X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cneill
    Getting warmed up
    • Jul 2004

all those blips and bleeps

Anyone else just not getting into the recent (well, relatively recent) style of electro based prog? I've gotten to where I hardly ever download sets anymore (which the mods probably like given my posts per day average). I yearn for the dark and dirty yet soothing and smooth digweed (and others) of 3+ years ago. And as we all know, digweed has major influence in the industry and everyone else has pretty much hopped on the blipity bleep train with conducter diggers. The worst part is that most of the major producers and record labels are of course catering to the changing taste, and it's damn hard to find any records I like and actually buy these days. I know progressive is progressive and that means constant change and whatnot, and I've tried to like music that sounds like it was made from old atari machines by robots in a tin can, but it just doesn't do it for me, just doesn't give me the same satisfaction. However, I know for most people it's just dandy, and that's fine. But surely there're some people out there who share this disappointment with me. Or am I just stuck in my own little bleep-free shell?
    Go n-ithe an cat th? is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat
  • daveman
    I love the colors!!!
    • Jul 2005

Re: all those blips and bleeps

Originally posted by Michael Winslow
    don't forget the beeps the creeps and the sweeps. bleeep boooo bleeep boooo

i agree, leave the techno sound to the techno DJ's. it seems that about the time you brought up "3+ years ago" a lot of the different styles started mixing together to create hybrid sound DJ's. some of the dark funky groove of yesteryear is now being overlaped or replaced by a uptight sounding combination of beeps. i've heard and seen a lot of techno DJ's that left me screamin for more after hours of rockin out, but i miss some of the progressive sound that when it funk hit... sunk me into the floor.
    once upon a time, machines were mice, and men were lions. now that its the opposite, it's twice upon a time

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

I love this quote, paraphrased:

Techno is one in a long line of genres victimized by the progressive movement in electronic music. The progressive movement is a virus. It uses up music resources like samples, sounds and techniques, and tries to simplify kinds of music that are far too complex and forward-moving like techno and minimal house. They don?t even know it while they?re doing it. They think that they?re off in a new style when that style has been around for years.

Comment

• peloquin
        Till I Come!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
        I love this quote, paraphrased:

Techno is one in a long line of genres victimized by the progressive movement in electronic music. The progressive movement is a virus. It uses up music resources like samples, sounds and techniques, and tries to simplify kinds of music that are far too complex and forward-moving like techno and minimal house. They don?t even know it while they?re doing it. They think that they?re off in a new style when that style has been around for years.

Comment

• DocWashburn
          Getting Somewhere
          • Aug 2004

The true test of any dance music is whether or not it cuts it on the dancefloor.
          I've yet to see a crowd of people respond positively to blips and bleeps, so what the hell is the point?

Comment

• Yao
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

+1

But don't worry, I've been downloading so much dark shit for when I get my cd-decks..I'll rock your socks off with some good o'le dark dirty prog dude.
            Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DocWashburn
              The true test of any dance music is whether or not it cuts it on the dancefloor.
              I've yet to see a crowd of people respond positively to blips and bleeps, so what the hell is the point?
              perhaps you've not seen someone do it properly. i've been to numerous club nights where pots and pans were on hit, and people were going fking nuts. here and abroad.

different strokes for different folks.

Comment

• Yao
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

True dat. I may be a proghead when playing, but fuck I had some weird ass evenings going completely nutters on some minimal techno, I'll tell you that. Get into the vibe and let it take you...that's all it requires.
                Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• cneill
                  Getting warmed up
                  • Jul 2004

*waiting in earnest for Yao to rock my socks off*...errrr... you know what i mean
                  Go n-ithe an cat th? is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

Comment

• skahound
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jun 2004

A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

Working...