X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

What Has Mercury Server meant to you?

This a question I consider from time to time... Especially when I reflect on how long it's been since I first joined. Will respond later today after giving this question further consideration..

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Zover
    Banned
    • Mar 2014

Re: What Has Mercury Server meant to you?

Why do you have to wait, if you have given it some consideration in the past?

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

I've lived a fairly portable/virtual life with a lot of changes and relocations. Singapore, Australia, China, US: Sadly or thankfully MS has basically been one of the constants in my life, it's my virtual local pub/club. Even when I go traveling I still get on MS

I think we've had threads like this in the past and a lot of us have MS as one of the default open tabs in the browser. I have MS, my Gmail, Facebook, and my torrent site as the default

It's just one of those places I keep coming back to even if I get tired of the negativity and bickering (which I've also learnt my lesson and to distance myself from, too much stress in real life to put up with virtual animosity too).

I think we don't realize it now because MS is always there, but like all the internet greats, this place is one of the cornerstones of my internet at least. It's always a pleasure and special to meet a fellow MSer.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• ddr
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
        this place is one of the cornerstones of my internet
        pretty much summed up what MS is for me.

it has always been about the music and it continues to be and i mostly frequent the 'Promos and Recommendations' for that reason. if i find a mix that blows me away, i usually post it in the 'What are you listening to' thread and it always brings me joy when fellow MS'rs like my posts. it's the small things i guess

i have yet to meet anyone on this board... lack of travel and being in Oregon, USA kind of explains that. i had plans to meet up with the legendary Jibgolly (RIP) at WMC but... that never really materialized obviously.
        "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• floridaorange
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Zover
          Why do you have to wait, if you have given it some consideration in the past?
          a) because I want to further consider it first.

b) because this is not my 9th grade English class . or is it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercury Server as Feather put it, is like my online pub as well. Glad I waited to post because I really like the way Feather puts thoughts to keyboard). I also appreciate that Mercury Server is not Facebook, or Gmail, or one of the other websites I frequent that is constantly changing. MS is a true artistic outlet, as its based around music, one of the greatest if not the most powerful art form on the planet. MS gives me a place to really reflect upon where Ive been, who I've been, and where I'm going. Not necessarily in profound ways, but perhaps. I can see what kind of music I was listening to 2 years ago and how I was communicating here and what I'm listening to now, and such. MS gives me a place to read the writings of people from all over the world (when it's in English or some form thereof) . That broadens my perspective on life and how interconnected we are which I believe has increased my understanding of different cultures to some extent and perhaps helped me be more empathic. At the end of the day, I really value this place as well. It's a constant. A constant source of music.

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

Pleased to say I've met feather twice ... Bedrock O2 Academy and Bedrock ADE

Plus met plenty of others too .. all good folk.
            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Zover
              Banned
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by floridaorange
              a) because I want to further consider it first.
              well how long do you need?

Maybe be you should have posted the first post after your 20th consideration.

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

maybe!

Comment

• Illuminate
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Aug 2009

For me personally, I do not think it means anything, or maybe I have just failed to comprehend the definition of ‘mean.’ However, I am very grateful for the myriad of members contributing to this overall forum from P&R to movie recommendations, and everything in between. People give up their time and efforts to ensure this place delivers on its intention to be the best dance music forum on the internet, and I can conclude that so far, personally it has been.

In comparison to other forums and even in the facebook world, I have not come across a better run, and accessible categorised sections anywhere. In turn a commutative effort by the mods and the likes has made this the reason why. For others I understand that this place does have a strong connection, especially with Jib’s and the meet ups, possibly as I am new-ish member this could be the reason why I can say it does not 'mean' anything.

Overall, I just hope that [ms] sustains through the thick of times, and as always it is great to see members signing in and providing a say, albeit as we get older, and other spheres of life minimises our time to sign-in, we can only hope to find new members that can look further than just the P&R.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                  Sbando
                  - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                  Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                  Bob
                  "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                  the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                  KiwiTollway

Comment

• sbando
                    Going back to Romford
                    • Apr 2008

Unrequited love.
                    ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                    ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                    ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
                    ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• nick007
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Oct 2007

Firstly its my daily fix of everything that is music and the net and secondly its having to look up the word "unrequited"

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

I think you're right Illuminate, meeting members does make a big difference. I've met 5 or so over the years and talked with Kamal, and it's great to put a face with posts you've been reading for a while. What I found is how some members seem in person very much like they do in their posts, while others not at all .

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

Living a nomadic existence as I do, I met a few of my best friends here. First thing I do when i move to a new place is see if anyone from MS lives nearby.
                          motherlover

Comment

• diegoff
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

I stop on MS every day, two or three times a day. It´s the best site for good music and recommendations... and the nonsense thread, of course
                            I´d like to meet some of the MS guys/girls, but I´m far from everywhere hehe
                            Anyways, thank you
                            It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• Micko
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Oct 2004

I've been buzzing around this site for 10 years now and think of it as essential when it comes to discovering new music. While I never actually met any of the gang, it certainly feels like I did Some quality people around these parts.

Alas, after 3 great kids, a full time job and some study along the way, I don't frequent here as much as I used to. Having said that I make a concerted effort to keep the ambient thread alive.

I always get excited when a new Luke Fair/Ricky Ryan/Hisham Zahran set comes along

Comment

Working...