Boston & Boulder lead the nation in marijuana use.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

Boston & Boulder lead the nation in marijuana use.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Both college towns, Boston and Boulder, Colorado, share another distinction: They lead the nation in marijuana use. Northwestern Iowa and southern Texas have the lowest use.

For the first time, the government looked at the use of drugs, cigarettes, alcohol and various other substances, legal as well as illegal, by region rather than by state for a report Thursday.

Regions could be as specific as Riverside, California, or as broad as all of the state of New York (minus New York City). Federal officials say the information will help states decide where they should spend money for treatment and prevention programs.

For marijuana, 5.1 percent of people around the country reported using marijuana in the previous 30 days. In Boston, the home of Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern and several other colleges, 12.2 percent reported using marijuana in the previous 30 days.

John Auerbach, executive director of the public health commission for the city of Boston, said the survey might not reflect current marijuana use in Boston because the data came from 1999-2001 national surveys.

"All that said, we're not surprised that substance abuse is a serious issue in the Boston area," Auerbach said. "The mayor and the health department have made the issue of substance abuse a top public health priority."

Auerbach also acknowledged that the data may reflect the city's significant 20-something population.

"College students in general have a more relaxed attitude about marijuana than other age groups," he said. "But in general, I don't think Boston has a markedly differently perspective on marijuana than other parts of the country."

The federal report doesn't explain why certain regions fare worse than others when it comes to smoking pot or cigarettes, or for heavy alcohol use, only that they do.

In Boulder County, the home of the University of Colorado, 10.3 percent reported using marijuana during the same time period. But a public health official who has studied marijuana usage there said he too had doubts about the report.

Dr. Chuck Stout, the county's public health director, said he has studied marijuana usage among teens. The percentage of high school students in Boulder County who acknowledged smoking marijuana differed little from state and national averages. He said he doubted that students at the university were heavier marijuana users than students at dozens of other universities around the country.

"Where you have concentrations of younger, active people, you'll have more experimentation with a variety of risk behaviors, but that's true for so many other parts of the country as well," Stout said. "I think this [report] is a huge stretch."

Federal officials said they highlighted the marijuana report because it's the most commonly used illicit drug. But the survey also measures 11 other categories.

For example, the survey measures binge drinking -- defined as five or more drinks in one setting.

Nationally, 20 percent of people age 12 and older reported one or more episodes of binge drinking during the previous month.

Boston scored high in that category, too, with nearly 30 percent of respondents acknowledging binge drinking.

But the Northeast and Southeast regions of North Dakota reported binge drinking among 32 percent of residents of that age group. Overall, North Dakota had the highest rate of binge drinking when compared with other states -- 29.2 percent.

"The further north you are, typically, the more alcohol is consumed," said Douglas Wright, a mathematical statistician with the federal government who helped put the report together.

------------------

Marijuana use
    The regions with the 10 highest and lowest rates of marijuana use by residents 12 and over, according to a report by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration:

Highest

Boston, 12.16 percent
    Boulder, Colorado, 10.3
    Southeast Massachusetts, 9.53
    Portland, Ore., region, 9.48
    Champlain Valley, Vermont, 9.37
    San Francisco region, 9.24
    Hawaii Island, 9.22
    Central Massachusetts, 9
    North Central California, 8.93
    Washington, Rhode Island, 8.81

Lowest

Northwest Iowa, 2.28
    Northeast Iowa, 2.53
    North central Texas, 2.59
    Central Iowa, 2.63
    Lake region and south central North Dakota, 2.65
    Northern Nebraska, 2.65
    Southeast Oklahoma, 2.77
    East-central South Dakota, 2.78
    Badlands and west central North Dakota, 2.81
    Central Nebraska, 2.88

FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • Morgan
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Bong on Boulder!
    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• djjacobtodd
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jul 2004

Re: Boston & Boulder lead the nation in marijuana use.

10.3 percent? Weak....come on Boulder we can do better!

Comment

• 13kickdrums
        Getting Somewhere
        • May 2005

bunch of pot smoking liberals....what happened to good christian values, going to war in iraq, shutting down abortion clinics, good, clean capital punishment, and keeping the gays at bay? THATS what this country is founded on...

fucking pot smokin, environmentally-friendly, open minded whackos...no wonder were hated so much in the world with pansies like that around.

Comment

• rewing3
          I really don't care
          • Jun 2004

Come up smoke 'em up people. We can do better than this.
          Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• jarble187
            vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
            • Sep 2004

I sure as hell am NOT going to Iowa, from the looks of it, its mighty dry there!
            Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• skahound
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FM
              southern Texas have the lowest use.
              That close to the Mexican border and they're not smoking?
              A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• jarble187
                vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                Originally posted by FM
                southern Texas have the lowest use.
                That close to the Mexican border and they're not smoking?
                yeah, no doubt....should be schwag heaven.....gotta love that mexi blend!
                Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• gjg21
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jul 2004

"All that said, we're not surprised that substance abuse is a serious issue in the Boston area," Auerbach said.
                  How the fuck does having smoked in the last 30 days equate substance abuse?

Comment

• dvs
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jun 2004

Washington, Rhode Island, 8.81

that is the county in RI where I am from !!!!
                    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"the progressive sound will not come back because it's already here; you just need to search for it." - Mo Shic

Comment

• 13kickdrums
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • May 2005

[quote="gjg21"]
                      "All that said, we're not surprised that substance abuse is a serious issue in the Boston area," Auerbach said.
                      How the fuck does having smoked in the last 30 days equate substance abuse?

because youre just letting it sit there..it wouldnt be abuse if you consumed faster than 30 days...

Comment

• picklemonkey
                        Double hoodie beer monster
                        • Jun 2004

that just means Boston and Boulder has the most retarded hippies of the US. What kind of dumbasses are going to tell the government they smoke weed?

Comment

• supaz
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

I'm suprised that Cali is not #1...

Maybe they didn't include them bc the whole state blazes...

Comment

• Balanc3
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
                            that just means Boston and Boulder has the most retarded hippies of the US. What kind of dumbasses are going to tell the government they smoke weed?
                            The yuppies kicked the hippies out in '89. Pearl St. was never the same. Now its a bunch of suits from California.

Boulder is the reason I started in the first place. Best kind bud in the country.

But I quit smoking... seems I can't pass a test. Complete U-turn on my behalf.
                            JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• shosh
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2004

Utah would be up there, but we're all smokin crack

Comment

Working...