X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GerryD
    I love skanking
    • Jun 2004

Plans for Freedom Tower revised

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Officials unveiled new plans on Wednesday for a Freedom Tower at the site of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks which addresses police concerns that the building's previous design left it vulnerable to attack.

The revised plan features a heavily reinforced concrete core, steel bars on every floor and a lobby set back from the street and draped in protective panels of titanium and stainless steel, designers said.

The Freedom Tower, the proposed centerpiece of the rebuilding at the site known as Ground Zero, was sent back to the drawing board in May due to police concerns that the building would be too close to street traffic to protect it from the threat of a car or truck bomb.

"There's no question that this is a huge symbol," said James Kallstrom, former FBI chief in New York who is overseeing security plans. "Terrorists have attacked it two times before. It would be naive of us to think they wouldn't try again."

Gov. George Pataki, who with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and others unveiled the new design at a Manhattan news conference, said he was so confident in the building's safety that he would be "honored" to have one of his children work in it.

"What we've come up with now is even better than the original," Pataki said. "I think it will be very safe."

The attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, when two hijacked jets slammed into the World Trade Center, killed 2,749 people. A bomb attack in 1993 killed six people.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement he approved of the new design, which he said would better "protect the building against bomb blasts, which our counterterrorism experts agree present one of the greatest threats to such iconic structures."

Developer Larry Silverstein, who holds the lease to the site owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said the new building "is ready to proceed."

"It has the blessing of the police department of New York and the Port Authority and, with that, we're moving forward," he said.

The footings of the building are scheduled to be laid in the first quarter of next year, and completion is set for 2010, he said of the building, which has no committed tenants yet.

Seventy floors are designed for occupancy.

Like the earlier plan, the new Freedom Tower will be 1,776 feet tall to symbolize the year the United States declared its independence.

Sides of the slender new building are sliced into eight faceted triangles, four pointing up and four down, so at its midpoint it is octagonal, said architect David Childs.

Its roof will be 1,362 feet and the parapet 1,368 feet -- the heights of the two fallen twin towers, he said.

"In a subtle but important way this building recalls, but in a very new shape, those buildings that were lost," he said.

It will be set back an average of 90 feet from nearby West Street. The earlier set-back was 25 feet. Other safety measures include stairs and sprinklers encased in a core that is three feet thick in most places.

Monica Iken, whose husband died in the twin towers, said she wants stringent security measures to be applied to the memorial planned on the 16-acre Ground Zero site as well. Family members say having only two ramps for access into the memorial itself could be dangerous.

"If they say it's safe, we hope it's true," Iken said. "Now they need to go back to the drawing board and address the rest of the memorial."

Original plans for the Freedom Tower were unveiled in late 2003 after a public competition

Check out the slide show

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.
    "We're professional entertainers. You give us money, we entertain you.

• picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Plans for Freedom Tower revised

Originally posted by GerryD
    George Pataki said he was so confident in the building
    riiiiight. never trust a Pataki.

Comment

• Jibgolly
      Vortexuralizor
      • Jun 2004

looks nice. will they be incorporating any of the old towers into the new one?

Comment

• picklemonkey
        • Jun 2004

I seriously think it'll be attacked halfway through completion. :?

Comment

• remoh
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

i think its great that this tower is being built.... i do wish it looked more like the original towers ...
          [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
          |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

• MJDub
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

I think they should use Trump's idea and rebuild the towers as they were, what he calls Twin Towers II, except with hardened security. Nobody can say "Fuck you" to people better than Trump, so let him say it to the terrorists.
            http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• miketpoto
              Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MJDub
              I think they should use Trump's idea and rebuild the towers as they were, what he calls Twin Towers II, except with hardened security. Nobody can say "Fuck you" to people better than Trump, so let him say it to the terrorists.
              As a New Yorker who watched the towers fall without the need of every channel broadcasting over and over (not to mention how fucked it is that they still run the footage regularly in the background when any news story is remotely related to it, but thats a whole nother can of worms) I initally was in favor of rebuilding them exactly (visually at least) as they were... and having not thought about it for a long time now, I must say that it would be way too creepy to see that same exact skyline return... I know for at least myself that it would invoke very vivid memories and disturbing "daydream scenarios" of what all the individual final moments must have been like for everyone who died that day, where they were, how long some of them knew what was going to happen to them when they realised they were trapped (I still have nightmares about being one of the people who were stuck in the elevator from crash to collapse in the higher floors, I don't know for sure if this really happened but it haunts me to this day)

I dont think a bold symbol of the strength of America is something that we as a country

A) deserve politically or should present to the world that we think we do

B) are mature enough to handle returning to having this "big cock" of propaganda go to our head... looking down at this symbolic big dick and being brainwashed to be "proud to be an american" and schoolchildren pledging allegiance to the flag every morning... a new generation cocksure enough to fight and die for something that most likely havent ever questioned if they should be proud and are we the land with "liberty and Justice for ALL"?

Look how easily manipulated or tricked the US is, Bush got re-elected by putting fear of terrorist attack into all of the states that the crazy fuckin Jihad gang has never even heard of, let alone planning to attack & from convincing the rich he'll keep them that way and the bible belt he'll keep our salvation as a nation with family values and invented an imaginary all-or-nothing emergency threat to all that is good and pure with adamant certainty that gay marriage will trigger complete moral decay and eliminate all social order in the land.

