X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Activist Judges

The results of an empirical review of the US Supreme Court Justices voting behavior was recently published in a NYT Op-Ed to assess which of the justices were the most "activist," i.e., which justices voted to strike down a law of Congress the most often, a/k/a "legislating from the bench." Looks like the conservatices are correct that Kennedy is one of the more "activist" judges, but the other folks interfering in Congress' business hardly fit the liberal mold. Check it out -- some highlights are below:

So Who Are the Activists?

WHEN Democrats or Republicans seek to criticize judges or judicial nominees, they often resort to the same language. They say that the judge is "activist." But the word "activist" is rarely defined. Often it simply means that the judge makes decisions with which the critic disagrees.

In order to move beyond this labeling game, we've identified one reasonably objective and quantifiable measure of a judge's activism, and we've used it to assess the records of the justices on the current Supreme Court.

Here is the question we asked: How often has each justice voted to strike down a law passed by Congress?

Declaring an act of Congress unconstitutional is the boldest thing a judge can do. That's because Congress, as an elected legislative body representing the entire nation, makes decisions that can be presumed to possess a high degree of democratic legitimacy. In an 1867 decision, the Supreme Court itself described striking down Congressional legislation as an act "of great delicacy, and only to be performed where the repugnancy is clear." Until 1991, the court struck down an average of about one Congressional statute every two years. Between 1791 and 1858, only two such invalidations occurred.

Of course, calling Congressional legislation into question is not necessarily a bad thing. If a law is unconstitutional, the court has a responsibility to strike it down. But a marked pattern of invalidating Congressional laws certainly seems like one reasonable definition of judicial activism.

Since the Supreme Court assumed its current composition in 1994, by our count it has upheld or struck down 64 Congressional provisions. That legislation has concerned Social Security, church and state, and campaign finance, among many other issues. We examined the court's decisions in these cases and looked at how each justice voted, regardless of whether he or she concurred with the majority or dissented.

We found that justices vary widely in their inclination to strike down Congressional laws. Justice Clarence Thomas, appointed by President George H. W. Bush, was the most inclined, voting to invalidate 65.63 percent of those laws; Justice Stephen Breyer, appointed by President Bill Clinton, was the least, voting to invalidate 28.13 percent. The tally for all the justices appears below.

Thomas 65.63 %
    Kennedy 64.06 %
    Scalia 56.25 %
    Rehnquist 46.88 %
    O?Connor 46.77 %
    Souter 42.19 %
    Stevens 39.34 %
    Ginsburg 39.06 %
    Breyer 28.13 %

These differences in the degree of intervention and in temperament tell us far more about "judicial activism" than we commonly understand from the term's use as a mere epithet. As the discussion of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's replacement begins, we hope that debates about "activist judges" will include indicators like these.
  • pacific493
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

Re: Activist Judges

The problem with this analysis is that the term "activist" is completely meaningless, as is the oft-heard phrase "legislate from the brench." The sad fact is that both sides use such rhetoric when a court hands down a decision with which they disagree.

In reality, the term activist is generally used by conservatives to mean someone that believes in the right to privacy and, therefore, would uphold Roe v. Wade. Although, to a lesser extent it is used when a judge decides a case that is viewed as anti-religion.

Trying to quantify which justices or judges are the biggest activist only serves to legitimize a term that has no meaning and no real place in a reasoned discussion of the law.

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

^^ That's actually pretty much my point -- in light of the way it is normally used, I think this reflects the utter absurdity of the term. I've always found it to be a complete bullshit term (see my earlier posts on the topic), but I do find it ironic that when what I would consider a fairly empirical analysis of the term is conducted, it favors the exact opposite conclusion as it's been used by the conservatives who favor the term so much...

Comment

Working...