• Jun 2004

Re: scumbag of the year

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• MJ
        Here since 2002
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
        That stinks. But I thought this thread was going to be about Mike.
        What did I do?
        mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MusicalJourney
          What did I do?
          The other Mike.
          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• threehills
            I heart Lollergirl
            • Jun 2005

I think the actual images are enough to make you wonder what these people were thinking. I don't need it recreated. If anyone takes offense at this pics, I apologize, but find them to be indredibly powerful and moving.

edit: these pictures are not neccessary. if we want to look at that we can google it ourselves.
            It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• neoee
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

I wasn't going to comment for fear of being burned at the stake, but I need to up my post count. :wink:

Personally I don't see the big deal here. Maybe I'm not as easily offended by these things.

He wasn't trying to recreate the feelings of the people jumping off the buildings, rather sharing the feelings he felt when watching the events of 9/11:
              "I thought it was my responsibility to respond" to 9/11, he said. "This happened to be my response to that - my sheer inability to do anything about [watching people fall], my lack of control over the situation."
              Secondly he wasn't trying to offend anyone (from what he says):
              "I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings," Skarbakka said. "I can't back down from what I've done. I can only try to explain it and be as responsible as I can about it."
              Originally posted by threehills
              If anyone takes offense at this pics, I apologize, but find them to be indredibly powerful and moving.
              I looked at the pictures and find them the same. I don't in any way see the relation to 9/11 but do feel the feelings the artist was trying to convey (inability to do anything).
              "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• superdave
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

He's a scumbag. I recall 9/11 and watching those people jump to their deaths in disgust and anger. There's no art to people dying tragically.
                Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• clintlove
                  Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                  • Jun 2004

As idiotic as I think this guy and his idea of "art" is, I've been involved in art my entire life, and have grown to understand that some artists are weird mother fuckers. From music, to painting, to photography, there's always an artist who will do something like this that others are unwilling to do because of the reaction they will get from it (rather it good or bad). If this "art" project had taken place anywhere else besides NYC, we probablly wouldn't have heard about it. From what the article said, he's been doing this since 9/11.
                  Now, with all that aside, someone should have cut his harness, maybe then the experience and feelings would have been real. Fucking douche.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• zeronineteen
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jun 2004

what a fucking dickhead
                    Before you can see the light, you have to deal with the darkness.

Comment

• tien
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Jul 2004

yea im wondering why this guy didnt get arrested for that. Maybe he'll get taken to court, and yea I thin kthe only reason he did that shit is to get some attention, and it is working. He can do whateve rhe wants, he can be known for that shit, As an artist myself, I would rather get attention some other way. I think its sort of pathetic what hes doing. Who cares tho, scumbag of the year? I tihnk there are worst ppl then him, he didnt kill anyone, rape anyone, i mean at least not that we know of. Just because he did that shit just makes him..a dickhead, not scumbag of the year. How about george bush, I tihnk hes getting the award 5 years running...lol hes worst than this guy. peace out

Comment

• robprunzit
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

I hope this 'artist' does get labeled the SCUMBAG of the year. He is either living in another world, or he is looking for anyway possible to make a buck. Sadly that is what alot of todays art is all about. Where has art gone in actually having to have some incredible talent. Today it seems it about insult without shame for the sake of money.
                        ----------------------------------------
                        Quote:
                        (A crew of photographers hired by Skarbakka captured him in midair, arms and legs flailing wildly. Some of the images will end up in gallery catalogues and museum walls - part of a series of pictures to be called "Life Goes On."

"I thought it was my responsibility to respond" to 9/11, he said. "This happened to be my response to that - my sheer inability to do anything about [watching people fall], my lack of control over the situation."

Skarbakka said he was horrified when he saw the attacks on TV. He started taking pictures of himself falling from trees, roofs and ladders - winning him art world praise.)
                        ---------------------------------------
                        My question is why do people give him praise? Doesnt that just put fuel on the fire for his sick ambition and others to follow? Whats this ''winning him art world praise.''? These questions of ARTISTIC PRAISE trouble me more than his sicko money making scheme, not to take away from his being utterly SICK.
                        AT THE FORK, TAKE THE RIGHT DIRECTION

www.myspace.com/robroyfamily

Comment

• evangelion
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

^^^ True, if no one paid him any attention, much less praised him, for this crap, we probably wouldn't even be talking him right now. Leave it to the "art community" to make this guy think what he is doing is not only right, but something to be admired.

Comment

Working...