X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Howard Dean Was Right

Stumbled upon this elsewhere, thought it was worth spreading around. Check out this oddly prophetic speech Dean gave at Drake College on February 17, 2003, a month before we went into Iraq.

?The stakes are so high, this is not a time for holding back or sheepishly going along with the herd.
    ?
    And I firmly believe that the President is focusing our diplomats, our military, our intelligence agencies, and even our people on the wrong war, at the wrong time, when our energy and our resources should be marshaled for the greatest threats we face. Yes, Saddam Hussein is evil. But Osama bin Laden is also evil, and he has attacked the United States, and he is preparing now to attack us again.

What happened to the war against al Qaeda?

Why has this Administration taken us so far off track?

I believe it is my patriotic duty to urge a different path to protecting America's security: To focus on al Qaeda, which is an imminent threat, and to use our resources to improve and strengthen the security and safety of our home front and our people while working with the other nations of the world to contain Saddam Hussein.
    ?

To this day, the President has not made a case that war against Iraq, now, is necessary to defend American territory, our citizens, our allies, or our essential interests.
    ?

The Administration has not explained how a lasting peace, and lasting security, will be achieved in Iraq once Saddam Hussein is toppled.
    ?

We have been told over and over again what the risks will be if we do not go to war.

We have been told little about what the risks will be if we do go to war.

If we go to war, I certainly hope the Administration's assumptions are realized, and the conflict is swift, successful and clean.

I certainly hope our armed forces will be welcomed like heroes and liberators in the streets of Baghdad.

I certainly hope Iraq emerges from the war stable, united and democratic.

I certainly hope terrorists around the world conclude it is a mistake to defy America and cease, thereafter, to be terrorists.

It is possible, however, that events could go differently, and that the Iraqi Republican Guard will not sit out in the desert where they can be destroyed easily from the air.

It is possible that Iraq will try to force our troops to fight house to house in the middle of cities - on its turf, not ours - where precision-guided missiles are of little use.

It is possible that ? our efforts to minimize civilian casualties will be far less successful than we hope.

There are other risks.

Iraq is a divided country, with Sunni, Shia and Kurdish factions that share both bitter rivalries and access to large quantities of arms.

Iran and Turkey each have interests in Iraq they will be tempted to protect with or without our approval.
    ?
    And, perhaps most importantly, there is a very real danger that war in Iraq will fuel the fires of international terror.?

pretty spot on, imo.
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Howard Dean Was Right

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

you ever hear of kuchinich(spelling)>? he said the same shit. and was right on more shit than most out there. media killed the guy unfortunetly, he was my pick for pres early on. only guy who voiced his opinion without actually caring what his party or the other said. media owes us more coverage on him and mccain next time around.
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks

Dean's a riot. I wish he would have won the democratic nod if for no other reason than the fact that he would have provided endless fodder for the Daily Show and SNL during election season.

I remember the first time I heard that scream of his, it was on the radio and I didn't think it was real. Sounded like a cross between a professional wrestler and a fraggle. One of the most memorable moments of the whole election, imo.

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

Amazing how one moment like that can shape a candidate's future. lol. After that scream, insert fork, dean was done.

If it were not for that scream, i'm sure his hatred for cats would have killed his chance of winning the white house eventually:

Comment

• Yao
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                you ever hear of kuchinich(spelling)>? he said the same shit. and was right on more shit than most out there. media killed the guy unfortunetly, he was my pick for pres early on. only guy who voiced his opinion without actually caring what his party or the other said. media owes us more coverage on him and mccain next time around.
                Same here. Although admitadely, it was mostly because of his stance on Marijuana. I definetely would have voted for him
                "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• thesightless
                  • Jun 2004

i liked his take on labor more than the weed. i can always get weed if want. also, he is the only one who critiqued the democratic party for increasing taxes for bullshit in the past. his camp was the source of that list that went around which held all the funding amounts for stupid things. there was actually a 2.5 million dollar grant to the baseball hall of fame proposed by by the former NY senator. like baseball needs anymore money. there was 1mill for the study of the water pressure of old faithful. i shit you not. id put him and mccain in office tomorrow if given the oppurtunity. its a shame that the US parties have basically become the jocks vs goths idea from highschool. you are with one of them, or your alienated from everyone.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Its funny you should mention that. I was one of the few, along with some of my imediate "clique" that hung out with both the goth's/metalheads and the jocks/popular crowd in high school. I even hung out with the "all vietnamese" crowd and was pretty much the only white boy that did. Hung out with them in the library and when I did homeword during "access period", hung out with the goth's and metalheads when I ditched, or during smoke out sessions after school. And the popular crowd during all the parties on the weekends. I just got along with everyone, which is probably why I have the stance I do now with politics.

But I get what your saying, its a shame. I am right with you on the Kucinich/McCain ticket. That would be awesome. Won't happen, but its nice to hope for, at the very least, an independant president sometime soon. Its too bad the libertarian party has taken the Republican stance on religion as of late, or I would probably find myself among them. Alas, I'm sure I'll be a registered independant voter till I die, voting for whoever I deem the lesser of two evils at any point in time.
                    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                    "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• thesightless
                      • Jun 2004

would be something to see two prominent members of each party unite as one on the indie ticket. not sure what would happen. but it would be cool. they should wait until mid-campaign time too, that way the 2 big parties look like asses when they back thier guy to death, then have to flip and trash them. would bring to light some issues.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Maybe we should write them both and give them the idea. 2008 might be the perfect time to make a revolutionary attempt such as this. No offense to any females that may be reading this, but America is simply not ready for a female president. And if any of the hype is true, and Hillary is the lead prospect for the Democratic party in '08, and it the Republicans actually try to fight that with Condoleeza, I would definetely be one thats voting for someone else on the ticket.

They, as could any GOOD indie candidate - could run at such a time, and even win. 2008 should be interesting no matter what happens.
                        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• toasty
                          Sir Toastiness
                          • Jun 2004

Actually, Sen. Biden expressed interest in running with Sen. McCain in 2008 on a recent Daily Show. I'd love to see something like that...

Comment

Working...