X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Bush's Speech Last Night

Did anyone watch the whole thing that has any thoughts on it? I have to confess that I was only able to watch the first 15 minutes or so before I had to head out, but I have two observations from that brief time:

1. Didn't really hear anything new. Sounded like more of the same to me. I guess he was a little more forthright about some things, but nothing revolutionary, IMO.

2. Bush didn't look very sure of himself -- he didn't have that swagger he normally does that portrays a sense of invincibility. I don't know, maybe it was because he didn't have the benefit of people applauding every 30 seconds as when he normally speaks -- his speeches are normally: (1) soundbite, (2) applause, (3) repeat. Perhaps it was because he was coming from a defensive posture, speaking to try to stop the decline in support for the Iraq war. Bottom line is that I don't know why, but he didn't have the arrogant, smug air about him.
  • MJDub
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

That pretty much sums up the whole speech, too. He's a quarterback trying to play defense, and it comes across as unsure, not exactly the persona he's tried to keep. The speech didn't necessarily hurt him more than he already had hurt himself, although people will get pissed about his 9/11 references, and I think that the ultra-Orthodox Bush supporters will get a rise for a few days out of it.

Basically, the speech was a wash and a waste of my time.
    http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• Pataky P
      asdf_imo
      • Jun 2004

Re: Bush's Speech Last Night

Yes guys you are sure!!

Comment

Working...