X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Louth
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re:: C++ and C# programmers

There's shit loads of resource on the net, and as Chris pointed out the MSDN is very useful. One of the best resources actually comes installed with Visual Studio.NET

Check ...\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\1033\C# Language Specification.doc

It coveres everything, has useful examples and gives comparisons with C++.

Paul
    soundcloud.com/paullouth
    https://www.facebook.com/waterwalklondon
    www.4four.org

Comment

• Neo
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Paul Louth
      This isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO, having to go completely OO can be very restrictive and feel somewhat pointless.
      Only if you do it wrong
      I agree with you Paul. That is a bunch of bunk that Java makes it more restrictive because of it's "objectiveness". If you break your program down into the objects you are supposed to have. You'll find your program much easier to maintain. I think you need to learn object oriented techniques unrelated to any programming language. This will allow you to focus on the concepts and not the syntax and how these are implemented based on a particular language. Read up on subclassing, inheritence, interfaces, etc and get a strong understanding of these before saying that Java is restrictive. I'm fairly new to Java but one thing I do know is this puppy is definately not restrictive. I think it's that you are just most comfortable with C++. If anything Java will make you a better programmer. :wink:

Chris & Paul. Do you guys also do programming for a living?

Comment

• Paul Louth
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Only for 10 years or so
        soundcloud.com/paullouth
        www.4four.org

Comment

• superEGO72
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

Only for 10 years or so
          so .. paul .. not only are you a working dj (a job i want) but you are also a software engineer (a job i want).

screw the economy and screw you

Comment

• NastyD
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

Thanks for the tips and links guys
            An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance.

Comment

• ultramdma
              Fresh Peossy
              • Jun 2004

major geekness

Comment

• nightfly
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

This isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO, having to go completely OO can be very restrictive and feel somewhat pointless.
                Only if you do it wrong
                Maybe. I think perhaps a case of different viewpoints though..

Either way, I'm happy using C++ the way I do at the moment, even if it's frowned upon by some

Comment

• Chris Micali
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Neo
                  For a living and for fun, although its been a year or two since i've done any personal development. I'm actually on a C# project right now.

Comment

• Chris Micali
                    Fresh Peossy
                    • Jun 2004

Oh finally I found it again, this article is really, really good

I think that's about as complete as it gets

Comment

• Neo
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Chris Micali
                      Originally posted by Neo
                      For a living and for fun, although its been a year or two since i've done any personal development. I'm actually on a C# project right now.
                      Awesome. That's how your productions are so good. Technically minded.

I want to pick up C# after I get a Java cert. There's so much you can do with Java. I'm on a J2EE project right now. My first taste of Java and I'm doing servlets & jsp's.

Comment

• nasserd
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Neo
                        Originally posted by Chris Micali
                        Originally posted by Neo
                        Awesome. That's how your productions are so good. Technically minded.

I want to pick up C# after I get a Java cert. There's so much you can do with Java. I'm on a J2EE project right now. My first taste of Java and I'm doing servlets & jsp's.

Sorry, I gotta laugh. Java is mostly theory, man. Even after 10 years, it is still mostly theory. I have yet to see the fully OO and fully functional Java-based OS they raved about 10 years ago as its truest potential. Most J2EE projects started in 98-2001 ended unsuccessfully (somewhere about 80%) according to stats gathered in 2003-early 2004.

As you will soon discover, .NET is truly pushing the envelope of both GUI-based and data-driven applications in every tier (w/o having to learn different toolkits for each core functionality). With .NET 2.0 around the bend, it is truly amazing.

I have been programming for 9 years, and have got my hands on all the shit MS put out this week (the Express line of tools, as well as VS.NET 2005 Beta 1). IN due time, I'm gonna migrate from pre-.NET to .NET 2.0. This whole .NET 1.0/1.1 is really a joke. It's nothing but an intro, not the good stuff.

If I'm wrong, at least I'll die rich

Comment

• Paul Louth
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by superEGO72
                          Only for 10 years or so
                          so .. paul .. not only are you a working dj (a job i want) but you are also a software engineer (a job i want).

screw the economy and screw you
                          So you'll probably hate it even more when I tell you the software-development I do is writing games for PS2/XBox/Gamecube
                          soundcloud.com/paullouth
                          www.4four.org

Comment

• arno999
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Jun 2004

c# dont allow multiple Inheritance :cry:

Comment

• Paul Louth
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

You don't need multiple inheritance. Flattening out hierarchies is a good thing, and allows you to move modules around later without huge dependencies. Loosely coupling classes using interfaces and messaging is better than using multiple inheritance imo.

Paul
                              soundcloud.com/paullouth
                              www.4four.org

Comment

• Neo
                                Gold Gabber
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by nasserd
                                Sorry, I gotta laugh. Java is mostly theory, man. Even after 10 years, it is still mostly theory. I have yet to see the fully OO and fully functional Java-based OS they raved about 10 years ago as its truest potential. Most J2EE projects started in 98-2001 ended unsuccessfully (somewhere about 80%) according to stats gathered in 2003-early 2004.

As you will soon discover, .NET is truly pushing the envelope of both GUI-based and data-driven applications in every tier (w/o having to learn different toolkits for each core functionality). With .NET 2.0 around the bend, it is truly amazing.
                                You sound like Microsoft's little marketing boy. You're definately a pro-Microsoft programmer which I was as well until I started learning about Java so I won't argue with you but Java does have it's place. As far as projects being unsuccessful, that's probably true with ALL software projects. Many are over budget, take too much time and get canceled. It's the nature of the business it has nothing to due with the technology really. The thing about microsoft is all there products are so integrated so RAD is possible. People are more impressed with getting something completed in the shortest time. As the open-source movement grows I see Java and/or C# becoming even more popular. Why else do you think Microsoft made C#?

Comment

Working...