X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Ghost Town

This is a repost (that I can't find with search) but I still find it an EXTREMELY interesting read. Do yourselves a favor and spend the 20 minutes needed to read it.

I started thinking about it after playing on Google Earth trying to find it. If you have Google Earth installed, click the following link and open it with Google Earth. It's a high-quality, black & white image overlay of the disaster site... you can find the city of Chernobyl (in very low detail) if you follow the road south against the shore where the 3 roads all cross each other.
  • audiotherapy
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Re: Ghost Town

from what ive read the pictures were a hoax

Comment

• miketpoto
      Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by audiotherapy
      from what ive read the pictures were a hoax

Dont read anything you believe....

Comment

• daveman
        I love the colors!!!
        • Jul 2005

this is no hoax. i saw this story, and her going through her whole journal on tv a few years back. its amazing that after all this time there is still very high levels of radiation.

-good information to share picklemonkey
        once upon a time, machines were mice, and men were lions. now that its the opposite, it's twice upon a time

Comment

• frisky
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

he actually went there? wouldnt he get exposed to radiation...??
          good read/haunting pics.

f.
          frisky Radio - feelin' frisky?
          Now with 70% Less Fat :: http://www.friskyradio.com/frisky_low.m3u

Comment

• day_for_night
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

its 'she', and ya she did go there. radiation levels were really high compared to a normal environment, which is why she doesnt go for long. I imagine she takes iodine pills before she goes, helps protect from the radiation.

there's no way those pictures are fake. i speak ukranian...all those signs are from chernobyl.

Comment

• supaz
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

I saw an episode on the History / Discovery channel about this...real interesting. They went through the whole timeline of what happened...

Horror Movie to be Filmed in Chernobyl

The former Chernobyl nuclear power plant has been chosen as a location for the horror movie Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis, a story about bloodthirsty zombies, reports Obozrevatel.

A film crew has already received permission to shoot as close as several hundred meters away from the site where a reactor blew up in 1986.

Producer Anatoly Fradis said, "It's a sacred place. But we are shooting a movie here and locals will be financially compensated. But there are certain areas that we will not use because people were hurt there, and some died."

Meanwhile, producers and the director have already visited Chernobyl. They are aware that there is still about 90 tons of nuclear fuel stored there. The visitors were amazed by the animal life they encountered in the vicinity of the power plant - 30kg catfish and immensely huge deer that according to one witness were almost the size of an elephant.

The visitors agreed that Chernobyl is "a real city of ghosts."

Comment

• picklemonkey
                • Jun 2004

The visitors were amazed by the animal life they encountered in the vicinity of the power plant - 30kg catfish and immensely huge deer that according to one witness were almost the size of an elephant.
                were there monkeys flying out of the deers' asses?

I'd defo love to see this video if it comes out... any idea where I can find production info/

Comment

• supaz
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

I dunno...sounds like a really cheesy movie though...

Comment

• picklemonkey
                    • Jun 2004

you probably won't believe it, but I totally missed the sentence about it being a horror movie... i started reading it at "A film crew has already received permission." I thought it was going to be a documentary on-site

regardless, I'd still like to see the movie. It'd at least be worth seeing the scenery for two hours

Comment

• supaz
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

I was kind of wondering wtf

Comment

• miketpoto
                        Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by picklemonkey

you probably won't believe it, but I totally missed the sentence about it being a horror movie... i started reading it at "A film crew has already received permission." I thought it was going to be a documentary on-site
                        regardless, I'd still like to see the movie. It'd at least be worth seeing the scenery for two hours
                        A 2 hour zombie movie made by a cast and crew who agree to film on site in the most toxic spot on the planet, and feel as though they can supplement the still very fresh and by no stretch of the imagination is there an end in sight. at first I didnt think much of that, but the number of people that must have some SERIOUS physical damage (just enough to not have killed them and downwards in severity I guess) I just can't imagine a horror film budget with a contingency built in for a donation even being able to help more than 5% of those affected... and from what I gather, the area wont be "ready" for revitalization of any kind during the lifetime of anyone reading this post.

? "They are aware that there is still about 90 tons of nuclear fuel stored there." ?
                        hmmmmm... I did some research to clarify what exactly is still in storage....

-some stats i found-
                        "During this period*, 4 EBq (4?1018 Bq) activity was released to the air, which was 400 times the amount of radioactivity released during the Hiroshima atomic bomb explosion."

*(the 10 days before they could get anywhere near the "fire" to start putting the 3000F meltdown out, this is different than radioactivity, but in scientific terms this is known as "Fucking Hot")

and here is what a research dig results in...

Comment

• day_for_night
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

the site wont be inhabitable for 10,000 years ++. And the iodine tablets will help with the thyroid cancer. its the cancer of everything else you've gotta worry about.

Comment

• threehills
                            I heart Lollergirl
                            • Jun 2005

Women on crotch rockets are hot regardless of whether they have monkeys flying out of their asses or not.
                            It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

Working...