• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

Avalon NYC

from today's NYPost

July 14, 2005 -- THE nightclub formerly known as Limelight is once again shutting its doors. The deconsecrated Episcopalian church on West 20th Street, most recently known as Avalon, will close July 24. Co-owner John Blair is jumping ship to rival megaclub Spirit, while his partners Steve Adelman and John Lyons plan to re-open the space as a concert venue in the fall. Limelight hosted some of clubland's greatest excesses in the go-go '80s and early '90s under eye-patched club king Peter Gatien. The unholy haunt was closed from 1994-'96 and was shuttered again in 2002. It re-opened in November of that year as short-lived Estate, then re-opened as Avalon three months later.
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Avalon NYC

im not sad about this, but i fear the spread of the guido crowd into places like sullivan, crobar and shelter.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• thezzapper
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

good riddance to the worst sound system in a club in nyc...
      sigpic

Comment

• jarble187
        vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
        • Sep 2004

In some ways its kinda sad...its a legendary space and venue. I remember hearing about the limelight years and years ago when I lived in Kansas. Sure, there were some degrading issues reguarding the Avalon, but my favorite thing about the place was the location of the booth and how it gave viewers and fans a chance to participate with the Dj. Thats why I hate going to the Crobar, and it really makes me miss places like the Roxy in Prague. I saw Cass and Slide, Sean Cusik, and Jimmy Van M at the Roxy at seperate times and each time I got to hang out in the both while these Dj's laid done the most wicked sets. The Avalon made me reminisce of those times because you could overlook the decks and watch every move. I cuaght Bad Boy Bill there a few months back at his monthly residency and watched him play his set. The guy was a fucking mad man with crazy mixing skills. My jaw dropped several times that night because of what I was watching and hearing. My point is that I felt more connected with the Dj at the Avalon that anywhere else in NYC and its sad to see it go.
        Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• rubyraks
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

I'll forever remember partying it up in that space when it was limelight in those "decadent" days of the late 80s and 90s. What a crazy ass party they had and so much fun!

When it reopened as Avalon, they had some great nights there, but the crowd was never right and the quality of djs has slowly gone downhill. Hopefully it's latest reincarnation will be better and damn right they need to work on that soundsystem. Hands down the worst in all of NYC clubland...how it was tolerated for as long as it has is beyond me.
          "Work like you don't need the money.
          Love like you've never been hurt.
          Dance like nobody's watching.
          Sing like nobody's listening.
          Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• thesightless
            • Jun 2004

ben, it was tolerated because it, aloing with exit, were the capitol of the posh, prada wearing, fade-up haircut, armani pants, steriod loving, fake ass punk crowd.

god i hate those people, they think the scribbles remix of "i'll stand by you"" is the pinnacle of underground dance music. most of them never even heard of sasha or digweed.

they are the kind of people where if they saw a gay guy kissing another man, they would abandon the fun they were having and stalk the guy until he left then they would all get pumped for "gay bashing time"//

see the ""my striped shirt" thread.

Comment

• jarble187
              vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
              ben, it was tolerated because it, aloing with exit, were the capitol of the posh, prada wearing, fade-up haircut, armani pants, steriod loving, fake ass punk crowd.

god i hate those people, they think the scribbles remix of "i'll stand by you"" is the pinnacle of underground dance music. most of them never even heard of sasha or digweed.
              But thats the way I feel about the Crobar. Of the five times Ive been there, Ive never met any of the Mercury Crew and generally dont want to talk to the majority of the people there because of the above mentioned. The crowd is way to fake and half of them dont even know they are listening to sasha or digweed even if they are right in front of their face. I havent had the chance to go to Cielo or Spirit, so I cant comment on the crowds there, but for the most part, IMO, NYC's club scene, and maybe this is the general for the club scene in the last few years, is fake. Its like Miami, all the pretty and glam South Beach people just kill the vibe for me. I miss the undeground parties where people could dance and it was about the music. Things havent been like that for years. Im not trying to talk any shit or piss anyone off, Im just not sure about the modern club scene.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Comment

• thesightless
                • Jun 2004

well jarble, you are missing a lot. let us downstaters know when you are coming around and we'll introduce oursleves. there are a lot of us.

ben,poto,carmen,dvs,myself,disco,few others.

Comment

• jarble187
                  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                  • Sep 2004

Right on Sightless, Ill take you up on that, Ive been wanting to meet you all. I wanted to go to Mikes get together last month but was in the city the weekend before and couldnt make it back down. What was NYC like years back when Djs like Frankie Bones were playing warehouse parties? Did you make it to anything like that? Im just not familiar with what has happened to the scene over the years other than it losing good venues like Twilo and the Arc? Im sure, like everywhere else, the X explosion in the late 90's made for a lot of underground party busts which pushed the scene into clubs. Its something all of us long term prog listeners have had to deal with.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Comment

• thesightless
                    • Jun 2004

i lost my favor of teneglia when i realized how big of an asshole he really is. its a principle thing.

you obviously knwo what twilo meant to ppl everywhere, as we still cry about it.

but crobar is slowly gaining that vibe back with the ever improving DJ bookings. thier resident isnt my cup o tea, but you have to love it when sasha and sander are your monthly imports. digweed once or twice a year is great too. the vibe there at 4 am is something else.

Comment

• Kobe
                      I wish I had an interesting User title
                      • Jun 2004

Imagine what would happen if they closed Webster Hall!
                      Beats are my crack.

Comment

• GerryD
                        I love skanking
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kobe
                        Imagine what would happen if they closed Webster Hall!
                        God is that place still open
                        "We're professional entertainers. You give us money, we entertain you.

Comment

• thesightless
                          • Jun 2004

i wouldnt mind.

i much prefer the people who push the forefront of music. those have a more musical sense of music. webster has no one who fits there.

also, i tend to like the smaller joints a lot more. palces where you can be over dressed in jeans and tee. shelter/sullivan.

Comment

• Kobe
                            I wish I had an interesting User title
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                            i wouldnt mind.

i much prefer the people who push the forefront of music. those have a more musical sense of music. webster has no one who fits there.

also, i tend to like the smaller joints a lot more. palces where you can be over dressed in jeans and tee. shelter/sullivan.
                            My point is imagine the guido overflow to all the other clubs if they closed Webster.
                            Beats are my crack.

Comment

• remoh
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

i guess i can say i was fortunate enough to party at limelight a few times in the begining of the nintees. .. R.I.P. again :cry:

i have some friends that live in NYC that say its imposible to go out nowadays because of all the guido meatheads..
                              [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
                              |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

Working...