X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evangelion
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Recommendations please...

So finally after years of wanting a camera, borrowing my friends 6.1MP Kodak has finally made me deceide to take the plunge. Problem is, as technologically savvy as I am, I know almost nothing about digital cameras...the upper echelon at least. I've developed a new hobby of taking pictures of the concerts I go to, so if their is a model or attachment or whatever that takes better pictures in low light, that's what I'm looking for. Something in the $900 to $1100/7.0 to 8.0 MP range is what I'm wanting. Links, reviews, but most of all first hand use would be ideal.

A question for all the photographers out there. Pictures that you see of people on stage that you can tell were not taken with a flash.....how does that work??? I tried taking a few shot the other night with no flash, thinking the light from the stage would be enough to make it turn out, and every one I tried was nothing but a little bit of colored light and nothing else. Anyone know how they pull that off??

Oh, also, what is the advantage of an SLR over a point and shoot and what makes them cost so much more??

Thanks in advance for all input.
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

dpreview.com - best site out there for cameras and to tell you about all that you need to know.... if you want a simply point and shoot, just snag the canon G6, dpreview has an amazing writeup about the camera

-e-
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• evangelion
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Re: Recommendations please...

Does it tell you what is the difference between an SLR and a point and shoot?? An SLR looks like what I concider to be a "photography" camera, not something that just anyone would buy to take pcitures of birthday parties. But then again, I don't really know...and could be wrong.

Comment

• palmer
        Retired or Simply Important
        • Jun 2004

For what you want to do ... I wouldn't really be looking at any point and shoot. But just keep in mind when you see good shots its not really the camera... the camera is just the tool. Knowing how to set your shots up with the proper settings for the lighting situation is what makes the shot and with an slr you will get MUCH more control over that situation. I'm sure many will disagree or have other suggestions but both my father and sister are professional photographers and they shoot nikons, for the most part. Nikon has a good entry level slr I think its around $500, its the d50. Which when you get all loaded up with the proper gear will end up costing around a grand. That is my suggestion and actually what I'll be picking up here in a few weeks.
        todayistomorrow
        art direction | design | animation

Comment

• palmer
          Retired or Simply Important
          • Jun 2004

when you look through the viewfinder of a point and shoot its not really what is being translated to the film... with an slr > wysiwyg
          todayistomorrow
          art direction | design | animation

Comment

• evangelion
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by palmer
            For what you want to do ... I wouldn't really be looking at any point and shoot. But just keep in mind when you see good shots its not really the camera... the camera is just the tool. Knowing how to set your shots up with the proper settings for the lighting situation is what makes the shot and with an slr you will get MUCH more control over that situation.
            I know lighting and all that makes a huge difference, but I always see pictures in magazines of bands playing where it looks like they clicked a shot and everything came out good. I'm not looking to make "art" photographs (not yet anyway), I just want to take really good pictures of the things I do (trips, concerts, the occational artsy shot when something strikes me).

I've always know Nikon were super good camera's, but what I have been looking at is the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0-Megapixel SLR. Used one or know anyone that has??

Comment

• asdf_admin
              i use to be important
              • Jun 2004

^^^ i have. yes it is beautiful and takes super pics. a very good entry camera for a SLR. I still think Canon is ahead of the game when it comes to optics. Also there digic II is much improved. I think you would be happy with that buy. Make sure you buy yourself a big disc so you can snag all those photos.
              dead, yet alive.

Comment

• evangelion
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

I definitely will...I'm thinking a Gig or more, if they make one bigger that is.

I've been doing alot of reading and the Canon seems like the best all-around buy. So it looks like I'll have a sick-ass camera to take shots of the 2 concerts I'll be attending this weekened.

Comment

• Yao
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

EOS 350 Digital Rebel XT is about the same league as the Nikon D50, but i has 8 mpix as opposed to the D50 which has 'only' 6.1. Both come out of the review really really good...so it may depend on the mpix in this case.

The Canon is smaller and lighter though, so take your own build into account. For a big guy a heavier cam maybe easier to use in the end.

-e-, I'm looking at either a G6 or at this moment the Canon S80. 3,6 optical zoom and 8 mpix for the latter one...and i can get a lens converter for zoom pics when I'm going to africa. It'll allow me to use it as a point and shoot too, and I can take it with me a lot easier than a DSLR of course. And by saving a few bucks I might just still be able to pay you guys a visit, and that is deffo worth taking it a little easier on the cam IMO ;-)
                  Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• evangelion
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Well, come to find out the Canon does not come with a flash. Another thing I know jack about. I was looking on the Best Buy website, and it looks like they don't even sell them.

So I'm back to square one.....flash recommendations please. :P

Comment

• Yao
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

Errr....no flash? you mean the memory I hope? In that case you'll have your work cut out, looking for a cam on flash-memory. There are plenty but you'll have to dive into the specs sheet for that...wouldn't know any of those off the top of my head mate...
                      Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• evangelion
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

No, I mean no flash, as in the bright thing that "flashes" when you take a picture. It doesn't have one built in.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                          i use to be important
                          • Jun 2004

Speedlite 580EX

Canon's top-of-the-line Speedlite has been thoroughly revised. It's smaller and lighter than ever, yet provides a bit more power and significantly faster recycling. A new Select Dial makes changes, like exposure compensation, a breeze. It now covers lenses as wide as 14mm, and has new features for digital SLRs - including the ability to transmit precise flash color temperature information, and vary the zoom setting to match the imaging sensor.

Speedlite 430EX

This exciting new addition to the EOS System combines compact size and affordability with an added dose of features and sophistication. Improving on the previous model, Speedlite 420EX, the new 430EX can now be set into manual flash mode (full power~1/64). Flash compensation can be set on the flash unit, and manual control of the flash zoom head is now possible. Improvements in its circuitry make recycle time 40% faster, and since it is compatible with Canon's wireless E-TTL, it can be used as an affordable "slave unit."

Speedlite 220EX

Designed for automatic operation only, the 220EX Flash Unit excels at providing natural-looking balanced flash exposures. When attached to the EOS IX, EOS Elan II/Elan IIe/IIe, or EOS Rebel G, the 220EX incorporates the superior technology of Canon's unique E-TTL evaluative pre-stored flash exposure control system, FE Lock for a new dimension of creative control and FP Flash(High Speed Sync) for flash photography up to maximum shutter speed. When used with other EOS cameras, or the T90, it operates as a TTL autoflash (off-the-film flash metering).

When in E-TTL operation, flash exposure is measured and controlled by the camera in combination with Canon's AIM system. Subject position, ambient light level, evaluative metering and pre-flash data are instantly analyzed, including heavy backlighting or reflections from background windows or mirrors.

PS. Digital Rebel XT comes with a built in flash. Great for taking a picture of your fav stripper. but that is about it.
                          dead, yet alive.

Comment

• evangelion
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by asdf_admin
                            PS. Digital Rebel XT comes with a built in flash. Great for taking a picture of your fav stripper. but that is about it.
                            Really?? The "flash" part of the spec sheet is blank.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Comment

• evangelion
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Ok, so I actually got the Digital Rebel XT camera like 3 months ago...forgot about this thread.

This thing takes really go pictures, but damn it is going to take me a while to learn how to use it. I haven't got a chance to try and take some cool pictures...just family and stuff so far, but the shots that have come out look really good.

I guess a new lens and flash are next up...anyone know any basic "need-to-know" info about lens, cuz everything I've tried to read online goes right over my head. I'm going to take some of the tutorials on the Canon webiste...hopefully that will answer some setting questions I still have.

Comment

Working...