X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MusicJatt
    Platinum Poster
    • Aug 2004

Brown takes job less than 10 days after leaving Pistons

NEW YORK -- Larry Brown is employed again, and the New York Knicks might just become a team to watch after nearly a half-decade of malaise and mediocrity.

Brown's "dream job" became a reality Thursday when the Knicks introduced him as the 22nd coach in franchise history.

"When I was announced as the Olympics coach, I thought that was the single greatest honor I could ever have, but I think standing here in Madison Square Garden with Isiah and my family here, this tops it all," Brown said.

Not since Pat Riley took over the team in 1991 has there been such a summertime buzz surrounding the Knicks to match what's been transpiring lately.

"Welcome Back Larry!" flashed the marquee in front of the Garden.

Less than 10 days after his divorce from the Detroit Pistons, Brown has made the Knicks relevant in the local sports scene again, and the fans who have watched the franchise stumble and slump into insignificance finally have something to give them some promise.

"We are extremely lucky and very fortunate to have a man grace our sidelines such as Larry Brown," team president Isiah Thomas said.

Sure, the Knicks' roster is sub-par compared to the top echelon of teams in the NBA's Eastern Conference. But with Brown's proven track record of turning losers into winners, those feelings of hope have some legitimacy behind them.

"I can't promise wins and losses, but I promise every single day, as a staff, we'll do our very best to make people proud of our franchise and our players and the way we play," Brown said.

The Knicks were Brown's favorite team when he was growing up in Brooklyn, and the eighth stop on his NBA coaching carousel will truly be a "dream job" -- just what Brown called it earlier this year.

He'll join a long list of distinguished coaches -- including Joe Lapchick, Red Holzman, Riley and Lenny Wilkens -- who have guided one of the NBA's charter franchises.

In 22 seasons as a professional coach, Brown has compiled a 987-741 record. The title he won with the Pistons in 2004 was his only NBA championship.
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Brown takes job less than 10 days after leaving Pistons

i kinda feel bad for brown in the sense he is viewed as a vagabond and a turncoat.

he is a brilliant coach though
    \
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• contain
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

Brown is a bum. I can't respect anyone who doesn't honor a contract that they sign with a team. He didn't go back to the Pistons because of health concerns, but a week or so later he signs a long term contract with another team. Was he magically cured of any health concerns? What an ass!!

(The same goes for Carter, McGrady, etc.)

Comment

• BarneyIllfingas
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

yes, brown likes to be on the move, but i don't think the pistons were into keeping brown and davidson made the decision to bail on him with saunders available. i don't think we have the whole story here.

being a long term knicks / raptors fan, this is one of a few somewhat decent decisions that ass isiah thomas has ever made as an executive. though it really is a no-brainer when you have that much money to spend on a coach.

for as good of a player that isiah was, on a team that may have been more cohesive than any other champions in history, he has no idea about team chemistry. obtaining the best player available works in the draft, not in the development of a team as a whole. it'll be another interesting but probably dismal year watch starbury, crawford and richardson fight for the ball with few to rebound their many misses.

if browns health was deteriating before this year i can only image what shape he'll be in after this upcoming season.
        WHAT'S GOING DOWN
        IN OUR UNDERGROUND
        bringthebeats

Comment

• 3d_1200
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

pistons didn't want brown back. the owner (davidson) made a comment to something along the lines of - we won't give the fans someone who is not a good person. davidson is one of the lowest profile owners in sports. he also won a nba championship, a wnba champsionship, and the stanley cup almost consecutively. but im sure most people have never heard of him. the fact that he came out and said anything at all is a true indicator that it was the pistons, not brown who closed the deal. i do think brown is a good coach, but he's kind of a slut dont you think?
          http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24706

Comment

• horsack
            Getting Somewhere
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by 3d_1200
            i do think brown is a good coach, but he's kind of a slut dont you think?
            haha.
            brother man gonna break a window
            gonna steal a hubcap
            gonna smoke a joint
            brother man gonna go to jail
            the man who tried to steal america ... is not in jail
            we beg your pardon america

Comment

Working...