X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

New Coltrane in October

Oct. 11 will be a thrilling day for John Coltrane lover?s when Impulse! releases the two-CD set One Down, One Up: Live at The Half Note. The legendary documentation of Coltrane and his classic quartet was recorded in March and May of 1965, and for the first time is being released after being discovered in the Coltrane family closet.

The recordings feature McCoy Tyner on piano, Jimmy Garrison on bass and Elvin Jones on drums. This group, along with Coltrane, played regularly at the New York?s Half Note through the mid-1960s. The quartet used the club?s flexible set times to accommodate Coltrane?s musical suites and far-reaching improvisations. During that time in Coltrane?s career he was known to push his musical boundaries and the evolution of his style is reflected on these recordings.

One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note features the songs ?One Down, One Up," "Afro Blue," "Song of Praise" and "My Favorite Things," plus liner notes by Ashley Kahn. The album also includes an essay by the CD?s producer, Coltrane?s son Ravi.

• thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: New Coltrane in October

awesome. something to put on in the office and chill to.

i love jazz and blues. cant get enough.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• rewing3
      I really don't care
      • Jun 2004

Tiddles, I never knew you listend to blues and jazz. There is a lot of great blues musicians. Who is your favorite blues singer?
      Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• mixu
        Travel Guru Extraordinaire
        • Jun 2004

John Coltrane
        Ask me a question...

Comment

• Fun Boy(eat me)
          Fresh Peossy
          • Jun 2005

i have de doo boop compilation...pfffff...this guy have some quality shit going on
          cuack!

Comment

• thesightless
            • Jun 2004

tiddles, check out the delbert mcclinton album coming out. its a bit country, but very much blues based. the lyrics are great and music is soo chill.

Comment

• tiddles
              Encryption, Jr.
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
              tiddles, check out the delbert mcclinton album coming out. its a bit country, but very much blues based. the lyrics are great and music is soo chill.
              \
              cool, i'll check it out

Comment

• simonr
                Transitionator
                • Jun 2004

Thanks Tid's ... may check this out - however I'm a bigger fan of the studio recordings (the Complete Atlantiac and Complete Impulse Quartet sets are simply awesome).

You may be interested to know that Mosiac Records and Blue Note have unearthed a Coltrane gem. These guys make THE best jazz box sets and the releases are true collectors items:

October/November

The Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall ( MQ1-231 Mosaic (200-gram)HQ-LP $30.00)

Larry Appelbaum at the Library of Congress discovered a heretofore unknown November 1957 Carnegie Hall concert taped by Voice Of America radio. What makes this news earth-shattering is the existence of two 25-minute sets by the legendary Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane. And the music more than delivers on its promise. Pianistically, Monk will shock you and Coltrane is focused and impassioned throughout and the sound is excellent. For only the 2nd time in its history The Library of Congress allowed the master tape to be taken from its premises. The original tape was brought to New York to Master Cutting Room and mastered by Kevin Hodge and will be pressed at RTI where Classic Records has allowed us to use their exclusive 200-gram press. CD will be issued by Blue Note for $17.98.
                sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• thesightless
                  • Jun 2004

HOLY SHIT

i almost forgot.

did you know.... les paul still jams out in NYC at a dinner/bar joint? its amazing. i went with my electronic music teacher one night.(herbert duetsch, aka moog's partner in creating the synth). he still jams out and rips it up, although, he cant play like he used to, so a sit in musician usually handles the herd stuff. something to check out before he dies.

Comment

• tiddles
                    Encryption, Jr.
                    • Jun 2004

Mosaic puts out soo much good music, i just wish they wouldn't do limited #s of their sets. i'm excited for that one too, monk is one of my favs.

i've heard about les paul's gig, but i've never been down to see him. i'd love to go, i hear he is real easy to approach and likes talking to people after the show.
                    you know the mooger fooger guys? too cool

Comment

• thesightless
                      • Jun 2004

Moog keyboards, AKA the first syth created, and mini moog.

there actually is a documentary out there from last year on the creation and development of the syth and they go into the technology of the originals

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                        Not cool enough
                        • Jun 2004

FAT TUESDAYS is the place Les Paul still Jams at.

With Coltrane, I have a video of him from TV somewhere, I think you can buy the video from amazon.com but it has my FAVORITE version of my favorite things. It sounds so fluid. So perfect. So Beautiful.
                        Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                        My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                        My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...