X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

here we go again

this is gonna be the next shiavo. pro abortion vs pro lifers battling out. this little girls life in the line of fire no less. can we say Supreme Court? another evangelical right vs satan loving hippie left.

this is just fucked up.

A pregnant 13-year-old girl in Florida has been told she cannot have an abortion because she lacks the maturity to make such a decision.
    A state court granted an injunction which prevents the girl from terminating her pregnancy.

She is three months pregnant and had planned to have an abortion on Tuesday of this week.

The American Civil Liberties Union says it will launch an urgent appeal against the ruling.

'Too young to choose'

Florida's department of children and families intervened and took the matter to court, arguing the teenager, who is under the care of the state, is too young and immature to make an informed medical decision. Judge Ronald Alvarez in Palm Beach accepted that argument and has granted a temporary injunction and psychological evaluation, which effectively blocks her from terminating the pregnancy.

It is a case which, once again, plays into the heated and divisive debate about abortion in America.

The judge's ruling comes in spite of Florida state law which specifically does not require a minor to seek parental consent before an abortion.

The American Civil Liberties Union 's executive director in Florida, Howard Simon, said forcing a 13-year-old to carry on an unwanted pregnancy to term, against her wishes, is not only illegal and unconstitutional, it is cruel.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.
  • krelm
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Re: here we go again

Why the fuck is it always Florida? Something in the water down there or somethin'?
    Broken Symmetry on mcast.mercuryserver.com

www.krelmatrix.com - archives & mixes
    www.myspace.com/satansfluffer - general tomfoolery

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
    - Stimutacs

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

wow.

wether you're pro life or pro choice...i think we can all agree a 13yr old girl doesn't need to have child.

Comment

• thesightless
        • Jun 2004

jenks, congrats, you used common sense.

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
          wow.

wether you're pro life or pro choice...i think we can all agree a 13yr old girl doesn't need to have child.
          yep. especially a 13 yr old girl that doesn't want one.

Comment

• thesightless
            • Jun 2004

whats really intruiging to me, in the legal sense, is what happens if she does something to terminate the pregnancy like not eating or something along the lines of physical damage to herself. does having an abortion after court saying no lead to manslaughter/murder in the legal eyes? then where does that turn when looking at RvsW. abortion isnt murder if your 18+? but murder if you are under that? deffo planning on following the legal eagle commentary and future lawmaker debates.

Comment

• toasty
              Sir Toastiness
              • Jun 2004

Yep. You've also got some interplay in the law, too -- in Florida, a child does not need to give parental consent or notification to get an abortion. Evidently, however, if you don't have parents, you do have to get the state's permission. Crazy.

Given that apparent inconsistency, I'm not sure the state is on particularly sound legal footing -- if it gets dragged out long enough, though, and the fetus becomes viable, it won't matter.

Stepping back from it all for a moment, I'm glad to see that the nut jobs that currently have a stranglehold on the normally rational republican party haven't learned their lesson from the Terri Schiavo fiasco and are once again attempting to use their power to stick the government's nose where it doesn't belong. Perhaps if this keeps up, the country will wise up and vote some of these jokers out of office -- or at least the republicans who actually believe in limited government will reclaim their party.

Comment

• Yao
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Unbelieveable...I go with Jenks on this one: a13-year old shouldn't have a child. I think that if it comes, she should just lay on the porch with one of those pro-lifers. Here's life, cherish it: I can't support it.

What do they expext of a 13-year old girl? Dammit.
                Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• FM
                  Wooooooo!
                  • Jun 2004

NYTimes today...circuit judge rules that the abortion can proceed...

this girl needs some help though...she got pregnant after running away from a state home.
                  FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                  "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                  Facebook!
                  A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• rewing3
                    I really don't care
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                    wow.

Agree. But leave it to liberal american to screw things up.
                    Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• thesightless
                      • Jun 2004

actually, i think the conservatives lead to this coming to the head it came to. they were the ones who banned the procedure in the first place. i would think the left would have given her the consent.

Comment

• Yao
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

I can guarantee you that...lol
                        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• sammwalk
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

It's not a "liberal" or "conservative" problem- it's people placing their restrictions on others. I could see how both liberals and conservatives would agree to let her have the abortion: conservatives are for limited government intervention, whereas liberals would want the teen to be free to make her own choice. But now "liberal" has become the scapegoat term for the defense of any unpopular opinion, and "conservative" has begun to take on the notion of religious fanatic. Most people are way in between; in these situations the problem is intrusion into judical affairs by powerful lobbies in attempts to gain political power and support, all at the expense of whoever is at stake.

Whether the woman is 13 or 31, the justification of her abortion should be based not on her age but on whether the fetus's life is considered expendable or not. On this people will never agree. It is therefore the obligation of the state not to interfere in a situation grounded solely on belief, and the girl should be able to have the abortion if she chooses.

Comment

• gsturm
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2004

The good news is that in a few years Justice Luttig or Thomas will write the Supreme Court opinion overturning Roe, so we won't have to trouble ourselves with debates like this any longer.

Comment

• Kobe
                              I wish I had an interesting User title
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                              whats really intruiging to me, in the legal sense, is what happens if she does something to terminate the pregnancy like not eating or something along the lines of physical damage to herself.
                              I think the right wingers might know where they can get a spare feeding tube!

All jokes aside I think you're first comment is spot on, the senseless fighting between the two groups of extremists is dragging this country down. The dollar is in the shitter and our contry is falling desperately behind in enginerring and education, but all we are focusing on is some vegatable and a knocked up 12 year old.

We really need a kick-in-the-ass of a wake up call before it's too late.
                              Beats are my crack.

Comment

Working...