X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 13kickdrums
    Getting Somewhere
    • May 2005

drivers license and ID scanners at clubs

just wondering how you all felt about having your DL or ID swiped by doormen at night clubs. ive encountered it twice in the past month and i dont like it at all. the first place respected my wishes to not scan it and visually verified it was valid and i was old enough. the second place pulled me out of line and told me i couldnt get in(crobar)(which i later did).

the thing is, there is alot more info embedded IN your ID than ON it. your social security number, your digital signature, your digital picture, etc. i put a link below to one site that has some info. it was on the first page of a google search.

its a civil liberties and privacy issue and these scanners should be illegal IMO. but what can you do if youre denied entry because you dont wish to give up your sensitive information to a club that just needs to know youre legal age to get in?

its easy to just let them do it but think about what theyre getting on you even though they claim theyre not. i dont wish to give up my info and HOPE that some night club is decent and moral when im not around. i wouldnt give that info to my best friend, would you?

• palmer
    Retired or Simply Important
    • Jun 2004

Unfortunately I see that as the future. All your info pretty much out on the table for all to see. Credit reports, bank account info, criminal history ...etc...

Its pretty much inevitable.
    todayistomorrow
    art direction | design | animation

Comment

• Balanc3
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Re: drivers license and ID scanners at clubs

National ID cards.
      JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• TomTom
        Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
        • May 2002

In one State in Germany (Nordrhein-Westfalen), they plan to make DJ licenses and the DJ?s who do not have a license won't get booked or allowed to play in clubs anymore. :? It seems some club owners have been sued lately from people with ear damages and who do they blame...of course the DJ and only the DJ. They have to go to a kind of school and people teach them how bad loud music is mkay and other very important things and the DJ`s even have to pass a test to get the license.

This is a crazy world :P

Comment

• Watcher2k
          Getting Somewhere
          • Apr 2005

Expect every club in New Mexico has scanners.. and if we cant scan a ID we have to make a photo copy of it.

3DXProductions|3DXHosting|3DXImgsHost|3DXBlog

Comment

• palmer
            Retired or Simply Important
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by TomTom
            In one State in Germany (Nordrhein-Westfalen), they plan to make DJ licenses and the DJ?s who do not have a license won't get booked or allowed to play in clubs anymore. :? It seems some club owners have been sued lately from people with ear damages and who do they blame...of course the DJ and only the DJ. They have to go to a kind of school and people teach them how bad loud music is mkay and other very important things and the DJ`s even have to pass a test to get the license.

I like you! :P
            todayistomorrow
            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• FM
              Wooooooo!
              • Jun 2004

ehh wonderful litigious society where no one takes responsibility for their own action...typical

I don't mind ID scanners...they are much more accurate and can tell if the license is truly valid...I HIGHLY doubt (civil liberty or not) that anyone is going to take that embedded information and suddenly abuse it...besides, I think the next one that gets scanned in anyway overwrites the previosu one.

All it is is to ensure you're legal...I've seen some really good fakes out there that look legit too.
              FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
              "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
              Facebook!
              A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by palmer
                Unfortunately I see that as the future. All your info pretty much out on the table for all to see. Credit reports, bank account info, criminal history ...etc...

Its pretty much inevitable.
                yep..then some company claims to "lose" it, then goes on like business as usual...fucking bastards.
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Pataky P
                  asdf_imo
                  • Jun 2004

This is very intresting for me...

Comment

• skahound
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by TomTom
                    Somebody call Interpol, Tom's been kidnapped by Pataky.
                    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• supaz
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Scratch the back of your license with something...then it become unreadable...then just say normal wear and tear...

fuckas!

Comment

• rewing3
                        I really don't care
                        • Jun 2004

Unfortuenly, I think there is nothing we can do. If you want to go to a club and they have that then either don't go or deal with. Personally I disagree with it but I guess it is one of those things that it really is not worth bitching about.
                        Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• skahound
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • Jun 2004

2 words: Patriot Act
                          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                            i use to be important
                            • Jun 2004

I have nothing to hide. No problem here.
                            dead, yet alive.

Comment

• TomTom
                              Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
                              • May 2002

It?s not about hiding something or not. Personal rights are attacked more and more and it makes me mad. I don't hurt nobody or commit crimes but I do not want to end in an investigation just because my DNS was found in a pub next to where a guy sat who was shot or to get a visit from the Police because my ID was scanned in a club where a crime happened. The question is, how often do you really need to legitimize yourself? I do not have a problem with showing my ID card where the Security is needed (Airport, Frontiers etc.) but not for going to a club. I really doubt that all the scanning leads to more security. Mass Murders, Terrorists and other criminals have most of the time ways to go either under the radar of the system or to bypass it so the main loss of Freedom happens to "normal" people which are a huge majority. I just do not think it?s worth it as the benefits of such laws are way smaller than the costs and I am not talking about money only here.

Comment

Working...