X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Weizy
    MCast Resident DJ
    • Jun 2004

Heckled by drum and bass heads!

i had a midnight time slot last night at club Euphoria and the funniest thing happened. i got on after a drum and bass dj/mc duo and as i faded their last record out and dropped a 4/4 beat the crowd got angry as hell!

For at least ten minutes i was getting booed and yelled at because i wasn't playing drum and bass! What the fuck is that? Shortly after the d&b heads realized I wasn't going to magically transform into dieselboy the room cleared and i went on about my business. Played an awesome set to a small crowd of say 20 people.

But seriously, is this what the scene has become? Booing some prog house dj because he is not dropping drum and bass?

Am I crazy or what?

to any fans of d&b on the boards i do not have anything against some good drum and bass. i just had a bad d&b related experience...
  • ZendoBro
    Mr. Roboto
    • Dec 2004

Re: Heckled by drum and bass heads!

Sounds like the crowd wasn't ready for the change. Did it list on the flyer that you would be spinning a Progressive set?
    I am no cyberwhore...
    http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• bart_smastard
      Gold Gabber
      • May 2005

i understand the crowd for getting on ure back cos u were palying a genre they had not come out for .. but being a prog head im well behind you on trying to re-educate them

Comment

• FM
        Wooooooo!
        • Jun 2004

many d'n'b heads are pretty hardcore about their music...anything NOT d'n'b they hate

Luckily the people I know are versed and can enjoy a house set as much as spinning a d'n'b set...

Never understood why one can be so into one genre and think the others all suck...it's all written and constructed in the same ways, just in different BPM's
        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
        Facebook!
        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• beat_freq
          Getting warmed up
          • Jun 2004

[quote="FM"]many d'n'b heads are pretty hardcore about their music...anything NOT d'n'b they hate

yeah, i second that, esp in ny. if it isn't rugged jungle you might as well be spinning wilson phillips.

Comment

• asdf_admin
            i use to be important
            • Jun 2004

Booing some prog house dj because he is not dropping drum and bass?
            i would of unplugged your shit. and told you to go home.
            dead, yet alive.

Comment

• remoh
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

wow thats pretty shitty.. but hey dnb fans usually go out and see diesel boy playing along bad boy bill ..you'd think that some are ok with different styles ... oh well at least you had fun right??
              [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
              |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

• demonAfro
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

What kind of organiser puts prog on straight after rinsing dnb. I expect you could just as easily clear a room of prog heads by playing something that different

Comment

• Kobe
                  I wish I had an interesting User title
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by demonAfro
                  What kind of organiser puts prog on straight after rinsing dnb. I expect you could just as easily clear a room of prog heads by playing something that different
                  Agreed, bad job by the promoter. What was the crowd to do, they just heard what they came to hear, now there are not. What were you to do, you play what you play and probably didn't bring records from every other genre just in case.

Perhaps letting the last record finish instead of fading it out might have helped? I don't know. There is no excuse to boo a DJ who doesn't suck (Tommy Lee you can boo).
                  Beats are my crack.

Comment

• hulkhuss
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

BOOO!!!!for the opening dj :P
                    and props to you
                    http://www.mixcloud.com/RMasie/

http://soundcloud.com/r-masie

https://www.facebook.com/R-Masie-117851198318029/

Comment

• diskofreak
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

all my dnb/hardcore rave friends make fun of john digweed and house to no end..
                      and techno..
                      ppl that are into a harder style of music don't really tend to listen to anything slower or diffrent
                      i don't know, was the crowd really young too?

Comment

• liquidsky
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

d'n b heads can be really hardcore and close-minded to other genres. Really sucks you got boo'd but understandable based on the crowd and don't take it personally - they would have boo'd even a big name dj just for the fact it was 4/4 beats

Comment

• hulkhuss
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

i would have just turned the pitch way up on your records just to mess with the crowd :P
                          http://www.mixcloud.com/RMasie/

http://soundcloud.com/r-masie

https://www.facebook.com/R-Masie-117851198318029/

Comment

• honeyL
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by demonAfro
                            I too had the same question. Really not a brillant move on the promoters part. Alot of people do appreciate different genres but for the most part EDM fans can be pretty picky about what they like and dislike. Best to stick with similar genres when putting together a night.

However, this doesn't give the DnB kids the right to be rude. If you don't like a certain genre you should still respect others and their rights to chose what they want to listen to. If I am going out to a gig and don't know what one of the DJs in the lineup spins I do a bit of research so I know what to expect. The DnB kids should have done just that and if they didn't care for the genre being played after the DnB DJ then they should have been mature about it and just left quietly. I would have the same criticism for the Progheads if they had been rude during the DnB opening set. Not liking a particular genre doesn't give one the right to be immature and rude in their criticism of it.
                            Doesn't mean I am weird and it doesn't mean I need to be in therapy. www.aaronmossey.com

Comment

• Neil Hamburger
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Apr 2005

Drum and bass is idiotic music for the uneducated. You insulted yourself by going on after that try hard and if you weren't able to realise that the second you cued your first record then you have insulted me by lowering my chosen style. Shame all round really.
                              It's NEEEEEEIIIIILLLLLLLL HAAMMMMBUUURRRGGGERRR!

Comment

Working...