Is it me or this becoming a US politics forum?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • devon
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Is it me or this becoming a US politics forum?

Originally posted by Civic_Zen
    Originally posted by redrum-er
    Your political infrastructure.....is an emulation of democracy.Which is something that most countries had b4 the existance of the US.

And last...
    You just proved u don't know shit about the rest of the world.
    Oh really. What country had a democracy before the existance of the US? Ya, I wonder which of us it is that has no idea what their talking about.

And how many countries have you been to outside of Europe exactly? Go ahead and list all the countries you've visited, since that seems to be the basis of understanding a "country" and their culture on this board. Have you ever been to the US?
    Have you ever been out of bible belt America?
    i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• Civic_Zen
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by devon
      Originally posted by Civic_Zen
      Originally posted by redrum-er
      Your political infrastructure.....is an emulation of democracy.Which is something that most countries had b4 the existance of the US.

And last...
      You just proved u don't know shit about the rest of the world.
      Oh really. What country had a democracy before the existance of the US? Ya, I wonder which of us it is that has no idea what their talking about.

And how many countries have you been to outside of Europe exactly? Go ahead and list all the countries you've visited, since that seems to be the basis of understanding a "country" and their culture on this board. Have you ever been to the US?
      Have you ever been out of bible belt America?
      I've never even been to any of the bible belt states, except Texas. And I sure has hell don't live in any of them. So what is your point exactly?? Or were you just making an assumption, AGAIN, that I live in a bible belt state?
      "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
      "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
      - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Cool down guys. This is a political discussion, so try to use a little more 'diplomacy' when venting your opinions.

Imagine what would happen if our governments would settle their disputes like this. War all over the place.

Make not

Democracy did not come into life exclusively in the US of A. It has developed in time (about 700 years looking at recent history, but actually longer) across mostly Europe. When Europeans spread out over the African and American continents, so did their ideas. The process got sped up by the war on independence. Europe followed after that. But don't treat democracy as an idea coming exclusively from the 'Americans', because that would imply that the USA has no history before colonization.
        That is in Africa called the 'Trevor-Roper' trap. He was an anthropologist who wrote about Africa, but denied the fact that Africa has a history before colonization. Look it up.

Greetingz my fellow Earth-inhabitants.
        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• delirious
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
          Cool down guys. This is a political discussion, so try to use a little more 'diplomacy' when venting your opinions.

Imagine what would happen if our governments would settle their disputes like this. War all over the place.
          I love watching some people rant and rave endlessly while making their "points". People talking about how civilised they are, then resorting to petty name-calling. They, themselves, are the best argument in showing how their beliefs are closed-minded and tension-causing.

If a donkey bray at you, don't bray at him.
          - George Herbert

Comment

• Yao
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

word
            Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• acmatos
              Getting warmed up
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by brakada
              Well, talking about the best is very hard. You definitely have the best (Strongest) military, you have one of the best / strongest economies, but still everything is still not the best in America (according to an article link posted on MS by mylexicon, Americans are one of the worst workers on the planet :wink: ). I personally think Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Norway, Finland) are "better" than the USA and should be the raw-model for the rest of the world. But as I said in the beginning, it is hard to argue what is best, because nothing is perfect, and to each of us some things are more important than others, so it's actually a matter of opinion and not a fact.
              I agree that it is hard to argue what is best. However, Europeans(I'm generalizing for the sake of simplicity) have throughout history decided what is best for everyone. Which is, in fact, one of the main reasons why the Middle East and Africa are such a mess. Europe sliced up these regions as they saw fit, neglecting any ethnic or tribal areas. We have a bunch of people who hate each other living where they might otherwise not be. Result: neverending violence towards each other. Think about how many lives and how much money it has cost the world(primarily US, as usual) to go in and try to temporarily stop these people from killing eachother. The US has liberated almost a billion people in its short history. There is no other nation in the world that even comes close.

With that said though, statistically Europeans are much more involved in politics than Americans. Most countries have high voting numbers(compared to the 40% that vote here). Nonetheless, there is no question that US poitics is shaping the world. Actually it is the US economy which IS without a doubt the strongest and most stable economy in the world(there are probably very small economies that might be more stable but not comparable to US).

Furthermore, Norway and Sweden are monarchies. Finland has a parliamentary system with a president; they can't be lumped together. If they like it, they should be able to live that way. No one should argue that Swedes need to change their political system(who really cares, no offense). The important thing to remember is what are countries like Sweden, Norway, and Finland offering the rest of the world? They may be nice, clean places to live, which is great. However, they have a combined population of 20 million people, which is less than a tenth of the US population, yet none of them have a per capita GDP as high as the US. The US is the driving force for innovation and improvement on the planet. There is no question about that. If people like it better somewhere else, that's fine. But that's no reason to ignore the merits and accomplishments of the US.

sorry, way more than 100 words
              Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

Comment

• Balanc3
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

ehh... itsw a U.S. election year what more can I say?
                JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

Working...