Summer transfer madness continues - Viera to Juve ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Summer transfer madness continues - Viera to Juve ?

You heard it here on [ms] first.

After the annual will he or won't he pantomine with Stevie Gerrard follows the even longer running summer transfer saga of Patrick Viera:

Taken from The Times:

Another summer soap opera took an unexpected twist yesterday. Patrick Vieira, who every year comes within a whisker of leaving Arsenal, could finally be on his way after it emerged that the London club had entered negotiations about selling their long-serving captain to Juventus.

Arsenal supporters will reassure themselves that they have heard it before about Vieira, who has delighted them by turning down Real at the last moment in each of the past two summers, but this time it seems that a parting of the ways may be the preferred option for all concerned. Arsenal are believed to have entertained a delegation from Juventus on Wednesday night.

Juventus believe that Arsenal are seeking close to ?18 million to secure the 29-year-old?s services. The Italian club are keen to signal to their supporters that they are in the market for top players but are not believed to have that sum available in cash, unless they can sell some of their players, such as Emerson and David Trezeguet.

They are offering Arsenal cash plus players, including Stephen Appiah, the Ghana midfield player, who is the subject of strong interest from Middlesbrough. That bid holds no appeal for Arsenal, who are demanding a significantly higher cash sum.

If a makeweight were required, their preference would be for Jonathan Zebina, the France defender, rather than Appiah. Ars?ne Wenger, the Arsenal manager, has identified Mahamadou Diarra, of Lyons, as the most suitable replacement if Vieira is sold.

Even if negotiations go no farther, it is clear that, having entertained and haggled with Roberto Bettega and Luciano Moggi, respectively vice-president and director-general of the Italian club, Arsenal will consider selling Vieira. The captain was not at his most influential last season and may be sold as Wenger seeks to reshape his team with younger midfield players such as Francesc F?bregas and Mathieu Flamini.

A new centre forward is also a requirement, with the club confident of signing J?lio Baptista, the prolific Brazil striker, from Seville, as his hopes of joining Real appear to be ill-founded.

Vieira?s thoughts on a possible move to Italy are unclear, given that he has previously said he would not return to Serie A after encountering racism during an unhappy spell with AC Milan at the start of his career. It is hard to understand why he would be prepared to go to Juventus when he rejected Real.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • Hos
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Summer transfer madness continues - Viera to Juve ?

si, this story has been stirring over the last few days. peter hil-wood was quoted as saying he's not heard anything about it.

this from tomorrow's independent

Juventus have backed away from plans to lodge a bid for Patrick Vieira after receiving no encouragement from Arsenal. Luciano Moggi, the Italian club's director general, and Robert Bettaga, the co-president, the two men who would handle any negotiations, remained in Turin yesterday.

Reports had suggested the pair had travelled to London but that was immediately denied while the Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein, who handles all transfer deals, was, in any case, on holiday in Spain.

Juventus are nevertheless certainly still interested in Vieira, who has two years left on his current deal. That would take him up to the age of 31 and Arsenal are understood to be set to offer him - as well as Gilberto Silva, Thierry Henry and Fredrik Ljungberg, new contracts. A new one-year deal has already been offered to Robert Pires, which has been rejected, and it is possible that the Frenchman will leave this summer. Pires, who has just 12 months left, could prove to be another target for Juventus, although he has also been linked to Valencia and Lyon, while the Turkish club Galatasaray have set a deadline of today for the 31-year-old to accept a three-year deal.
    black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• MJ
      Here since 2002
      • Jun 2004

Never believe what you read in the papers, it`s all garbage if you ask me. I once read a report that said Pataky was a human being.
      mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• simonr
        Transitionator
        • Jun 2004

Hos

Wenger has a habit of cashing in at the right time, getting the maximum fee and putting the funds to v good use.

I don't think Patrick was the same awesome player he usually is last year. That said, while Cesc Fabregas is going to be one hell of player and keep developing, he doesn't do that Viera role. I'd certainly want to keep a well motivated Viera ... unless I got a silly offer and was conscious of his age.

Wenger would have to be convinced he had a ready made replacement. The price of players (particularly where Russian Rubels are involved) is just plain barmy ... ?26m for Essien

MJ - What position does Pakaty play ? I hear he's good in the air.
        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Hos
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by simonr
          Hos

Wenger has a habit of cashing in at the right time, getting the maximum fee and putting the funds to v good use.

I don't think Patrick was the same awesome player he usually is last year. That said, while Cesc Fabregas is going to be one hell of player and keep developing, he doesn't do that Viera role. I'd certainly want to keep a well motivated Viera ... unless I got a silly offer and was conscious of his age.

Wenger would have to be convinced he had a ready made replacement. The price of players (particularly where Russian Rubels are involved) is just plain barmy ... ?26m for Essien

MJ - What position does Pakaty play ? I hear he's good in the air.
          chel$ki have destroyed the nature of the tranfer market.

yes, it would be a great time to cash in on Patrick and he wasn't himself last year BUT he is a symbol of the club, he's the club captain and I really don't think he wants to leave. with all that's happened with Gerrard...I find it hard to believe we'd sell our captain unless he was unhappy.

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

I hope that Ronaldinho ?54+ rumour to Chelsea isn't true.

I love the way Barca play football ... plus the thoughT of Robben and Wright-Phillips on each wing is already worrying enough !
            sigpicSimonR

Comment

• Hos
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

gutted about SWP. if there was a transfer + wage cap then SWP would be an Arsenal player this coming season. :cry:

Comment

• Hos
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Pataky Pal showed early promise as a sweeper. Unfortunately for all his talent he got sucked into the MercuryServer

Comment

• horsack
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MusicalJourney
                  Never believe what you read in the papers, it`s all garbage if you ask me. I once read a report that said Pataky was a human being.

haha
                  brother man gonna break a window
                  gonna steal a hubcap
                  gonna smoke a joint
                  brother man gonna go to jail
                  the man who tried to steal america ... is not in jail
                  we beg your pardon america

Comment

• MJ
                    Here since 2002
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Hos
                    Pataky Pal showed early promise as a sweeper. Unfortunately for all his talent he got sucked into the MercuryServer
                    Ba boom.
                    mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• Pataky P
                      asdf_imo
                      • Jun 2004

Yes maybe this will true ..I also heard this news

Comment

• dawnx
                        The Donator
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Hos
                        gutted about SWP. if there was a transfer + wage cap then SWP would be an Arsenal player this coming season. :cry:
                        Hos if SWP had his way he would rather be gooner than headhunter
                        because he would want to be like his father, And dose he want to be
                        paid ?80,000 a week to sit on the bench i'll be gutted if he goes i would rather playing first team football (he'll get that where he is or at the Arsenal) either way he won't be wearing the blue shirt of the mighty City

Comment

• simonr
                          Transitionator
                          • Jun 2004

Reckon SWP would love to follow in his father's footsteps given the chance.

Not sure that Chelsea is the best move for SWP ... they don't exactly develop players these days, they are impatient and constantly seeking to replace anyone that isn't an instant success.

Personally I'd love to see SWP at Liverpool ... but you just can't compete with Chelsea's financial muscle. As Wenger was saying, the mere mention of Chelseas interest adds 25% plus to the fee.
                          sigpicSimonR

Comment

Working...