X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nubreed000
    Getting Somewhere
    • Dec 2004

Sasha & Steve Lawler, Toronto, June 18th

I made it to the club right when Sasha came on stage around 1AM. Sasha played for about 2 and a half hours before handing it over to Steve Lawler for an hour and a half. I was really impressed with how Sasha played. While there were some expected tracks, he adjusted his style a bit to fit Lawler's pounding style towards the end of his set. Of course, this was all just a small warmup before the real party on the Skybar upstairs.

Lawler finished around 4:45am to go get ready for his Skybar set, so Sasha came back on and played for a couple more hours in the mainroom. I can't really say what happend then, because after Lawler finished I stuck around for Sasha for a bit and then went straight to the Skybar to get ready for Lawler (and, there was a high chance Sasha would join Lawler in the Skybar after he finished his set in the mainroom...so I was really looking forward to this).

Now...if the night ended with just the set's in the mainroom, then it would've just been an amazing party, but what followed on the Skybar was unreal. From Lawler's incredible start at 6am, all the way to the heartbreaking finish, this was a historical, one-of-a-kind party that I doubt Toronto will experience again for a long time.

Lawler hit the decks on the Skybar at around 6AM to a packed patio. He started off with some really dirty, funky beats just to get the crowd prepared for the madness ahead, because around 7:30AM,.Sasha DID show up on the Skybar and that's when the party took off. I was really curious to see how Sasha and Lawler would adjust their styles to eachother, and I gotta say that what they did blew everyone the fuck away. This was one of the dirtiest, nastiest sets I've heard. Both Sasha & Lawler didn't waste anytime and proceeded to pound the hell out of the crowd from the get-go. It was an incredible sight watching the 2 of them fuck around on the mixer, cutting in and out of eachothers tracks. Not to mention the inredible track selection from both. I've seen Sasha 5 times and Lawler 4 times already, and I haven't seen either of them go this crazy at any of th previous parties.

They were definately having as much fun as we were, which is saying a lot cause everyone was simply going OFF to the music.

But of course, as all good things must come to an end, the ending of this party was a heartbreaking one. While Lawler was scheduled to spin till 10AM, I was 100% sure that this would've gone till 11 or even noon, if police didn't crash the party at 9:40AM, and shut everything down because of noise by-law violations (how are noise by-laws being violated at 9am but not at 3 or 4am??)

Even though it was pretty depressing to have the party end so abruptly, that 2 hour back-to-back session was unreal.

Sasha & Lawler: THANK YOU for laying down one of the best sets this city has ever experienced. I don't think anyone who was lucky enough to be there will forget this. And Toronto Police, to quote Lawler: "You're fuckin bollocks!"
    The Groove Is In The Air
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

nice .jpg proof ya got there. looks like a wild party!

Comment

• day_for_night
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Re: Sasha & Steve Lawler, Toronto, June 18th

my friend kept telling me to stay in toronto just a few days longer for this, but i decided to head home. i've seen both of them separately, but now i'm wishing i'd stayed and caught them together. damn.

Comment

• Jibgolly
        Vortexuralizor
        • Jun 2004

you should have stayed

Comment

• day_for_night
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

bah, i came home to plan for my trip to china, which i leave for in 12 hours.

Comment

• Jibgolly
            Vortexuralizor
            • Jun 2004

will need .jpg proof plz :P

Comment

• nubreed000
              Getting Somewhere
              • Dec 2004

...and it was awesome watching Sasha spin again. None of this Ableton bullshit.

I really doubt this, but I hope this set was recorded and gets released.
              The Groove Is In The Air

Comment

• sakio pod
                SALAD TOSSER
                • Jun 2004

...and it was awesome watching Sasha spin again. None of this Ableton bullshit.
                so he played records all night.....or just outside.......fuck i'd rather hear sasha on ableton at least you won't hear him knockin beats

Comment

• Jibgolly
                  Vortexuralizor
                  • Jun 2004

from the pictures he just had a xone 62 and 2 cdj's. dont think sasha has touched too many records since 2003.

Comment

• sakio pod
                    SALAD TOSSER
                    • Jun 2004

^^^yeah i noticed that too.......must have been one hell of a party.....fuck why do the states suck so bad......it seems everywhere but space in miami has to close by 7am unless its a little shit hole.....god i would give anything to hear a set go till ten am

Comment

• windsor1995
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Oct 2004

i have heard from other people as well that this was a once in a lifetime party...which is why i am so depressed that i could not go

Comment

• serbumax85
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • May 2005

sound and looks live you had a baging time
                        max

Comment

• nubreed000
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Dec 2004

This pic pretty much sums up what the Skybar was like the whole time they were playing:

And yes, it was one of those "once in a lifetime" parties. Everyone that was on the Skybar was there to PARTY. They knew it, we knew it.
                          The Groove Is In The Air

Comment

• sakio pod
                            SALAD TOSSER
                            • Jun 2004

great pics dude

Comment

• Duff McKagin
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Sep 2004

fuck i can't believe i left at 5:30 right before they went on to the skybar. one of the security guards told me that you could only get in if you were on a guestlist. a few of my friends stuck around and said it was unfuckingbelieveable. and by the way sasha used ableton in the mainroom all night which was sick..
                              Fly? Yes. Land? No!

Comment

Working...