X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diegoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Trip to Italy

Hi MS! I´m going for three weeks with my girlfriend to Italy, in September. Once there, we´ll rent a car and move everywhere. We´ll arrive to Venice and stay for 2 nights, and the last 5 days we´ll be in Rome. That´s all the schedule we have so far.
    We haven´t planned yet the tour, but we´d sure like to go to the Tuscany area, Florence, and the Amalfi coast.
    Any advice in places to visit? bars? record stores? It would be nice for me, I´ve never been to Italy. thanks!!!

(I´m thinking in going to Pagani´s car museum instead of Ferrari´s)
    It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: Trip to Italy

Are you going to the Vatican? I recommend going to St Peters in the morning and Sistine Chapel/Vatican Museum in the afternoon. The lines were gone at Noon for Sistine Chapel. Either way, but your tix in advance for Sistine Chapel. Both are out if this world amazing. I'll find the name of this restaurant we really liked.

also I recommend the Trip Advisor App.

And we used Rick Steve's App as our tour guide, which world out great.

Also, you may want to bring boots or something for Rome, the streets are all cobblestone and super old. Lol

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Zover
      Banned
      • Mar 2014

The old Zover has a trip to Saville, Valencia, Marseille and Paris before flying out to Ibiza. It's going to be a busy 4 weeks

Comment

• diegoff
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

great!
        sure we´ll go to the Vatican. I´ll check the trip advisor app
        It´s a spiritual thing!

Comment

• Haziel
          Likes a finger upthere
          • Jan 2007

Venice is gorgeous , you couldn't have chosen a better place to go with your gf. The food and the whole vibe of the city is amazing. I was there 3 days and it was awesome.

I was in Rome for 5 days and I did the whole touristy thing, the Roman coliseum, The forum, the Vatican and Castle Saint Angelo, etc you know just to get it off my chest. It has probably been the most overrated city that i've ever been too, I regret not going to the tuscany area. The food in Rome was below average and the city is pretty dusty( if you have allergies take some benadryl with you). Also Make sure you run when crossing the streets because there isn't any stop lights hahaha.

Check out all the episodes Anthony bourdain ( no reservations, the layover , parts unknown , etc) did on Italy I'm sure there is about 7 episodes all together.

The idea of driving around sounds awesome but if you are on a budget I recommend taking the train since the road fees are pretty expensive in italy.

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Hmmm, I thought it was pretty cool. Especially the Colosseum and St Peters. I admit I enjoyed Paris more. Who did you go with? Did they complain a lot or you just simply didn't dig it? Our hotel was really nice, super location too. Perhaps that played a role. It also was very walkable compared to most cities. I did find the food to be just so-so, except for this 1 restaurant, which was amazing. I do want to go to all the other hot spots in Italy though, have heard great things about Tuscany.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• diegoff
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

nice info about train and road fees
              It´s a spiritual thing!

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                Platinum Poster
                • Jan 2014

That's really exciting diegoff!! Jealous & have not been so have nothing to offer, but trip advisor is so great for any traveling.
                Let us know about your trip when you get back.

hope your accommodations are comfy while you're there.

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

When I went it was Rome, loved wandering and was the best accommodation I got during the trip.

Venice I found incredibly disappointing. Always wanted to go to Venice and wouldn't go back if you paid me. A B@B owner who obviously was getting kickbacks. Bad food, shouldn't have followed that B@B owners recommendation. I couldn't believe there was that much fake Morano glass in the world. And all this really expensive . Plus I always felt the natives were trying to work out how much money they could screw out of me. I really wish I had the Venice experience I had imagined.

Tuscany I loved .!!! Wonderful fresh clean food , incredibly helpful people . Sienna was just amazing . Had the best hair cut I have had in years. Lots of lovely little shops with interesting things.

Haven't done the Amalfi coast , but people whose opinion I value speak very, very highly of it.

Have a wonderful time !!
                  Originally posted by TheVrk
                  it IS incredible isn't it??
                  STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                  Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                  The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Haziel
                    Likes a finger upthere
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by floridaorange
                    Hmmm, I thought it was pretty cool. Especially the Colosseum and St Peters. I admit I enjoyed Paris more. Who did you go with? Did they complain a lot or you just simply didn't dig it? Our hotel was really nice, super location too. Perhaps that played a role. It also was very walkable compared to most cities. I did find the food to be just so-so, except for this 1 restaurant, which was amazing. I do want to go to all the other hot spots in Italy though, have heard great things about Tuscany.
                    When I went to rome I was by myself as opposed to Venice and Udine in which I had an italian friend that was showing me around at all times. Still in Rome I followed the recommendations that my friend gave me and I was not too thrilled about that city. The sixteen chapel was probably my highlight in Rome. I remember i stayed looking at the ceiling for almost an hour.

On my Next trip to italy I would love to check out Sardinia and Florence.

Comment

• Micko
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Oct 2004

Italy is without doubt my favourite holiday destination....

Have been to Rome and loved the culture/food and of course the vino. Rome is special - so much to see. We used a tour bus and hopped on and off over the course of the day and seen pretty much everything we wanted.

Lake Garda was stunning - from there we went to Venice (couldn't believe all the bird shit ) and Verona. In Verona we went to the opera (see below) for a truly wonderful experience.

I got married in Lake Orta (which is mostly unknown to people outside Italy) - stunning also

I'm planning to go to Sicily and Amalfi Coast at some stage

It's a truly wonderful country - if you are heading up north, check out Lake Orta - it is small, very,very quaint and quite breathtaking.

Comment

• Micko
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Oct 2004

I see you are flying into Venice - the lakes are well worth a visit - in particular Orta

Comment

• Zover
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by DIDI
                          Venice I found incredibly disappointing. Always wanted to go to Venice and wouldn't go back if you paid me.
                          I thought St Mark's Square was nice, but when you get off the beaten track it was a right dump.

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

^^ Ahh, maybe that was my problem, I tend to wander off the beaten track.
                            Originally posted by TheVrk
                            it IS incredible isn't it??
                            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

I like Venice out of season. Best recommendation is to go on a trail of small bars for Cicchetti and drinks

Crawling Through Venice’s Cicchetti Pubs by Rick Steves | ricksteves.com

36 Hours in... Venice - Telegraph

Amalfi coast is a must, love Positano.
                              Firenze is stunning and my favourite place
                              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

Working...