Here's What 10 Old (School) DJs Think About "EDM"

a quote from digweed in this

Here's What 10 Old (School) DJs Think About "EDM" | Thump
    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier
  • go0gle
    Platinum Poster
    • Jan 2007

Re: Here's What 10 Old (School) DJs Think About "EDM"

They don't like it but I think they all know that its beneficial to the industry in one way or another..

Comment

• thebanned1
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • May 2009

Originally posted by go0gle
      They don't like it but I think they all know that its beneficial to the industry in one way or another..
      "beneficial to the scene" has been used by many an artist who started to make a more commercial sound usually followed by "people who get into my new sound will eventually explore my routes and explore other artists with that same sound".....it's been proven so many times to be false though

these guys who do EDM are creating a new creative scene for the kids of today in the same way that everything was new to us when it first came out, i HATE EDM personally ( and just about everything in it ) but kids need to explore their youth in the same way we did so in that respect i have some respect for it

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Y^^^ You are right here, although I think there will be a small but solid percentage who will realise what they are missing and move on to more substantial music. What worries me more is that Djs I have loved have been incorporating some of this EDM with more meaningless poppy vocals.

Originally posted by thebanned1
        He only seemed to care about how it effected him Or possibly we had some weird editing, Not a good article actually.
        Originally posted by TheVrk
        it IS incredible isn't it??
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
        Simply does not get any better than Hernan
        The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• thebanned1
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • May 2009

Originally posted by DIDI
          Y^^^ You are right here, although I think there will be a small but solid percentage who will realise what they are missing and move on to more substantial music. What worries me more is that Djs I have loved have been incorporating some of this EDM with more meaningless poppy vocals.
          i'd like to be optimistic about what you are saying but i can't see a lot of these people turning to the kind of stuff we like, they have been influenced by a completely different sound, for them its new, for them "our" sound is just the stuff your mum and dad listen to

who wants to go clubbing with mum and dad around ?

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by thebanned1
            i'd like to be optimistic about what you are saying but i can't see a lot of these people turning to the kind of stuff we like, they have been influenced by a completely different sound, for them its new, for them "our" sound is just the stuff your mum and dad listen to

who wants to go clubbing with mum and dad around ?
            There has always been crap repetitive dance music around but a lot of us did move on.

who wants to go clubbing with mum and dad around
            It might surprise you
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• thebanned1
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • May 2009

There has always been crap repetitive dance music around but a lot of us did move on.
              i agree but then i look at the times i,ve been into crap music myself ( yup i admit it ) when i got bored of it i generally moved onto something that went along with the times, i can see this happening here

It might surprise you
              yea but a serious club ? i,m not talking about a family outing in the local bar

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

^^^ I have always had excellent taste in Music Seriously l can look at my albums over the years and I would be lucky to find 1/ doz that I wouldn't play now. The discos we used to go to didn't give us great choice And you were supposed to wait until someone asked you do dance.. It was mainly crap. Not even that dissimilar to a lot the crap today.

Are you forgetting that I am an older clubber?? The serious clubs are more likely to have some older clubbers, and that applies in the UK as well in my experience. Nick Warren Gig I went to in the UK second last time I was there I have never seen that much silver hair under one rooftop In fact I have found the UK clubbers to be really good. But the older clubbers do seem to go out more for the music . The younger ones it's more of a social experience. One of my best friends has two daughters who go clubbing with her . Another older Guy I know and his daughter go clubbing together. My son has gone out with me twice, but his taste in music is just awful. I would prefer he didn't come actually.

I should say I really only go to serious clubs.

When were you last in a club. ??

Comment

• thebanned1
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • May 2009

^^^ I have always had excellent taste in Music Seriously l can look at my albums over the years and I would be lucky to find 1/ doz that I wouldn't play now. The discos we used to go to didn't give us great choice And you were supposed to wait until someone asked you do dance.. It was mainly crap. Not even that dissimilar to a lot the crap today.

Are you forgetting that I am an older clubber?? The serious clubs are more likely to have some older clubbers, and that applies in the UK as well in my experience. Nick Warren Gig I went to in the UK second last time I was there I have never seen that much silver hair under one rooftop In fact I have found the UK clubbers to be really good. But the older clubbers do seem to go out more for the music . The younger ones it's more of a social experience. One of my best friends has two daughters who go clubbing with her . Another older Guy I know and his daughter go clubbing together. My son has gone out with me twice, but his taste in music is just awful. I would prefer he didn't come actually.

When were you last in a club. ??

it's been a long time since i was out in a club if i,m completely honest, it started to feel like i was the oldest there and i wasn't to comfortable feeling that way, its a completely different atmosphere to what i,m used to plus when you've been round the block a few times and it's the same guys being constantly booked over and over again it's just monotonous, yea there are some young ones getting into the scene i,ll admit that but many ( here anyway ) are only going to these events because there really isn't a new scene for them to follow so they are basically being conditioned to like the stuff we do by the same people who entertained us, alcohol and drugs have a lot to answer for, it can't go on like this forever, even the guys putting on the events are getting bored with it, there just isn't the same energy in it like there used to be

i could never go clubbing with a kid, i don't have any kids so i say that lightly, i can understand why people go clubbing with their kids completely

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

^^ That all makes a lot of sense but I still want to go out and dance to great music. There has been so little on I have really missed it. (

The scene here is terrible at the moment. The gigs are mainly on the east coast , Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Sydney and now Brisbane have instituted lock out laws asked for by people who know fuckall about it. You have a couple of fights in the vicinity of a club, not even related to the clubs, and we have this outcry about violence. Which has been trending down for years anyway !!

The main Sydney entertainment precinct is effectively gone now. Literally thousands of jobs gone. The same will happen to Brisbane. We here in Melbourne have a really good government who like the idea of a 24 hour city and instead of shutting the clubs down they introduced all night transport, which is being well used !! They do police them well. We trailed the lockout a few years ago but decided against.

But the outcome of all this is that because we are so far away from the rest of the world it's just not viable to come for one city. And despite that fact that we have some truly amazing locals, even 2nd rate internationals seem to be needed to pull in the punters.

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

because we are so far away from the rest of the world
                      In many ways, you are quite lucky in that respect.

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Feb 2009

Kind of agree with my man Ricardo Villalobos

"I can't condemn EDM or cheesy pop music if the people democratically decided that's what they want. It belongs to them. People who have the same interests do not go to war and kill each other. It's hard to kill someone when you share similar values."

There is sooooo much music and different options (clubs, big festivals, etc) that is a waste of time trying to convince anyone about truly "good taste and quality music" .. Kids now easily find access to the whole spectrum of options and everyone will choose whatever they want.. Seems fair to me.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• Claire Taurus
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2014

Safe to say banned1 has a few Sigue Sigue Sputnik albums.

Comment

• thebanned1
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Claire Taurus
                            Safe to say banned1 has a few Sigue Sigue Sputnik albums.

whats not to like about them, i even based my fashion sense on them, you're just jealous because i,m the hippest person on this board

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Nov 2013

Grown men in stiletto heels with fish net stockings on their head LOL

Comment

Working...