X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devil's Dandruff
    Banned
    • Nov 2015

Re: GU41 Naples

Some of them odd releases where better than the usual DJ's. Only one Fat lad came back, Andy.

The mix cd market is fucked. There will never be the same excitement over a mix cd release ever like there was in the 90's

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

yeap, I don't own anything that can play a cd anymore. I think the only mixes I've bought in the last 5 years have been the odd balance, the digweed live stuff, and a random fabric mix here and there.

Comment

• Devil's Dandruff
        Banned
        • Nov 2015

Sasha's Ibiza was the one that sticks out in my mind. The party was the beginning of June and Cd release was September. Months of waiting, all the promotion, not knowing most of the tracks. Then getting up on the release day and purchasing it, then listening to time and time again at home, in the car, at afterparties. By the end you would know the tracks and the transitions inside out. Most releases these days would be lucky to be played into double figures.

Comment

• progressive420
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

This is one that ive already played into the double figures. I think GU just has that staying power with their releases. Not all of course, but i go back to most of the GU and Nubreed series on a regular basis. Same is true for Digweed's live series and structures albums. There are others, but in the modern day, Balance is the only regular series other then Digweed coming out with something fairly often
          So if GU can put out quality mixes, even and especially "concept albums", then I welcome their return and look forward to the next one
          "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Devil's Dandruff
            Some of them odd releases where better than the usual DJ's. Only one Fat lad came back, Andy.

The mix cd market is fucked. There will never be the same excitement over a mix cd release ever like there was in the 90's
            Considering how the landscape of music marketing has changed, with the phasing out of physical media, the ubiquity of music sets being available for download, the rise of online music purchasing like iTunes and how piracy pretty much overran the labels, I think lamenting that it'll never be the same is kind of moot. Times have changed, but saying that it'll never be the same, well, that comes with the change.

Look, I miss going to the record store and spending time checking out the releases and enjoying picking up the newest release on the day it came out, but would I trade that for having what we have now? No way.
            Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• klangfabrik
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2009

its funny, no one cared for lavelle the longest time (some people enjoyed GU023, but that was all)... and now? it seems he brings GU back to life, at least from the response this album is getting on MS.

i still enjoy buying mix cds, the "classic" ones like balance as well as the "live" ones, like digweed does (or huntemann)

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Even his most ardent of defenders (including myself) have a hard time justifying his GU037 Bangkok mix - it's a fucking mess and all over the place.

Guy's fantastically talented - I particularly liked his soundtrack based efforts and some of his more eclectic stuff. Even his Mo Wax retrospect is pretty good (though likely not appreciated by a more prog house/trance crowd).
                Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• ddr
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

i think the whole breakbeat phase was quite horrible to be honest... and when Lavelle tried spinning it... i think i would rather taste my own throw up.

i agree with you Highsteppa, Lavelle as UNKLE/Mo'Wax is very exceptional, i still go back to my Mo'Wax cd's.. especially Ape vs. Mo'Wax. the only audio CD's i buy anymore are UNKLE and Digweed's Live In series. i have listened to Naples in the double figures as well, especially the first disc.
                  "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

hmmm, perhaps I should give it a listen then...
                    motherlover

Comment

• klangfabrik
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2009

wonder how they will keep their business running with compilations like this....

GLOBAL UNDERGROUND :SELECT | Global Underground

CD1
                      01 Jonas Rathsman – New Generation
                      02 Hot Since 82 & Habischman – Leave Me (Dubfire Playa Remix)
                      03 Fred Everything feat. Jinadu – Searching (Deetron Dub) / (Deetron Remix)
                      04 Miguel Lobo – Ratchet Girls
                      05 Kris Davis & Yost – Relentless (Martin Roth Remix)
                      06 Elderbrook x Andhim – How Many Times (KANT Remix)
                      07 Oliver Schories – She Goes
                      08 Roman Flügel – Teenage Engineering
                      09 Mike Griego feat. Amber Long – Sofia (Guy Mantzur Secret Mix)
                      10 Pattern Drama & Leonard Withers – Repente feat. Candida
                      11 Bicep & Hammer – Go (Flanger Mix)
                      12 Luciano feat. JAW – 7direction(s) (Dennis Ferrer Remix)
                      13 Dusky – Bitter Lake
                      14 Gary Martin – Well (Robert Hood Remix)
                      15 Aphrohead – Grown Man Cryy (Carl Craig’s ‘Brainy Grimlin’ Remix)
                      16 Lane 8 feat. Matthew Dear – Undercover (Yotto Remix)
                      CD2
                      01 Jeremy Olander – Taiga
                      02 Maceo Plex feat. C.A.R – Mirror Me (Extended Original)
                      03 Monte – Radical
                      04 D-Nox & Beckers – Secret Games
                      05 Pete Oak – Synesthesia
                      06 Cristoph – Foregone Conclusion (Kiko Remix)
                      07 Hunter/Game – Adaptation
                      08 Kaiserdisco – Jet Stream (H.O.S.H. Remix)
                      09 Mathias Kaden – Energie feat. Rocko Schamoni (Michael Mayer Remix)
                      10 Aboutface – The Hazy Path To Misunderstanding (Tin Man Remix)
                      11 Yousef – Are You Ready
                      12 Wehbba – View of Delft
                      13 Impellizzeri & Stupia – Idiophone (Hard Mix)
                      14 Framewerk – Feel You Hold You (Quivver Remix)
                      15 TNTS – Paid In Blood
                      16 Scuba – Too Strong (Nicole Moudaber Remix)
                      17 Krankbrother – Obscure Visions
                      18 Terranova – Skin & Bones feat. Lydmoor & Bon Homme (Karl Friedrich Mix)

Comment

Working...