• Dec 2005

Matcha vs. yerba mate

Anyone here have any opinions on the two? My guess is "no."

It was fun while it lasted...
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Matcha vs. yerba mate

I have drunk both but don't they serve different purpose? Kinda?

I have a tea from Tazo called Focus with yerba mate in it, and it does just that.

Matcha is essentially 'concentrated' green tea isn't it? I don't drink it for any specific purpose.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Garrick
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

from simply a tea drinking perspective:

i prefer the taste of yerba mate. I also like it because it doesn't have caffeine, but it has an "alternate" caffeine that doesn't give you the crash that caffeine gives you.

I've found matcha is a pain in the ass to mix and a lot of times my tea comes out chalky. even though it has a boatload of nutrients and antioxidants, I don't drink it as much as yerba mate... yerba is much simpler to make and tastes better, imo.

obviously, matcha has a lot more usability besides just drinking it. I haven't really tinkered around with anything other than drinking it though.
      Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• floridaorange
        I'm merely a humble butler
        • Dec 2005

Interesting. I am almost done with a bag of Yerba Mate - I love it with a splash of whole milk. I didn't know it had that different kind of caffeine in it? I do really enjoy it, but I read, as you've stated W, that matcha is full of (more) healthy stuff > Yerba mate. I bought a bunch of matcha and will try it when it arrives. My overall favorite morning drink is kombucha with chia seeds, but I'm not spending $4/day on it.

oh and what makes it difficult to make? (Matcha)

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Garrick
          I also like it because it doesn't have caffeine, but it has an "alternate" caffeine that doesn't give you the crash that caffeine gives you.
          When I drink it in my tea it gets me into this crazy focus zone.

Originally posted by floridaorange

oh and what makes it difficult to make? (Matcha)
          Matcha is difficult to dissolve. The Japanese use a bamboo whisk to mix it up properly:

I don't worry about dissolving it completely when I drink it as I can't be fucked buying a bamboo whisk or any kind of whisk to mix it up. From what I remember once you mix it up in hot water the stuff dissolves eventually.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Krystyan
            Platinum Poster
            • Oct 2004

yerba mate has mateina (like cafeine/cafeina) - not the same effect as with coffee, but if you drink it in the morning it really helps you get going.

about preparing a Mate (it's just made with hot water and yerba mate), here's a video in English:

I've also seen where you can prepare Tea with Yerba Mate, but it has to be filtered, like with a coffee filter. You also have Mate Cocido (with is in the end like a tea bag made of yerba mate).

I usually drink a whole thermus of Mate in the mornings. Drinking Mate in Argentina and Uruguay is like the most common typical thing we do.

Never heard about Matcha. What is it?
            https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

^thanks man, I didn't know where it came from, or what the history was or how to properly prepare it for that matter, so cheers for posting that.

I heat up water in a glass, and add the Mate in one of these for about 5 - 7 mins.

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

.... oh and Matcha, grown up green tea powder I think...

Comment

• unkle
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • Mar 2007

Yerba mate of course,
                  we drink it a lot around here.
                  Extra sweet for me, please .....

Comment

• floridaorange
                    • Dec 2005

I want a bamboo whisk now. Seems quicker thank waiting for Mate to brew.

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Matcha is green tea leaves ground up.

Matcha is made from shade-grown tea leaves also used to make gyokuro. The preparation of matcha starts several weeks before harvest and can last up to 20 days, when the tea bushes are covered to prevent direct sunlight.[5] This slows down growth, stimulates an increase in chlorophyll levels, turns the leaves a darker shade of green, and causes the production of amino acids, in particular L-Theanine. Only the finest tea buds are hand-picked. After harvesting, if the leaves are rolled out before drying as usual, the result will be gyokuro (jade dew) tea. However, if the leaves are laid out flat to dry, they will crumble somewhat and become known as tencha (碾茶). Tencha can then be de-veined, de-stemmed, and stone-ground to the fine, bright green, talc-like powder known as matcha.[6]

It can take up to one hour to grind 30 grams of matcha.[citation needed]

Note that only ground tencha qualifies as matcha, and other powdered green teas, such as powdered sencha, are known as konacha (粉茶, lit. "powder tea").

The flavour of matcha is dominated by its amino acids.[citation needed] The highest grades of matcha have more intense sweetness and deeper flavour than the standard or coarser grades of tea harvested later in the year.[citation needed]
                      Matcha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

• Rawrmune
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2011

Do you really not get an energy crash after drinking yerba mate? I bought a box before but wasn't crazy about it, I'll have to try it again though.

Comment

• diegoff
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

yerba mate all the way!
                          it has caffeine, man. Not as much as in the coffee, but it has it
                          Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                          Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                          May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• unkle
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Rawrmune
                            Do you really not get an energy crash after drinking yerba mate?

What ?? No man, is like a tea or any infusion.

Comment

• Garrick
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

this is the article I read that talked about mateine when I first researched yerba mate. it does a pretty good job of describing it. I didn't mean to elude that there's zero caffeine. it's just a different kind of caffeine per se.

But the big draw for most yerba mate enthusiasts is the promise of a “clean” caffeine-like buzz, free of jitters and unpleasantness, which yerba mate is said to provide. Drinkers report being in control of their wakefulness; they can stay up for hours, alert and on their game, but sleep is always right around the corner – if they want it. Basically, yerba mate is supposed to give you energy without the negative side effects. A common claim is that yerba mate is actually completely free of caffeine and that its stimulating effects come from a mysterious compound called mateine. Mateine, they say, is a stereoisomer of caffeine, thus giving it the stimulating qualities with none of the downfalls.

Mateine is actually caffeine. It’s just a synonym, possibly derived from the word “mate” itself. In fact, the caffeine content of dry mate leaves is similar to that of dried coffee beans and tea leaves (though brewed yerba mate tends to have lower levels). How do we then explain away all the anecdotal evidence of jitter-free wakefulness?
                              Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

Working...