X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

What is the point of an MC?

So I'm listening to this new Burridge set and it's practically destroyed because of some jackass screaming and giving shout-outs over the microphone. For some reason it seems to be mainly sets from Italy that include what sounds like the same guy trying to 'sing' (and I use that term very loosely) the lyrics of the tracks and carrying on about where they are, etc. The worst one I've heard recently was from a James Holden set from France (I think). The guy was screaming over the track "Can you feel it? Can you feel it?..." and must've repeated it 800 times. IMO it completely destroys the night. I've been to events where they have an MC and I can tell you that they've never brought me any additional excitement.

Are they really necessary? Do any of you that play out ever have to put up with an MC? If so, did you know beforehand? Is there anything you can do or have done during your set to put a stop to their constant buffoonery?
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

Re: What is the point of an MC?

I love MCs, but also in Drum & Bass only. There are two that are very common, and very fucking good. Ska, I feel you in some regards. It's like Metro voiceovers ... at the wrong time and way too much.

rub one off. you will feel better.
    dead, yet alive.

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

not a fan of the MC either.

me no like. they make you lose the groove.
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• skahound
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • Jun 2004

Amen to that. And this one is grossly over-modulated and seems to only come in during breakdowns. Oh wait, it was Sergio's birthday this particular night. "Happy bird-day Sergiooooooooo."

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
          Anyone have Styx livesets?
          • Jun 2004

they are only there to piss off people who download profuse amounts of live dj sets.
          ie most of MS.

There was an amazing MV set from a couple of years ago- from somewhere in Israel - and it had some MC shouting all over it! Immensely annoying.
          ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• skahound
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Jun 2004

I'm really curious to find out if there's anyone that enjoys an MC during non-DnB sets.

Comment

• daveman
              I love the colors!!!
              • Jul 2005

outside the D&B world and beauty pagents the MC is pointless. if you need to pump up the crowd say it with a quick mix of da vinyl. something like the first minute of any Bad Boy Bill or Humpty Vision set or cd.
              once upon a time, machines were mice, and men were lions. now that its the opposite, it's twice upon a time

Comment

• bart_smastard
                Gold Gabber
                • May 2005

mc = monotonous cunts .. nuff said

Comment

• lmmadic
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

ugh hate them aswell. it's not very common in belgium to have MC's thank god but it happened a few times, totally kills my groove.
                  Same on downloaded sets totally anoying.
                  I too would like someone to tell me what they like about MC's i haven't found a single person that liked them yet, i wouldn't mind to here a promoter that programs the MC's along with DJ's and like to hear a reason why
                  sigpic

Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army. Edward Everett

Comment

• clintlove
                    Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                    • Jun 2004

I think Conrad ruins LTJ's set's. No matter what he says, it sounds like what he just said, over and over again.

Budda bye bye bye! Right near the beach, boi!

garbage.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• picklemonkey
                      Double hoodie beer monster
                      • Jun 2004

I don't even like them in D&B/techno sets... they just plain ruin the music. I'd rather listen to James Lavelle play The Reign over a D&B set 800 times.

Comment

• qwerty2222
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

not all the mc at clubs are good.
                        i understand the job af a mc, but somethimes, he gets drunk and, starts yelling and screaming nonsense things and it's really disagreeable
                        I like pete tong doing the mc job on some livesets

Comment

• toasty
                          Sir Toastiness
                          • Jun 2004

I can't fucking stand them -- they ruin the vibe. The worst, although I haven't really seen it be this bad in the EDM world, is when you find yourself at a bar, normally some lame ass mainstream dance club that you're only at because you're on the way to or from a sporting event of some sort, with some jackassed MC running around with a wireless mike saying shit like:

"Party people say yeaaaaaaaahhhh!"

or

"Gimme a hell yeaaaaaahhhh!!!!"

I've been having fun for many years now in a variety of different settings, from bars and parties to casual conversation, and everything in between. I've pretty much got it wired. I don't need some idiot yelling into a microphone to shepherd me through the process.

Comment

• fletcher
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jul 2005

The master of ceremonies can certainly add an extra dimension to a set, depends on the music and whether or not the crowd need the encouragement

MCs usually do the trick with drum and bass - they can certainly add so much energy to a live set. IC3 and Dynamite are my favourite MCs
                            http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• picklemonkey
                              Double hoodie beer monster
                              • Jun 2004

I don't think it goes good with Drum & Bass... I think everyone's just gotten used to them being hand-in-hand that it's just become accepted

Comment

Working...