• Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Grooveshark shuts down

Grooveshark

Wow they got royally fucked.

As part of a settlement agreement with the major record companies, we have agreed to cease operations immediately, wipe clean all of the record companies’ copyrighted works and hand over ownership of the website, our mobile apps and intellectual property, including our patents and copyrights.
    or cough up $736 million.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: Grooveshark shuts down

Nice to see the major record companies winning NOT !!! And all those streaming services they name are screwing artists .
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• yerg
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2006

I only hope that we can still stream stuff off the the Youtube, where people have been uploading rare gems throughout all the years
      if they take that down that;s going to be really sad

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Google /youtube is the worst of them all at ripping off artists.
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• yerg
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2006

^ I thought they were protecting artist copyrights, no?

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

You are kidding Definitely NO!! If you seriously want to know more about it go to The Trichordist | Artists For An Ethical and Sustainable Internet #StopArtistExploitation and for an incredibly sad story about what they are doing. What should I do about Youtube? | Zoë Keating This lady has supported youtube in the past and totally worked within the system. She was smart enough to manage her music and herself and still make a comfortable but not great living. What Google /Youtube have done to her is appalling. There are instances where third parties can make money off her work and she doesn't. It is a complicated system.

The takedown notices are done on behalf of the big record companies. Individual artists are screwed.

During the time that this was happening Zoe's husband was dying of cancer . He is dead now.

Just went to her twitter and she has been caught by one of facebooks wonderful features .

Yeah Facebook, I amreally enjoying reliving the past with your “On This Day” “feature”. Not. FU. How do I turn this off?

Comment

• yerg
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2006

hm, ok, but you can't find stuff that's on youtube anywhere else, that was basically my point, and I still don't understand how they're rippping off artists, they simply put an ad on their songs and that makes artists frustrated?

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

You obviously didn't read the links. Which makes me unbelievably sad. Unfortunately people just don't want to know if it is inconvenient.

I really hope others take the time to read.

Where do you think the stuff on youtube comes from , fresh air ?? It is original artist work. Follow the artist directly.

Interestingly I just got an Email from Moshic offering a "pay what I want" price to buy his newest Album direct from him.

Comment

• Rave Lizard
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by yerg
                  I only hope that we can still stream stuff off the the Youtube, where people have been uploading rare gems throughout all the years
                  if they take that down that;s going to be really sad
                  I find it strange how people can upload complete albums and mix CD's to YouTube, Soundcloud and Mixcloud and they don't get taken down.

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

^^^ Google/youtube made up their own licence True actually.

Comment

• Illuminate
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Aug 2009

What you put up on youtube/google, is now owned by them.
                      I think a lot of content will slowly be taken down, in given time.
                      The argument is to provide content that is more affordable for the masses, to minimise this whole piracy debacle, but heck I remember paying top quid for albums that would only last a certain number of spins before it scratches itself out. Kids these days...

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                      Sbando
                      - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                      Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                      Bob
                      "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                      the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                      KiwiTollway

Comment

• DIDI
                        Aussie Pest
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Illuminate
                        What you put up on youtube/google, is now owned by them.
                        I think a lot of content will slowly be taken down, in given time.
                        The argument is to provide content that is more affordable for the masses, to minimise this whole piracy debacle, but heck I remember paying top quid for albums that would only last a certain number of spins before it scratches itself out. Kids these days...
                        It is not owned by them. They do have control. They are asking artists for ALL their work so they will be putting up even more. They make their money off the adds they place on the music. I have never seen that argument put. I can't see how it can possibly stop piracy. It has been pretty conclusively proven that streaming doesn't stop piracy.

Comment

• Illuminate
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Aug 2009

I can't say this is an open ended policy:

6. Your Content and Conduct

1. As a YouTube account holder you may submit Content to the Service, including videos and user comments. You understand that YouTube does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any Content you submit.
                          2. You shall be solely responsible for your own Content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your Content on the Service. You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit; and you license to YouTube all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for publication on the Service pursuant to these Terms of Service.
                          3. For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, publish, adapt, make available online or electronically transmit, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display, publish, make available online or electronically transmit, and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable.

It's more of an Australian argument about the content, The lunacy of trying to stop piracy at any cost - The Drum (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                          Sbando
                          - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                          Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                          Bob
                          "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                          the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                          KiwiTollway

Comment

• yerg
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DIDI
                            You obviously didn't read the links. Which makes me unbelievably sad. Unfortunately people just don't want to know if it is inconvenient.

I really hope others take the time to read.

Where do you think the stuff on youtube comes from , fresh air ?? It is original artist work. Follow the artist directly.

Interestingly I just got an Email from Moshic offering a "pay what I want" price to buy his newest Album direct from him.
                            Didi, I have read the blog and the article you've posted, I am genuinely interested

there is nothing inconvinient about this, i think it's an important question, just like you

I understand very well that music comes for the artists' hard work, but they make the choice to upload their stuff to youtube, google doesn't make them or force them, and youtube is not a completely free and open public service, so if I was a musician and decided to post my music on youtube I would expect something like that to happen in the case of contracts, which they give you the choice to either sign or not

there are many other great places to distrbute music, but artists use youtube because it attracts the most number of people, honestly I wouldn't mind if youtube asked me to put ads on my music in exchange for the massive exposure

Comment

• DIDI
                              Aussie Pest
                              • Nov 2004

[^^^If you don't agree to very harsh , as Zoe said , conditions they remove your work.

If you have read it you have misunderstood. The ads part is not the main issue. Although it removes her control. If she signs that 5 year contact she has to put ALL her music on Youtube first !! [/LIST]

It's more of an Australian argument about the content, The lunacy of trying to stop piracy at any cost - The Drum (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I said you own , they control. and it sucks !!

The drum thing is a bit out of date now. I totally disagree with chasing consumers which is what we now have.

Comment

Working...