X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJDub
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Bush

For those who have seen Episode III, do I even need to get into how much Bush and the government are resembling Darth Vader and the fall of the republic/rise of the empire?

Best similarity (obviously a poke at Bush):

"If you are not with me, you are my enemy." - Darth Vader

"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -Dubya

Welcome to the American Empire.
    http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re: Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Bush

Some folks on the right are actually critical of the movie as a Bush-bashing affair because of that line.

If you ask me, it just sounds to me like they've got a guilty conscience. F9/11, now that was a Bush-bashing affair. One line in a movie totally unrelated to politics, however, doesn't do it for me.

Comment

• MJDub
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Another parallel is the appointment of Palpatine as supreme leader during crisis and the passing of Patriot Act without any debate at all.

Something to consider since both took away liberties.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• BSully828
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

So does that mean that the members of Al Qaeda are like the Jedi?
        Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
        a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• devon
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MJDub
          For those who have seen Episode III, do I even need to get into how much Bush and the government are resembling Darth Vader and the fall of the republic/rise of the empire?

Best similarity (obviously a poke at Bush):

"If you are not with me, you are my enemy." - Darth Vader

"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -Dubya

Welcome to the American Empire.
          also when amadala says something like:

"so this is how democracy dies, by a thunderous applause"

MJDub i thought you were for bush if i remember correctly, i could be mistaken though.
          i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• MJDub
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by devon
            MJDub i thought you were for bush if i remember correctly, i could be mistaken though.
            I was back in 2001-2002, three LONG years ago.

Comment

• DAM?
              Getting Somewhere
              • May 2005

Originally posted by BSully828
              just ask george lucas...
              http://www.myspace.com/dam32

Comment

• rewing3
                I really don't care
                • Jun 2004

I think this whole thing is blown out of portion. THis is america and we do have the freedom of speech. Who cares if George Lucas makes fun of the president. It is a movie if you don't like it. Don't go see it.
                Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• Yao
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BSully828
                  :crackUp:

And the Europeans be the Ewoks?
                  Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

Working...