X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JetaTek
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11: That Was It?

Geez, by the way you guys were gushing over it, I thought it was going to pack a bit more of a punch. The "truths uncovered" were hardly earth shattering (you mean the president has connections to Saudi Oil Money?! Horrors!), Moore's verbal commentary was sophomoric at best, and his use of the footage of the mother crying over her dead son seemed almost trite given the context (i.e. OMG NO BLOOD FOR OIL! *yawn*). Of course the mother's going to be upset. Her son?s dead. And I love how she claims she's now achieved mental clarity when she's crying in front of the White House. She didn't "know" before, but now that she's in an obvious heightened emotional state (read: really thinking analytically), she somehow "sees" the truth.

The badgering of the congressmen to get their children to enlist didn't exactly resound with me, either. Kudos goes to them for barely even acknowledging Moore's presence on the street.

However, the entire viewing process was not without enjoyment. The Bonanza-esque intro to the war in Afghanistan was quality entertainment. And I do give Moore credit for obviously spending some time gathering facts and following up on leads.

But I hardly see Moore as a true patriot or an American hero (which too many reviews seem to be making him out as). At best he's a guy who stands to make decent bank off a controversial film (which will undoubtedly persuade many people "on the fence"), and permanently capture on celluloid his hatred for Bush & Cheney. I'm just glad I didn't pluck down $5 to actually see it in the theater. Even the Dragnet footage was only worth $2.
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Fahrenheit 9/11: That Was It?

Originally posted by JetaTek
    But I hardly see Moore as a true patriot or an American hero (which too many reviews seem to be making him out as). At best he's a guy who stands to make decent bank off a controversial film (which will undoubtedly persuade many people "on the fence"), and permanently capture on celluloid his hatred for Bush & Cheney. I'm just glad I didn't pluck down $5 to actually see it in the theater. Even the Dragnet footage was only worth $2.

Hardly a partiot is right, he's fucking canadian.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

This is what I've been trying to tell everyone JetaTek.

Sure, 9/11 has a lot of truth along with the lies Moore is notorious for. But the truths are incredibly stupid. And people are talking about how they are earth shattering. :ROFLMAO:

And $5. It cots $8.95 over here, and like $6.95 if your a student. I wouldn't pay $0.50 to watch this film which was why I didn't even burn it
      "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
      "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
      - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• gokada
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

The badgering of the congressmen to get their children to enlist didn't exactly resound with me, either. Kudos goes to them for barely even acknowledging Moore's presence on the street.
        I haven't seen it yet but I intend to. One of the congressmen that was asked to enlist his kid was on Fox news and explained to everyone that when Moore approached him, he told Moore that his son is already serving in Afghanistan. Funny how Moore never but that part in the film... :?
        Glenn Okada (www.glennokada.com)
        "...without struggle, there is no progress."

Comment

• evangelion
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by gokada
          I haven't seen it yet but I intend to. One of the congressmen that was asked to enlist his kid was on Fox news and explained to everyone that when Moore approached him, he told Moore that his son is already serving in Afghanistan. Funny how Moore never but that part in the film... :?
          Of course not...that wouldn't serve to further his agenda any. And I'm sure that must have happened more than once. But like always, he does nothing but slant things his way.

Comment

• Kobe
            I wish I had an interesting User title
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks

Did I read that correctly? Are you claiming MM is Canadian?
            Beats are my crack.

Comment

• cosmo
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

****BLOCKBUSTER BLOCKBUSTER BLOCKBUSTER BLOCKBUSTER****

1) 222nd place in all films on opening weekend.

2) One step ahead of Laura Croft Tomb Raider - Craddle of Life.

3) Trails Legally Blonde II - Red White & Blonde which holds the 221st spot.

Comment

• Kobe
                • Jun 2004

and what position did the next highest grossing documentary place?
                Beats are my crack.

Comment

• cosmo
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kobe
                  It's not a documentary, so stop calling it that. I think calling it a propumentary would be more appropriate.

Comment

• evangelion
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by cosmo
                    It's not a documentary, so stop calling it that. I think calling it a propumentary would be more appropriate.
                    Agreed.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks

Did I read that correctly? Are you claiming MM is Canadian?
                      I don't know if he is or not but he probably is. If not then he should be. He should live in Canada since he hates the US so much and thinks it should be like Canada. If I liked Canada more then the US, I would just simply move there. Maybe the cold weather makes his pussy hurt.
                      "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                      "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                      - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Kobe
                        • Jun 2004

He was born in Michigan, which as far as I know still qualifies as the USA.

As for the love-it-or-leave it argument, I never understood it. Self-examination and the right to question our government is probably the single most unique right we have as Americans. It is this very right that separates us from dictatorships. What kind of democracy are we offering the Iraqis if we don't even understand it in this country?
                        Beats are my crack.

Comment

• mylexicon
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

He was born in Michigan, which as far as I know still qualifies as the USA.

As for the love-it-or-leave it argument, I never understood it. Self-examination and the right to question our government is probably the single most unique right we have as Americans. It is this very right that separates us from dictatorships. What kind of democracy are we offering the Iraqis if we don't even understand it in this country?
                          Does Michael Moore ask questions, or does he force feed answers to clueless
                          Americans It's rhetorical, don't post an answer because it's supposed to
                          be intrinsic common sense.

If someone is going to criticize the government it should be done like this.
                          On this day, at this time, in this battle, we more a poor tactical decision and
                          civilian/US military lives were lost......the accident occured because of this poor
                          decision making and because of these operating procedures. We need to
                          change operating procedure to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Moore's version of the above: Here is a crying mother and a bunch of dead
                          people that i claim were killed by the coalition; therefore, Bush = Hitler
                          and Americans/Republicans = dumb, and terrorists are cool, unconventional,
                          self-empowered freedom fighters who promote social awareness......just like Bob
                          Marley. The End; Vote Kerry.
                          Be a vegan......eat freedom fries..

Comment

Working...