X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Brad Copeland, Thomas Penton, MastikSoul, Deep Dish

Remember, quality feedback will continue to provide quality sets!

You guys and gals are definitely getting spoiled with all the great music! This week things stay hot with 3 more slamming specials. We also have the first of our MercuryNation 3rd birthday mixes.

Gregor [BarneyIllfingas] (www.bringthebeats.com) continues his supply of storming sets by passing along a summer promo mix by none other than Brad Copeland (www.bradcopeland.ca). Talk about the perfect summer mix! As I described to G, just put this on repeat, throw some brats and burgers on the grill, and crack open a Stella. Then just sit back, relax, and piss your neighbors off because this one will be playing for a while. The mix comes just in time to celebrate Brad's appearance in Ibiza on August 22. He will be spinning at Penelope during the 'Dirty' night. If you're in the area you will definitely want to check that out. PM BarneyIllfingas for more information.

A couple of months ago I contacted Thomas Penton (www.thomaspenton.com) about MercuryNation's upcoming 3 year anniversary and asked if he'd be willing to put together a mix to help us celebrate. Well, holding true to his outstanding repuation he threw down an hour and a half of non-stop peak time fire. I can't thank him enough for keeping us in mind and for being a true friend of [mn]. If you guys haven't checked out his track 'Voodoo Magik' I urge you to head over to his website and listen to the sample (it's also included on the mix). It's slated to be part of his upcoming mix CD collaboration with DJ19. Expect a tour to follow.

I'm also a huge fan of livesets/mixes and got my hands on a promo mix from 4Kenzo label head MastikSoul (www.4kenzo.com). The very second I hit play on this one I knew it was going to be awesome. After listening to it the second time I contacted MastikSoul to inquire about whether we could host it here in order for the rest of you to have a chance to hear it. I got an immediate response giving me the go ahead and I couldn't have been more happy. The guy is definitely one of the hardest working people in the business and knows how to put together a top notch, move-your-ass mix.

As a very late addition we are providing you with an hour of Deep Dish recorded live at the new Terrace at Space in Ibiza on Saturday night. Enjoy!

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Brad Copeland www.bradcopeland.ca
    At 25 years old, Brad Copeland is a rising star of the Canadian dance music scene. Already known across the country for his impeccable mixing, his tough and pumping sound, and his energy as a performer, Brad has shown his potential with a blend of talent, dedication, and commitment.

From humble beginnings playing to small crowds at Ottawa's Icon nightclub, Brad has grown through a hugely successful residency at the legendary Atomic to host his own night at The Well, which was consistently packed during its year-long run. Summer 2002 saw Brad playing Montreal's world-famous afterhours club Stereo. Brad was so well received he was invited back several times and then asked to take up a residency at the club's new progressive house friday night, "Stereolab." In late 2002 Brad decided to focus solely on Djing and Producing, and he gave up promoting the weekly clubnight and took up a monthly residency at Surface, Ottawa's current premiere afterhours club. Crowds at Surface are always receptive to Brad's unique sound - a diverse fusion of progressive and techno with traces of house- and this sound has caught on with audiences across Canada. Brad has played guest spots in clubs all over the country, from Halifax all the way to Victoria.

Brad's talent has been recognized not just by the dancefloors he's packed, but by internationally renowned members of the dance music community hes djed alongside. Brad has been chosen to dj with such luminaries as Sander Kleinenberg, Satoshi Tomiie, John Graham and Chris Fortier. He was also asked personally to join both Max Graham and Sandra Collins as the support act on their recent Canadian CD release tours. In February 2003, Brad was also invited to join the prestigious Balance Record Pool, thus cementing his place as one of North America's premiere progressive house djs.

