X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Localizer
    Platinum Poster
    • Jul 2004

Where'd you go Progressive House?

I was reading through my issue of BPM that I got in the mail today and was reading their review of Balance 007 from Fortier in which they say "Fortier assuredly shrugs off his progressive house tag for pure progress." I don't mind that people are switching to the electro fad but now I'm wondering, what's happened to the Progressive House they once adored? I mean, Bedrock still churns out progressive tunes and has yet to put out an electro tune and Fade still has the progressive sound to it. So then why isn't there a switch? Why does it seem as though the top jocks are catering to someone else that they don't want to instead of themselves? Even the EQ label barely has an electro infused tracks....most are deep techy progressive house tracks but no where near electro. So what am I missing here? Who has who by the balls?

I'm lost......
    Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
    -Bertrand Russell
  • supaz
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Where'd you go Progressive House?

It's the freakin media (BPM) ... they have a vested interest in electro, that's why they're pushing the issue.

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

Progressive is not going any where. and frankly it is nice to see DJ's spin other types of sets.

It is progressive after all.
      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• gjg21
        Gold Gabber
        • Jul 2004

progressive is alive and well.

monotonous single note bassline drum-tracks with the occasional atmospheric swoosh are yesterday's news.

Comment

• futura
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

I feel somewhat nostalgic for the dark, tribally beats of what I think people are missing in "Progressive". The whole Creamer/K mixes, and the darker Bedrock stuff - and of course Digweed's "darker days".

The music has been expanding in recent months and year(s)? and going into a more breakbeat/electro type of thing, but there is still the common thread of a fairly multi-layered sound of effects and essential beat.

Anthemic / trace shite can stay where it is - on a divergent path down never to return.

But as long as progressive hints back to its darker days with the same deep vibes, and multi-layered sound, I think I'll be ok.

Some I like, some I don't. But for the most part, I am in agreement with the "progression". As a "connoisseur" of the music, and not a producer or DJ, I don't have much say in "where it goes", but like I said, I am enjoying it. Hopefully quality will increase and "progress", and not get stuck in a rut (i.e. pure trance), etc.
          may the groove be with you

Comment

• shosh
            Banned
            • Jun 2004

progressive means thats its progressing... of course the music isnt the same as it was years ago...

on the same note im glad ive progressed and dont listen to the likes of tiesticles, oakenlickballs, blank and jones, which im embarassed to recall

imo good music is good music... peace out brothers... let the music progress

Comment

• sakio pod
              SALAD TOSSER
              • Jun 2004

times are changing......thats about it

Comment

• Localizer
                Platinum Poster
                • Jul 2004

waiiittt....I thought Progressive was only meant for the way the track builds thus why they were 7-10 minutes in length as opposed to 6 minutes or so. If Progressive meant moving into another direction in the style of music, than everything would be considered progressive. For me, I'm just wondering why some of the dj's are keeping their labels progressive when they're going off in another direction..
                Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• day_for_night
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

progressive just means tracks arent formulaic (ie. the way trance got to be in the late 90s), imho. it gives such wide room for interpretation, and thats why its so great.

Comment

• skahound
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jun 2004

blah blah blah my pussy hurts. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
                    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• day_for_night
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

it burns when i piss...

Comment

• rewing3
                        I really don't care
                        • Jun 2004

^

Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• MJDub
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Every time I hit my finger with the hammer it hurts. What should I do?
                          http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• Kinetic
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Localizer
                            waiiittt....I thought Progressive was only meant for the way the track builds thus why they were 7-10 minutes in length as opposed to 6 minutes or so. If Progressive meant moving into another direction in the style of music, than everything would be considered progressive. For me, I'm just wondering why some of the dj's are keeping their labels progressive when they're going off in another direction..
                            But that?s why there?s stuff like Bedrock having Bedrock Breaks, for example.

A dance label is not like a rock label...many times it?s supposed to have an identity, and since most dance artists are "faceless", people buy according more to labels than artist names. Look at Stereo Recordings...it?s got loads of off-shoots...if I went to buy a record put out by Stereo, and it turned out to be a minimal-glitch-tech-house track, I?d be weary of future buys, because from Stereo I would expect a tribal house record.

Then there?s labels like Warp, that started out by putting artists like Aphex Twin and Squarepusher, and nowadays they?ve even got rock acts on their roster.
                            "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                            http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• picklemonkey
                              Double hoodie beer monster
                              • Jun 2004

This is a EDM board, but it's definitely getting old to hear this whole "progressive vs tech" or "progressive vs electro" or "progressive is dead" debate.

Comment

Working...