• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neoee
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

To those who say it'll never happen

'Health Chips' Could Help Patients in US

Jul. 31--President Bush's former health secretary Tommy Thompson is putting the final touches to a plan that could result in US citizens having a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip inserted under their skin, The Business has learned.

The RFID capsules would be linked to a computerised database being created by the US Department of Health to store and manage the nation's health records. It could be the precursor to a similar scheme in the UK.

The president's budget for 2006 continues to support the use of health information technology by increasing funding to $125m (�70m, E103m) for pilot schemes.

Thompson, now a director of Applied Digital Solutions, the company that makes the chips, intends to publish the proposal in the next 50 days, by which time he plans to have had a VeriChip inserted in his arm. Thompson believes the capsules could help save thousands of lives every year.

VeriChip spokesman John Procter says around 98,000 people die needlessly in the US every year after being given inappropriate treatment because their medical history was not available.

"There is a vast range of people who could benefit from having an RFID chip inserted under their skin as insurance against an accident. People with adverse reactions to certain medicines such as penicillin, people with pacemakers, people with allergies, people with weak hearts, would be made safer by a process that costs around $200 per person. In fact, virtually everyone could benefit from having a chip inserted."

The company intends to lobby the UK health authorities to inject the chips into British patients.

According to Procter, the chips can also be used for financial transactions. In Europe, the Baja Beach Club chain has introduced chipping in the Netherlands and Spain.

The VeriChip is inserted at the club and means club-goers will no longer have to wait in line to pay to get in and will be able to use the chip to pay their bar bill.

Civil liberties groups such as Caspian in the US fear that the need for increased security in the wake of terrorist attacks could act as a catalyst for a more widespread use of VeriChips.
    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

Re: To those who say it'll never happen

this will never happen. ever

they cannot do harm to you. (i.e. sugery)

NO ONE, not even the hardest neo conservatice would agree.
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

And I'll start biting anyone that tries to.
        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• thesightless
          • Jun 2004

they cant even allow convicted rapists to be forced to wear the ankle collar, do we honestly think they will force people have chips put into their bodies?

Comment

• picklemonkey
            Double hoodie beer monster
            • Jun 2004

I'd do it.

it's the size of a grain of rice, and will only contain a number (likely your SSN) that links to the master RFID database. battery-less, and only transmits when a certain frequency passes through it.

potential benefits:
            • health information storage
            • cash-less payments at stores. swipe your wrist at a register
            • drivers license information storage
            • identify missing/found children
            • cops will be able to detect wanted criminals from a car-length away
            • criminal investigation/evidence (Joe and Steve were the only people in the building when Steve was shot)

etc.

I have nothing to hide all the anti-chip people don't want to be tracked everywhere they go... but the government won't be tracking you unless you were a wanted criminal. fuck 'em. let them track me... they already force me to pay taxes, obey traffic laws, regulate my substance consumption, and tell me what I can or can't buy. them having a passive ability to look up the fact that I walked into WalMart at 7:28pm is little compared to all the active restrictions placed upon me.

Comment

• thesightless
              • Jun 2004

can it detect drug lvls?

Comment

• skahound
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
                (Joe and Steve were the only people in the building when Steve was shot)
                If I've told you once, I've told you a million times. Jibby shot himself, I had nothing to do with it.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                  can it detect drug lvls?
                  huh? is that a serious question?

Comment

• thesightless
                    • Jun 2004

yeah, my expertise is tax law and accounting, not technology or medicine. would suck if they figured out a way to tell if you were smoking weed or drinking and driving. you go out to enjoy a nice smoke and relax then a swat team drops by.

i really dont know, so i ask

Comment

• picklemonkey
                      • Jun 2004

k. it wouldn't detect any of that stuff (at least not the current RFID models today... maybe in 50 years?)

there's no battery, no real circuitry involved... basically, a low-strength radio frequency hits it (which likely can't scan farther than 25 feet away), which makes it oscillate back your number (RFID serial number? social security number?) which can then be used to query a database. anyone with a rfid scanner could create their own database, because each chip would hold nothing but an account number.

examples:
                      • the state/government might have it linked to your drivers license info, criminal history, health records, etc.
                      • airlines might have their own database to link your number to your frequent flyer account, so when you step onto a flight your frequent flyer miles are credited and flight attendance is taken.
                      • stores could have a scanner at their doors how many times you walk through in/out of their store
                      • banks could link it to their database which contains your checking/credit accounts so you can just "swipe" your hand instead of any physical cards...
                      • maybe parents can install a scanner in their house to track how often a teen sneaks out of the house after midnight

every one of those would be stored in their own proprietary database, but all based off of the same serial number that you can never lose (unless you have some freak accident and lose an arm?). it won't detect anything in your body... all it does is provide a unique ID when requested, so the scanning software can query/update their own database accordingly. all of these ideas definitely won't be linked to the same database, so there's no real worry about your local grocery store being able to pull money from your bank account or pull up your criminal records... it's all in completely different databases. It'd be similar to how it is now, where the store has a credit card scanner which dials up to the bank and requests the specific info; it'd all be regulated.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                        • Jun 2004

I just resized that image for scale... hold a penny up to the penny in the pic and you'll see it's a 1:1 scale. the rfid tags would be the actual size shown in the picture... about as big as a grain of rice

Comment

• thesightless
                          • Jun 2004

for someone like me, that thing is dangerous. i need cash to know where i stand at 4 am at a bar. if i dont see the money i will spend beyond what i should, too many 180 dollar bar tabs in my time.

Comment

• toasty
                            Sir Toastiness
                            • Jun 2004

examples:
                            • the state/government might have it linked to your drivers license info, criminal history, health records, etc.
                            • airlines might have their own database to link your number to your frequent flyer account, so when you step onto a flight your frequent flyer miles are credited and flight attendance is taken.
                            • stores could have a scanner at their doors how many times you walk through in/out of their store
                            • banks could link it to their database which contains your checking/credit accounts so you can just "swipe" your hand instead of any physical cards...
                            • maybe parents can install a scanner in their house to track how often a teen sneaks out of the house after midnight
                            That all sounds pretty cool, but as cool as that all sounds, it just kinda creeps me out to think that there is a way to track where I am, what I'm doing, etc. I don't even have a Blackberry b/c I like having times and places that are totally mine, unreachable to the world -- this just sounds too big brother, even if it's actual use is innocuous or even helpful.

Comment

• skahound
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • Jun 2004

I just resized that image for scale... hold a penny up to the penny in the pic and you'll see it's a 1:1 scale.
                              On what resolution? It's not 1:1 on my screen.

Comment

Working...