Early 2003 saw a big change for Brad as he packed up his studio and moved to Montreal. Playing weekly on Stereo's famed world-class sound system and being exposed to the many incredibly talented artists that come through the club every week has had a hugely inspiring and positive influence on both his Djing and on his fledgling production career. Brad is also the talent buyer for Stereo's Friday progressive night which gives him the opportunity to bring some of his favorite artists and DJ's like Slacker and Grayarea and also helped secure Sander Kleinenberg as a bi-monthly resident. In the fall of 2003, Brad will once again join Sandra Collins on the road, not just in Canada but this time all across North America in support of her upcoming album, Perfecto Presents.

Taken by a musical passion that goes beyond mixing, Brad has shown promise in the production arena with several originals and a few bootleg remixes, all of which have been charted and played by national and international DJs. His bootleg of Suzanne Vega's "Tom Diner" is being played on radio shows like Ministry of Sound and XM radio and is being championed by the likes of Mike Truman and Chris Healings of Hybrid. He is working in the studio constantly to hone his skills, and is learning more with each passing month.

Thomas Penton www.thomaspenton.com
    This South Florida veteran has been DJing, producing, & releasing techno projects since 1992. Originaly, Thomas went on to start Inductive Recordings. Since then, Penton has made the sounds that have fueled the best in the world. Penton's productions have been played for years by Sasha, John Digweed, Dave Seaman, Paul Oakenfold, and many others. Today, he has released over 50 various projects on some of the industries highest respected dance labels, including Perfecto, Baroque, Release, Armada, Stereo Productions & more. For-more his many past & present productions are featured on numerous compilations from some of the industries largest selling dance labels, such as Euphoria, Gatecrasher, Bedrock, and Perfecto. While also receiving acclaim press from some of the industries biggest dance magazines and publications.

Currently, Thomas is scheduled to release an official Mix CD with Nervine Records. It will focus more on the harder edge of progressive to tribal. And will be touring throughout Europe this year to promote this release. Also Penton now host his online radio show, which is broadcasted on www.ETN.fm and features special guest on a bi-weekly basis. He has performed in numerious countries thoughout the world and all throughout the US and is currently available for DJ performances and remix productions.

MastikSoul www.4kenzo.com
    MastikSoul started his career in 92, in a time where his life was split between Portugal and France, and from where he watched the raise of a new musical culture, that in association with his strong African roots designed his talent in a unique form.

Being connected to techno music for a while, where he released his first twelve-inch and developed his dj and producer skills, came in the late 90?s with the desire of embracing other styles. House music became his main inspiration.

His vision and his style, both clearly reflect his origins, very percussive and tribal, and recently, with his musical productions, has been truly noticed and acclaimed by some of the biggest house name in the scene such as Tony Thomas, Tom Stephan, Grant Dell, Terry Francis, Nathan Coles, Layo, Circulation, Justin Drake from Peace Division, and also by the Uk?s main dance press like Mixmag, Jockey Slut and Dj Magazine. In the beginning of this century he builds a production studio in London, and materializes two important projects: 4Kenzo Recordings and Digital Distribution with dj Token Pace.

The dj work increases in this period and he plays in important clubs such as Rex (Paris), Ultimate Base (London), Gas (London), The Cross (London), Locomia (Albufeira), Decadance (Belgium) among others. In 2003 MastikSoul starts strong with 4Kenzo recordings and with a release on Difference records entitle ?South Tribal Ep.?, international recognition soon arrived. ?South Tribal Ep.? Was licensed to TV show in UK and was supported by many renown djs.

End of 2003, MastikSoul licenses a track entitle ?I believe?, to a compilation mixed by Eddie Richards for much acclaimed club Fabric in UK. Work increases and MastikSoul starts new label Moxi Records with is fellow tribal guru Tony Thomas. With support of djs like Carl Cox and Tennaglia to name a few, Moxi records becomes a world reference.