I'll wrap up this tangent I could spew about for pages with a simple paragraph quote that is a prime example of the mindset and what the basis of the logic these people go by (and my major reason why I think America doesn't deserve to be given a big dick at this point in time) it's from FIRST THINGS! the journal of Religion, Culture, and Public Life! (while you read this, think about the irony of the name FREEDOM TOWER)

"Many oppose same-sex unions and the consequent revolution in marriage and family law because they believe homosexuality is a disorder and homosexual acts are morally wrong. That is not a private prejudice. It is not, as the Supreme Court has claimed, an ?irrational animus.? It is a considered and very public moral judgment grounded in clear reason and historical experience, and supported by the authority of the biblical tradition. Nobody should apologize for publicly advocating a position informed by the foundational moral truths of Western Civilization. Of course, those who do so will be accused of ?homophobia.? Homophobia is a term of recent coinage intended to serve as a conversation stopper. Its power to intimidate is rapidly diminishing. Support for the civilizational tradition in this regard is not a phobia; it is not an irrational fear. Concern about the legal establishment and normalization of sexual deviance is fully warranted. What is called homophobia is more accurately understood as a positive judgment regarding the common good and, most particularly, the well-being of children. It should not be, but it still is, necessary to add that hatred of gays or denial of their human or civil rights is evil and must be unequivocally condemned. Moreover, it must be candidly acknowledged that gay demands and agitations today are not unrelated to patterns of sexual hedonism in the general culture."

I gotta go sexually deviate from the norm if I'm wanna compromise the well being of the children anytime soon, I better fuckin hurry!

*i got really personal and heavy so i tried to balance it out with a laugh and a really good example of why NYC should not get shit on for the rest of the country... but feel free to make fun of how much i can rant, I enjoy it

Comment

• MJDub
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

So why don't you tell us how you really feel.
                http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• picklemonkey
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
                  I seriously think it'll be attacked halfway through completion. :?
                  Originally posted by miketpoto
                  [a lot of shit]
                  yeah, you basically explained my point. it shows we're arrogant, and I think it'll be attacked again.

Comment

• miketpoto
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MJDub
                    So why don't you tell us how you really feel.

well....
                    I feel pretty
                    Oh so Pretty
                    -----
                    I feel pretty and hostile and gay.....
                    and I pity, any christians that I'll see today.....
                    who's the bloody man on the ground with that bible there?
                    what bible where?
                    --------------
                    here are some links that I have been fuming as I read them all morning, this shit is fucked up but fascinating to contemplate the "logic" used and what kind of a person can justify that reasoning as remotely intelligent or even expect an adult with any fair amount of common sense or free thought to buy into... Apologies for those who value and actively practice an organized religion, but the fuck can anyone feel certain and entitled somehow enough to define a concept such as marriage and quote the bible (insisting it to be the word of the creator who spoke to these "apostle dudes" who then wrote it down for him

YOU MAY SKIP THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH LONG RANT AS IT ISN'T REQUIRED TO UNDERSTAND THE MATERIAL IN THE LINKS BUT IS BITCHING ABOUT IT
                    (cause an entity as almighty as they say this guy is, would really still be needy and passive aggressive enough to make us all live out entire lives with all sorts of fucked up horrible things happening to so many all of the time, just to make sure we love him even though we never met him and the only thing he supposedly even fucking bothered to do to introduce himself is to send a lot of FUGLY people door to door delivering the Truth............... or those guys who are actual physical embodiments on earth of the big JC who himself actually "conferred" or as I like to put it, 'wrote a testimonial for' who keep tending to end up molesting children somehow in the process of telling us all the rules and technicalities and loopholes to the whole "christ-love" thing... and a million other things that make me cross my fingers and hope that the whole thing will be looked back upon in a few years like mullet haircuts are... Like.. WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING? )

anyway, tangent buster

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

I sense that this post is perilously close to getting bumped over to politics...

Comment

• miketpoto
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by toasty
                        I sense that this post is perilously close to getting bumped over to politics...
                        Well there would be no need for a new "freedom tower" if the politics of repression didn't cause all the anger, resentment, and knocking down of the original ones...

Comment

• Chatterbot
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

I?m wondering what you (especially NYC) US-dudes are thinking
                          about all this "conspiracy-theories" about 9/11 floating around the internet?

I mean, conspiracy-books are selling well at the moment... and here
                          in Germany 60percent of the peeps can imagine, that the US-government
                          has lots to do with this...

Just curious...

Comment

• neoee
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Chatterbot
                            I?m wondering what you (especially NYC) US-dudes are thinking
                            about all this "conspiracy-theories" about 9/11 floating around the internet?

I mean, conspiracy-books are selling well at the moment... and here
                            in Germany 60percent of the peeps can imagine, that the US-government
                            has lots to do with this...

Just curious...
                            To be honest I'm easily sold on conspiracy theories, so I'm a believer in this one. What is surprising though is the amount of evidence or condiences that are showing up (NORAD- northern vigilance, FEMA- already in position to do an excersize, Air traffic control excersize, tied together with testimony from the 9/11 commission, and PNAP). I don't think the truth will ever come out, its not just another watergate- many lives were lost.
                            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...