• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pretence
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
    if only I lived on a coast

Please! And is there oil rigs in Ireland? I think not!

Comment

• evangelion
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by pretence
      Imagine hydro car running on sea water. Think what a change that would have. To have a limitless resource. Make the world a lot friendlier place!
      Seriously. And supposedly the only waste from those hydrogen fuel cells is water. Of course it all comes down to cost (which is beyond realistic at this point), but imagine the positive change in this world if the only emission from a car was frickin' water vapor.

Comment

• pretence
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by evangelion
        Originally posted by pretence
        Imagine hydro car running on sea water. Think what a change that would have. To have a limitless resource. Make the world a lot friendlier place!
        Seriously. And supposedly the only waste from those hydrogen fuel cells is water. Of course it all comes down to cost (which is beyond realistic at this point), but imagine the positive change in this world if the only emission from a car was frickin' water vapor.
        The only reason the cost is beyond realsitic is because it wouldn't have a fraction of the profit of oil.

If this was a new super car like the Merc/MacLaren which costs about ?300,000 there is no problem.

How much money is invested in F1 cars over the years?

Greed is the driver and the reason.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Re: Gas Prices

Part of the reason speed limits were 55 for al ong time is that the gov't and automakers worked to make an efficiency standard after the oil crisis in the 70's. As such, engines became designed for optimum performance at 55 mph, and all gov't highways were adjusted to that speed limit. Since then, a lot of highways have increased their speed limits due to the demand of the people to drive fast.

However, cars haven't been redesigned to match random speeds, they still perform best at 55 mph. It'll take you significantly longer for any trips you make, but you *WILL* save gas if you drive at 55 mph

The use of air conditioning in your car can burn gas. Studies have been run to see at what speed do you switch from burning fuel to run the AC vs burning fuel to fight the drag of an open window. I think they said that anything over 40 mph you create too much drag on the car and you'd be better off (fuel economy wise) to roll up the window and use AC at that point. Below 40 mph, you'd do better by turning off the AC and running with the window down
          "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

• evangelion
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DreamGirlie
            The use of air conditioning in your car can burn gas. Studies have been run to see at what speed do you switch from burning fuel to run the AC vs burning fuel to fight the drag of an open window. I think they said that anything over 40 mph you create too much drag on the car and you'd be better off (fuel economy wise) to roll up the window and use AC at that point. Below 40 mph, you'd do better by turning off the AC and running with the window down
            I completely understand the logic in that, but try living in Florida in the summer. It's AC all the time for me. Otherwise I would have a heat stroke.

Comment

• skahound
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jun 2004

Not to mention that any gasoline you would actually save would be negligible.
              A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

I completely understand the logic in that, but try living in Florida in the summer. It's AC all the time for me. Otherwise I would have a heat stroke.
                I hear ya...its been 90% humidity here and so hot. Surely not as bad as ther ebut I can relate.
                "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

• FM
                  Wooooooo!
                  • Jun 2004

alas I only see one way of changes to all this is if carmakers can't sell enough cars...July had more new cars sold then ANY OTHER MONTH thanks to the "employee discounts" that the carmakers were offering
                  FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                  "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                  Facebook!
                  A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• umlaut
                    Getting warmed up
                    • Jun 2004

I hear ya...its been 90% humidity here and so hot. Surely not as bad as ther ebut I can relate.
                    I guess it all comes down to comfor level: do you want to sweat your A$$ off to get few extra miles/gallon?
                    As for myself, Since i am @ work during the hottest part of the day. When i am driving to home, i usally don't operate AC, that gives me extra ~30 miles for my tank.
                    Plus, i don't want to be sitting next to a smelly sweaty person @ work ... hmm... it does confuse whatever point i was trying to make.
                    ThOu ShaLL Not LiStEn To BaD MusIk

Comment

• daveman
                      I love the colors!!!
                      • Jul 2005

maybe smaller cars are the answer.

I really want the 911.
                      once upon a time, machines were mice, and men were lions. now that its the opposite, it's twice upon a time

Comment

• Jibgolly
                        Vortexuralizor
                        • Jun 2004

amen to that shit. and im about to return to florida.
                        but i welcome the heat over a city full of unruly apes any day.

Comment

• evangelion
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
                          amen to that shit. and im about to return to florida.
                          but i welcome the heat over a city full of unruly apes any day.
                          Africa junior, if I remember correctly??? :wink:

Comment

Working...