• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

The Creative Apocalypse That Wasn't

The Creative Apocalypse That Wasn’t

And yet collectively, the figures seem to suggest that music, the creative field that has been most threatened by technological change, has become more profitable in the post-Napster era — not for the music industry, of course, but for musicians themselves. Somehow the turbulence of the last 15 years seems to have created an economy in which more people than ever are writing and performing songs for a living.
    Part of the answer is that the decline in recorded-music revenue has been accompanied by an increase in revenues from live music. In 1999, when Britney Spears ruled the airwaves, the music business took in around $10 billion in live-music revenue internationally; in 2014, live music generated almost $30 billion in revenue, according to data assembled from multiple sources by the live-music service Songkick. Starting in the early 1980s, average ticket prices for concerts closely followed the rise in overall consumer prices until the mid-1990s, when ticket prices suddenly took off: From 1997 to 2012, average ticket prices rose 150 percent, while consumer prices grew less than 100 percent. It’s elemental economics: As one good — recorded music — becomes ubiquitous, its price plummets, while another good that is by definition scarce (seeing a musician play a live performance) grows in value. Moreover, as file-sharing and iTunes and Spotify have driven down the price of music, they have also made it far easier to envelop your life with a kind of permanent soundtrack, all of which drives awareness of the musicians and encourages fans to check them out in concert. Recorded music, then, becomes a kind of marketing expense for the main event of live shows.
    The new economics of the post-Napster era are certainly skewed toward artists who like to perform in public. But we should remember one other factor here that is often forgotten. The same technological forces that have driven down the price of recorded music have had a similar effect on the cost of making an album in the first place. We easily forget how expensive it was to produce and distribute albums in the pre-Napster era. In a 2014 keynote speech at an Australian music conference, the indie producer and musician Steve Albini observed: ‘‘When I started playing in bands in the ’70s and ’80s, most bands went through their entire life cycle without so much as a note of their music ever being recorded.’’ Today, musicians can have software that emulates the sound of Abbey Road Studios on their laptops for a few thousand dollars. Distributing music around the world — a process that once required an immense global corporation or complex regional distribution deals — can now be performed by the artist herself while sitting in a Starbucks, simply through the act of uploading a file.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: The Creative Apocalypse That Wasn't

certainly interesting, i don't doubt it... i be musicians are also forced to work harder and perform better in general. which isn't a bad thing either. unless your a lazy musician, and we all know a couple of them .

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by feather
      What a crock !!

New York Times Standards: We Dont Care About the Facts | The Trichordist

New York Times Magazine: Wrong on the Arts, Wrong on Data Journalism | Flavorwire

New York Times Standards: We Dont Care About the Facts | The Trichordist
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

I was really pissed off ! Hence double post
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
          certainly interesting, i don't doubt it... i be musicians are also forced to work harder and perform better in general. which isn't a bad thing either. unless your a lazy musician, and we all know a couple of them .
          You have got to joking ?? Forced ??? It's you're not your, band I certainly don't know any lazy muso's . I do know quite a few struggling artists in all creative venture. Some here are having to take advantage of the housing situation and sell up.

Comment

• Zover
            Banned
            • Mar 2014

I thought this was going to be about Florid's greasy spoon.

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Thanks for pointing out the fallacy of the article but please, calm the fuck down.

I mentioned in one of the threads, what is a guy to do around here?

Post no threads and watch you people whinge about the death of the forum.

Start a thread to share something and you people come out of the woodworks to harangue each other for their grammar and opinions.

Is this how you behave in real life?? Is this how you converse??

Y'all cray cray.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
                I'm merely a humble butler
                • Dec 2005

^yes

Piracy is really fucking the film business. The reason all the new films are the same shit is nobody wants to take a risk on something new anymore:

Nicolas Chartier: 'Piracy will diminish culture' | News | Screen

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks for pointing out the fallacy of the article but please, calm the fuck down.

I mentioned in one of the threads, what is a guy to do around here?

Post no threads and watch you people whinge about the death of the forum.

Start a thread to share something and you people come out of the woodworks to harangue each other for their grammar and opinions.

Is this how you behave in real life?? Is this how you converse??

Y'all cray cray.
                  I think perhaps you need to take your advice. I feel passionate about this, and I have made that known for a very long time. . I reacted passionately to what you said , it wasn't certainly wasn't personal, it was very obviously aimed at the article. Your reaction is also passionate so you are part of this. Just join in, or not if you don't want to. I don't think there is anything wrong in showing passion in a music forum.

Btw I definitely converse like this in real life Consenting adults and all that.

I actually feel that the forum has been a little more free flowing lately which is a really good thing.

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
                    ^yes

Piracy is really fucking the film business. The reason all the new films are the same shit is nobody wants to take a risk on something new anymore:

Nicolas Chartier: 'Piracy will diminish culture' | News | Screen
                    Thanks for the link. Sorry for correcting your grammar

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Deleted in service of world peace. I regret perpetuating the infighting.

Last edited by feather; September 17, 2015, 01:53:30 PM.

Comment

• GarryX
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Apr 2006

I mean seriously, reacting to someone's opinion by first attacking his grammar is like someone coming up to you in a pub and giving you shit about an offensive button on your shirt before getting to the point.

brilliant feather

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

Deleted in service of world peace. I regret perpetuating the infighting.

Good one !! I will remember that pub tip

Comment

Working...