Basically house and techno then! (And I haven't heard much house in Digweed's sets in a long time) It's like potential and reality, potentially you're listening to lots of different genres, in reality you're listening to hundreds of varieties of the same old shit.
John Digweed live in?
Collapse
X
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
Basically house and techno then! (And I haven't heard much house in Digweed's sets in a long time) It's like potential and reality, potentially you're listening to lots of different genres, in reality you're listening to hundreds of varieties of the same old shit. -
Re: John Digweed live in?
Plus the odd peruvian pipe band minimal collaboration w. hungarian gypsy strings and percussion from an Andes cordillera quartet playing instruments they've hand crafted themselves.
Villalobos 32 min rmx out soon on Perlon
sigpicSimonR
This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
There IS variety in a Digweed set depending on the night and crowd he's playing to, he doesn't throw random shit at the floor. And his sets on a whole vary across different nights/tours, even the programming.
For the sake of discussion the variety can be narrower compared to the likes of Laurent Garnier but isn't that the purview of progressive house? The tracks have to blend together. Perhaps if all you hear is 'basically house and techno' the DJ is doing a better job than you give him credit for.
I rate Cattaneo somewhere between Howells and Digweed, sometimes easy listening fluff, sometimes, subjectively, 'proper' danceable music. Like go0gle and Jenks said, Cattaneo on the whole feels safer and more PG to me, he's never pushed it to the point where I might go 'holy fuck what was that', certainly not as many times and the way Digweed has.
On the flip side some Digweed sets just can't be enjoyed sitting in a car or at the desk.
They're all different DJs, like Nick Warren, can't really compare them. If they all deliver consistently then it's the set and setting that changes the perception of and how the music is received.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
Or he is playing the genre he is associated with. What about Paul Woolford? That guy is four genres in one day.For the sake of discussion the variety can be narrower compared to the likes of Laurent Garnier but isn't that the purview of progressive house? The tracks have to blend together. Perhaps if all you hear is 'basically house and techno' the DJ is doing a better job than you give him credit for.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
So point me in the direction of said set?Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
No, I'm not here to convince you otherwise, that was my POV and it's subjective
If you're curious enough you can seek out the readily available sets yourself, otherwise it's me/us trying to convince you of something you've already made up your mind about; and taste being so subjective this will a zero-sum game.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
So point me in the direction of one of these genre jumping sets. It should be easy enough, I haven't the time to wade through 15 years of Transitions sets. I listen to a lot of music, but I can't say I have heard anything to put DIgweed in this genre jumping bracket that people are proclaiming.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
You should read my previous reply.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
Please do : point us to a few sets to understand your perspective.sigpicSimonR
This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
Zover, you're coming across as someone who has made up his mind about Digweed and is asking me/us to convince you otherwise.
You fail to understand that it's not my responsibility to do so. We exchanged opinions on a matter that is entirely subjective. Music is not 'data'. What might be eclectic to me might not be to you, our idea of house and techno might vary, and what I consider to be a good eclectic set might be a bad eclectic set to you.
And even if we agree on a good eclectic set from Digweed, it could be a one-off—it won't be enough to change your mind wholly about Digweed. Digweed is not the kinda eclectic DJ I compare with Tenaglia or Garnier.
I don't follow DJs like Howells or Holden or Troxler et al closely but I'll check out their sets if the mood suits me to hear what they're playing these days.
If you want to keep an open mind about it then feel free to dip in and out of the Transition sets, they're out every week. There's no need to go through the entire back catalog.
There's enough music out there you don't have to be convinced to like something you don't.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: John Digweed live in?
oh now I have to keep an open mind, but you still won't tell me one of nine hundred and sixty six.Zover, you're coming across as someone who has made up his mind about Digweed and is asking me/us to convince you otherwise.
You fail to understand that it's not my responsibility to do so. We exchanged opinions on a matter that is entirely subjective. Music is not 'data'. What might be eclectic to me might not be to you, our idea of house and techno might vary, and what I consider to be a good eclectic set might be a bad eclectic set to you.
And even if we agree on a good eclectic set from Digweed, it could be a one-off—it won't be enough to change your mind wholly about Digweed. Digweed is not the kinda eclectic DJ I compare with Tenaglia or Garnier.
I don't follow DJs like Howells or Holden or Troxler et al closely but I'll check out their sets if the mood suits me to hear what they're playing these days.
If you want to keep an open mind about it then feel free to dip in and out of the Transition sets, they're out every week. There's no need to go through the entire back catalog.
There's enough music out there you don't have to be convinced to like something you don't.Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,212
Posts: 1,238,528
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment