• Show
Clear All
  • DavidJoseph
    Getting Somewhere
    • Oct 2004

King Unique on Perceptions 5-9-05

PERCEPTIONS

Hosted by Dres & David Josephs

When: every second and fourth Monday of the month starting at 3pm EST.

Where: www.protonradio.com

Come join us as the boys from King Unique tantalize the airwaves with a very special live mix, which both myself and Dres and Matthew Roberts from KU felt was so good it deserved to be aired. We hope you enjoy!

A little about King Unique:

King Unique are two guys called Matt who make rough-edged dirty house music, Matthew Roberts and Matt ?Watkins? Thomas, a pair of studio junkies with a taste for bulldozer beats and sick synthesizers.

Over the last four years their records and remixes have hit home with house-heads, nu-ravers and electro-rockers alike, being championed by everyone from Sasha to Danny Howells, Carl Cox to Tiesto, and Pete Tong to Zane Lowe. Their music has turned up everywhere from Hollywood soundtracks to mobile ringtones, not to mention countless compilations and mix albums.

Their Decks?n?FX DJ sets have made them regulars in some of the world?s most respected clubs and biggest festivals, turning heads with both the music they play and the way they play it.

King Unique hit the floor running in 2001, claiming the title of Undisputed Remix Champs by scoring five Essential New Tunes in five months on Pete Tong?s BBC Radio 1 show. The King Unique sound has been in constant demand since, appearing on dozens of remixes including King Dong sized floor-fillers such as Underworld?s ?Two Months Off?, Planet Funk?s ?The Switch?, Mutiny?s ?The Virus?, Jamiroquai?s ?You Give Me Something?, Luke Slater?s ?Nothing At All?, Foremost Poets? ?Moonraker? and Baz?s ?Believers?. Most recently King Unique have reworked Las Vegas rockers The Killers? ?Somebody Told Me?, Dirty Vegas? ?Walk Into the Sun? and Chable and Bonicci?s ?Ride?.

The productions make for an equally impressive line-up; ?Obscene, dirty, filthy, immoral? set out the King Unique agenda on ?Dirty? by Dirty, the first of a series of singles released on Junior Boys Own. Next they raised the stakes with ?Sugarhigh?, a track dreamt up in a tiny techno bar in Tokyo whilst under the influence of too much vodka and too little sleep. A melodic powerhouse of a track that fused classic house and melodic Detroit vibes, ?Sugarhigh? gave KU a sixth Essential New Tune. The next King Unique single ?Lighters/Music Please? followed in early 2003 and saw KU experimenting with new sounds. ?Lighters? poured out a relentless cascade of slow and heavy electro-house that ?sound like it?s raining synthesizers on your head? (Mixmag), while the DJ-friendly ?Music Please? delivered a slice of psychedelic breakbeats favored by Danny Tenaglia and James Zabiela.

On the very few days that they aren?t locked in the same studio both Matts have found time to release their own solo productions and remixes. Ubu (Matthew Roberts with brother Leon) got completely twisted with the drug?n?bass sound of ?Pixels? and ?Ride The Snake?. Matt Thomas re-emerged as Watkins with emotional vocal-house classic ?Black a.m.?, and remixes for Frou Frou and Telepopmuzik. Not content with one pseudonym Matt T also unleashed several tracks in his Mainframe alter ego, including remixes of Pete Heller?s ?Sputnik? and Tomy or Zux?s ?The Music Makes Me Happy? which scored yet another Essential New Tune.

At a King Unique show you may well know some of the records, but you?ll never have heard them sound like this before; by packing their whole studio into a pair of laptops, King Unique are able to re-edit, remix and re-fix any track on the fly, serving up the killer dirty sound of their studio work all night long - live. This four-armed, twin-headed, single-minded mash up of vinyl, CDs, custom made re-edits and live samples has made it?s mark at all the best UK clubs; Cream, Tribal Sessions, Ministry Of Sound, Renaissance, The End, Turnmills, Lush and Progression. Worldwide demand for the King Unique sound has seen them playing in Tokyo, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Athens, Bucharest, Singapore and the huge Skol Beats (Brazil) and Exit (Serbia) festivals, as well as filling guest radio slots for The Essential Mix, Kiss 100 and Annie Nightingale.

So what are King Unique cooking up for 2005?

King Unique = Dirty House

That?s all you need to know.
    "Perceptions" on Proton Radio hosted by Dres and David Josephs every second Monday of the month: www.protonradio.com

David Josephs mixes: http://www.spectivedance.com/andres/...vid%20Josephs/
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

Re: King Unique on Perceptions 5-9-05

nice, will tune in right now

Comment

• rubyraks
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

tuned in

looking forward to another great show and especially love KU!
      "Work like you don't need the money.
      Love like you've never been hurt.
      Dance like nobody's watching.
      Sing like nobody's listening.
      Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• 0greeny0
        Getting warmed up
        • Jun 2004

any further details on this one?

Comment

• rubyraks
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

KU's mix was way too short and way too commercial. I'd heard most of their tracks quite a deal. I was way more impressed with Dres' The Allston Sessions Vol. 3 mix right before KU. Great tracks (especially using the acapella of EBTG's Missing...I'm a sucker for that tune and the mix had me in its grasp with that one ) and a really nice flow throughout. Good job Dres.
          "Work like you don't need the money.
          Love like you've never been hurt.
          Dance like nobody's watching.
          Sing like nobody's listening.
          Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• jeffrey collins
            Not cool enough
            • Jun 2004

looking forward to checking this out. I've been dowloading that KU mix that is floating around on here but didn't get part 1 i think.
            Jeffrey Collins: Painter
            My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
            My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...