X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Porsche Mission E

Porsche Mission E announced, an electric sports sedan that charges faster than a Tesla | The Verge

Don't call it a 911: Porsche spent much of its presentation at this evening's Volkswagen Group press conference talking about the new 911, yes, but the real news is the Mission E — an all-electric four-seater with a design that's well beyond anything Porsche's ever made. The company is focusing on "long-distance driving" with this concept, but that's not to say it won't be exciting to drive: Porsche is promising 600 horsepower, a 0-62mph time "under" 3.5 seconds, a top speed of over 250 km/h (about 155mph), and a total range of over 500 kilometers (311 miles) while driving in a "sporty" manner. Those are Tesla Model S numbers, and it stands to reason that Porsche could command at least the same amount of money, too — well over $100,000 in top configurations. And the company says the Mission E can store an 80 percent charge in just 15 minutes using an 800-volt "Porsche Turbo Charging" system, even faster than Tesla's Superchargers.
    As a concept, the Mission E has the usual assortment of far-off-sounding features — OLED instrumentation and eye tracking, for instance — but one feature in particular caught my eye: an emotion-tracking camera camera in the rear-view mirror shows an emoticon in the instrument cluster. (In other words, if you're happy, the car knows, and it tells you it knows.) "The fun factor can be saved together with individual information such as the route or speed, and it can be shared with friends via a social media link," Porsche says.
    The Mission E is absolutely a concept — there's no talk of a production window yet — but the indication is that this is happening sooner or later. How could it not?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Porsche Mission E

I love Porsche, but i don't really love that. I'm sure the real thing will be cooler than a concept rendering once it's actually built.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

I'm not a fan of a lot of futuristic concept looks but I quite like this one. The 15 min charging is nuts if real.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

The technology is awesome indeed. If Porsche's target is the Tesla Model S, thats one thing, but if it's Tesla's business model in general, Tesla is about to release the Model 3 which is going to be in the 35k range and is going to dominate electric cars as everyone else scrambles to catch up, especially at that price point. Props to Porsche for pushing the technology forward though...that said, until it's built and for sale- it's still a concept...just like Audi and Mercedes who have full electric models coming to market...in three years!

It all really just magnifies how incredible Elon Musk is at putting ideas in motion.

Comment

• go0gle
          Platinum Poster
          • Jan 2007

Love it.. I hope it makes to production.

In terms of overall efficiency, cost, and environmental impact this whole EV thing is still rather fuzzy... at least with the current lithium battery tech everyone is using.

I recommend reading this and the comment section bellow it.. from what I got a diesel hybrid might be the most efficient system for now.

http://www.economist.com/node/21651928/comments#comments

http://www.economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21651928-lithium-ion-battery-steadily-improving-new-research-aims-turbocharge

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

I got so much shit on this board for having a prius because the battery isn't recyclable, but slap the prosche name on it and all those horses and everyone lurves it btw, the prius has been great, we love not spending money on gas, even though prices are hovering around $2.15 here right now for 87 octane... and yes I'd much rather have this porshe than a prius .

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

The Prius sounds like a great vehicle, they're quite popular in LA. Driving an electric/hybrid makes sense if I need a car. I didn't know people here were hating on the Prius.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

I'm a year away from getting my 911 GT3.... I don't plan on ever owning an electric car. I'm all for public transport though.

Comment

• floridaorange
                  • Dec 2005

whoa - a GT3 ! that's insane brotha

Comment

• go0gle
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by feather
                    The Prius sounds like a great vehicle, they're quite popular in LA. Driving an electric/hybrid makes sense if I need a car. I didn't know people here were hating on the Prius.
                    There are soo many in California its silly.. but they've proven to be good cars and are very efficient so I can see why they are so popular. Also, the hatchback thing has its benefits in terms of functionality.

Not sure how I feel about the looks of the new one tho

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

It's all about the specs, aerodynamics and because the windshield is designed like that, the driver and passengers don't feel like their in such a small car, because there is a lot of windshield space... at least that's how we feel from driving ours. It's quick enough in power mode, and we never have to put gas in it, so it's just a pleasure to drive. We did not buy it for it's looks . The new one is more of the same I suppose. And the hatchback is great for strollers and vacations - putting all our crap back there.

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

Working on a car account we were informed hatchbacks don't sell in the US or they're renamed something else. Like the Mercedes GLA is basically a taller hatchback masquerading as an SUV. I was shocked to see how tiny it was expecting a full size SUV. The Smart car doesn't sell and they have to brand it as an urban vehicle. Americans seem fixated with big cars. There're no such problems in the rest of the world. Smarts and Fiat 500s are popular in Europe, hatchbacks are popular in Asia.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
                          whoa - a GT3 ! that's insane brotha
                          Yes sir!! Been busting my ass for a long time! So, if all goes as planned GT3... The RSs have priced themselves out of my price range.

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
                            Platinum Poster
                            • May 2008

Re:

Originally posted by floridaorange
                            I got so much shit on this board for having a prius because the battery isn't recyclable, but slap the prosche name on it and all those horses and everyone lurves it btw, the prius has been great, we love not spending money on gas, even though prices are hovering around $2.15 here right now for 87 octane... and yes I'd much rather have this porshe than a prius .
                            I like my Versa. I get right at 40mpg & it only costs about $20 to fill up. It has a lot of room inside also even though it appears small on the outside.

Comment

Working...