X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: U.S. intervention in Latin-America

Haha, that sounds veeeeerrryyy familiar! In most countries people are indeed thrilled if you've taken the trouble to learn their language...I've had some great and funny scenes in Africa beacause of that (I speak a little Ewe (Ghanaian language), tho in my country I'm prolly on of the few who speak it).

But in Paris, despite he beauty of the city, people can indeed even make fun of you for not mastering it perfect. Seems somehow to be some remainder of the colonial past, when France was considered the epicentre of civilization...I think that attitude still lingers in the French capital. At least I know my French well enough to give 'em hell when they start making fun of me.

L?che mon cul, salope...;-)
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• lmmadic
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

in general tho, the french really appreciate you doing an effort, i've been to france many times, and find them to be very friendly.
      My parents returned a few weeks ago from there trip to montellimar, and were amased that every single person they passed said a friendly hello.
      I love that, i used to do that as a kid too, untill i got a bit too old for that i guess, and people started looking at me funny
      sigpic

Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army. Edward Everett

Comment

• polar
        Fresh Peossy
        • Jun 2005

to quote chomsky...
        'in order to defeat terrorism, we need to stop participating in it.'

and most of our 'terrorism' has been waged in latin america....

over 3,000 people were killed in 1 bombing run in panama city during operation just cause to extract noriega....who is now serving time for crimes mostly committed while he was cashing CIA checks.
        el salvador.....still recovering from the john negroponte-led death squads in the 80's....second poorest country in the hemisphere....to haiti.
        columbia....fighting the 'war on drugs' is really an excuse to funnel $$ and arms to fight leftist groups.
        chile....pinochet....'nuff said.
        the economic damage we have doen to argentina....
        the list goes on and on...

Comment

• ernani
          Fresh Peossy
          • Jun 2005

Just signing in and looking for significative forums. This one seems to be so.

Regarding the intervention. Either in Latin America or elsewhere, I believe that by the need to fight an enemy, either idea or agrupation, the US is looking to fulfuill it?s Manifest Destiny, and old concept born with their independence. Therefore, what ever they do and whoever the confront, its just to fullfill their interests, the rest is just politics and bureucratic BS.

I dont aggree with it, but I have to admit certain level of admiration for such commitment and determination.

On the other hand, its impossible to blame it only to the US. Aren?t the independent countries everywhere else supposed to protect and fulfill their own interests? Like it happened when Cordoba was lost to the Spanish by the Arabs and the ruling Emirate was mourning such defeat to his mother and she replied: "Don?t cry as a woman what you couldn?t defend as a man"

Comment

Working...