End of 2004 MastikSoul is a well-established producer on upcoming releases on labels like: Wiggle recordings (UK), Tribo recordings (Spain), Household recordings (US) and Eye4sound (UK). In 2005 MastikSoul starts 2 new labels, Yoda recordings with US master ADD aka Jay household and Hoshi recordings for Iberian market. MastikSoul as had been working 24 / 7 to keep up with the demand.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

This is our first week of not having the Kiss sets to share. If anyone out there has recorded them or has access to them, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Comment

• vibe
      Gold Gabber
      • Aug 2004

Re: Brad Copeland, Thomas Penton, MastikSoul, Deep Dish

MastikSoul is a great dj\producer, i advice everyone to check his set out!
      thanks for sharing with us such as great mixes

Comment

• LoUiS
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Thanks man!
        Don't take life too Seriously!!!

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

Many thanks to herre for the hookup on the Kiss sets. They are now uploaded and online.

Comment

• tallinn:express
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

I must say that MastikSoul provides a very enjoyable mix here with a nice selection of tracks, most of them on the quirky techy side of things, i like it!
            thanks for the sets guys!

Comment

• runningman
              Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
              • Jun 2004

grat set by Thomas Penton.. the whole thing from start to finish.. when is he coming to canada??

Comment

• Kinetic
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

MastikSoul rules!

One of the best Portuguese producers, believe it or not he?s not very well known in his own country, partly because of most people?s addiction to tribal house, which is most certainly not his style.

Really looking forward to this.
                "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• skahound
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kinetic
                  tribal house, which is most certainly not his style.
                  He actually has 2 labels that appeal to the Iberian market: Moxi (with Tony Thomas) & Hoshi.

Comment

• Lorn
                    Looking for a title!
                    • Sep 2004

Every time I hear Thomas Penton I like his stuff more...this one is no exception. Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Comment

• Kinetic
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                      tribal house, which is most certainly not his style.
                      He actually has 2 labels that appeal to the Iberian market: Moxi (with Tony Thomas) & Hoshi.
                      True, but I meant his own production style, I should have been more specific.

Actually, I read through his biog after you posted that answer and was somewhat surprised by so many tribal references in there. The DJ set?s from him that I?ve heard and specially his production work have very few tribal elements...he?s stuff always seems more on a tech-house tip

Or maybe I?m full of shit.

I have to download this.

Comment

• skahound
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • Jun 2004

Or maybe I?m full of shit.

I have to download this.
                        Haha, no, I know what you mean. Anyway, regardless, make sure you download this one. Like I said, this isn't a set that I requested from him or anything. I just downloaded it and listened and knew that it had to be shared with you guys.

Comment

• Kinetic
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

Just heard it...Screw descriptions and labels...

If I had to describe it though, I?d make sure the words "funk", "booty","shake" and "awesome" were in there!

Comment

• vibe
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Aug 2004

One of the best Portuguese producers, believe it or not he?s not very well known in his own country, partly because of most people?s addiction to tribal house, which is most certainly not his style.
                            Amen, thank god that im not alone in this walk for trying to get out of the usual stuff played in our clubs, sure that im a good listener for some tribal stuff, mainly progtribal but i do think that our clubbers just tend to listen the same thing repeatly, they're so stucked in their tribal religion.
                            MastikSoul didnt get his deserved recognision in portugal just because people dont get that music has a large variety and we have to open our ears to listen to some new works. Hes doing marvellous stuff out there, he has some tribal tracks along side tony thomas for example, but its not that raw tribal, it has more influences and it sounds tasty.
                            The set provided here is a good listening, i truely enjoyed myself listening to it.
                            Again.. thank u guys

Comment

• mastiksoul
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Aug 2005

Hi to all,

Thanks for the feedback and the support specially from my fellow country man.

It is true that in my own country theres lack of support from my work, I am probably less known and respected in my own country then any were else in the world.
                              All because of the incredible fever of progressive that rules Portugal at the moment, something that i am miles away from it.
                              All i can say is that i will continue to do my work regardless.

Thanks once more to everyone and all the best.

Mastiksoul

Comment

Working...