through nine inch nails website at nin.com.
                    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• ZendoBro
                      Mr. Roboto
                      • Dec 2004

I look forward to hearing the new album in it's entirety. There is definitely a lot of hype surrounding it.
                      I am no cyberwhore...
                      http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• evangelion
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rewing3
                        I got a live show from march 23 2005...
                        There are 3 shows from 03/23, 03/24 and 03/25 making the rounds on the Bit Torrent scene. I listened to the 03/23 show last night and it is flawless. The guy that recorded it used these $1200 mics, and it shows. It has to be one of the best audience recordings I've ever heard.

Comment

• ddr
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by _evangelion_
                          Originally posted by rewing3
                          I got a live show from march 23 2005...
                          There are 3 shows from 03/23, 03/24 and 03/25 making the rounds on the Bit Torrent scene. I listened to the 03/23 show last night and it is flawless. The guy that recorded it used these $1200 mics, and it shows. It has to be one of the best audience recordings I've ever heard.
                          any chance i could get a link to those? -_-

-ddr
                          "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• ddr
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Jun 2004

nevermind, found them on soulseek =D

-ddr
                            "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• ger stokes
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jun 2004

00-nine_inch_nails-live_in_davis_ca_03-25-2005-ykk

this is the best quality one out there.
                              https://hearthis.at/gerstokes/

Comment

Working...