X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddr
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Josh Wink @ Twilo 1999-07-24

I figure some people may want to hear this.

During the late 90's, Twilo was a NY institution. Hosting the legendary residency of Sasha & Digweed as well as Junior Vasquez's weekly residency during this time. There were two booths at Twilo - one which was built for Junior which was perched above the crowd and one for the guests which was just elevated above the floor on one end of the club. Josh would embark on a residency at Twilo during this time that became an Ovum Recordings night which allowed him to showcase many of the artists releasing on the label.

On this night the opening set was from DJ Dozia. This was also a special evening as it was the release party for Josh's mix compilation Profound Sounds Volume 1. During this time, the label was distributed by Sony Music worldwide and this was a big event having Josh playing in the labels home city. There were various press requests including a request to film. This was quickly shut down as there was no video to be taken inside the club (How times have changed!). Josh took over the decks and at this point in the evening legendary sound man Steve Dash would open up the system. As the headliner took over, it was like the room transformed. I can still envision the circular light that sat above the dance floor as well as the huge disco ball all coming to life as the set started to build.

Well turn up the volume and prepare to dive into two hours of bliss as Mr. Josh Wink takes you on a journey showing his true musical diversity and understanding why many always called him the DJ's DJ.

Shout out to Steve Dash, Mike Bindra, Paul Morris, Todd Horn, Izzy Monk, Neil Lawi, and everyone who was involved in this special evening and of course to all the clubbers. #Staysafe #Stayhome

During the late 90's, Twilo was a NY institution. Hosting the legendary residency of Sasha & Digweed as well as Junior Vasquez's weekly residency during this time. There were two booths at Twilo - one
    "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James
  • PartyInGreece
    Gold Gabber
    • Aug 2006

Re: Josh Wink @ Twilo 1999-07-24

This is really, really good music Josh is a class act....always has been.

Comment

• sbando
      Going back to Romford
      • Apr 2008

Was this an Essential Mix originally?
      ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
      ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
      ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
      ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• zoobrzl
        Getting Somewhere
        • Apr 2010

Download: https://hearthis.at/ryzkb3qf/josh-wi...yc-24.07.1999/

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Nov 2013

Josh took over the decks and at this point in the evening legendary soundman Steve Dash would open up the system. As the headliner took over, it was like the room transformed.
          Poor form. It makes the other DJ's look incompetent. This is Vasquez type nonsense. This goes back to the story that Sasha mentioned years ago in Mixmag. It just sounds disrespectfull to the other DJ's.

Comment

• kolakao
            Getting Somewhere
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
            Poor form. It makes the other DJ's look incompetent. This is Vasquez type nonsense. This goes back to the story that Sasha mentioned years ago in Mixmag. It just sounds disrespectfull to the other DJ's.

It's certain that there is something between Junior and ,,Euro Dj's":
            Do you feel that yourself and the other people who were so instrumental in creating the Twilo/New York scene have left the dance music world a legacy which has extended outside the city itself? Do you think you guys have had a lot of influence over the years?

I know that the Twilo years were very special to a new generation of clubbers, and I loved being back in that space (it was the original Sound Factory), but in my opinion, the Friday night Euro party with DJs like Sasha and Digweed, Paul van Dyk, Carl Cox, etc. had nothing at all to do with my Saturday night party in the same space. I was basically playing all of my own productions/remixes for a gay crowd, and the Euro party there on Fridays was very bridge-and-tunnel, lots of kids, lots of drugs. We all did share the great Steve Dash/Phazon sound system though.

What happened to Twilo in the end? We always got little snippets of the story over here but the whole tale is not very well known…

The owners of Twilo fought very hard to keep the club open, and we were all blamed for the drug problems that eventually caused the club to be closed by the city. But the truth of the matter is that the kids on Friday nights were too immature to handle their partying, and unlike the slightly older and more mature gay crowd on my Saturday nights, there were lots of overdoses. The other factor that caused it to close was the drug GHB. That drug is evil. It makes me sick to think that a few young drug addicts caused the club to close. The space has reopened since then as Spirit, but they’ve sucked the spirit out of what was once a great club.

Have there been lots of problems with the authorities and clubbing in New York? What do you think needs changing with regards to the laws and so on?

I went through a few years of addiction and luckily recovered. My opinion is that if the clubs cannot survive without drug dealing on the premises, then they should be closed. I don’t want to play at a club where my crowd’s not focused on the music. If it’s just going to be a crack house, then I say shut it down.

http://www.harderfaster.net/?sid=a6f...eatureid=11129

Comment

• zoobrzl
              Getting Somewhere
              • Apr 2010

Comment

Working...