• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Re: fao people that read books

Even better.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• peloquin
      Till I Come!
      • Jun 2004

any hemingway fans? i just read "a farewell to arms" last week, and enjoyed it, was wondering waht else of his to read next :P

Comment

• palmer
        Retired or Simply Important
        • Jun 2004

Yeah it was very good. Lots of underlying themes worthy of multiple reads.
        todayistomorrow
        art direction | design | animation

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by peloquin
          any hemingway fans?
          The story goes that Ernest Hemingway was challenged to write a short-story in 10 words or fewer. He later proclaimed that it was one of the best stories he'd ever written. It actually spawned a whole new genre of writing called 'micro-fiction' which is typically a maximum of 100 words. Hemingway's story was: "For sale.
          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• peloquin
            Till I Come!
            • Jun 2004

hah forgot about that thread...

Comment

• Lorn
              Looking for a title!
              • Sep 2004

I just read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad again.

An all time favorite for me. Conrad's writing style sticks out and hits you in the chest like heavy bass. I love it.

Comment

• day_for_night
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

i'm gonna be on planes for 83 hours for business travel over the next 3 weeks...i will definitely be taking some of these suggestions with me.

Comment

• day_for_night
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

and if anyone wants to add any newer suggestions, that'd be appreciated. this is the only thread of book recommendations i could find, and its a bit dated...

Comment

• Kat
                    A pretty fn good milkshake
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by day_for_night
                    and if anyone wants to add any newer suggestions, that'd be appreciated. this is the only thread of book recommendations i could find, and its a bit dated...
                    List some books that have significantly changed your perspective on life here are a few that come to my mind. The Alchemist Jean Piaget (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Piaget): Theory of cognitive development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_cognitive_development) The 48 Laws of Power Theory of Communicative
                    ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                      • Jun 2004

I started reading 'Jitterbug Perfume' by Tom Robbins today. It's from the 80s so not exactly new, but I'm going off a strong recommendation and I can already tell I'm going to be hooked on this one.

Anyone else read it?
                      "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

I am struggling through:

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• day_for_night
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

danka

Comment

• peloquin
                            Till I Come!
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by SyntaxTerror
                            I started reading 'Jitterbug Perfume' by Tom Robbins today. It's from the 80s so not exactly new, but I'm going off a strong recommendation and I can already tell I'm going to be hooked on this one.

Anyone else read it?
                            actually this is one of the only ones i havent read of Tom Robbins. he's probably my favorite writer though... so funny and has such a way of coming up with analogies like nobody else. my fave of his is Skinny Legs & All and Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas is also great.

Comment

• lucid
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Jan 2006

my favorite author by far is Bret Easton Ellis, most notably known for American Psycho, Rules of Attraction, and Less Than Zero, all of which were made into movies. his writing style can be a bit much for those who can't handle really detailed and descriptive passages about violence, murder, fucked up sex acts, drug usage, etc... but he has this dark, witty, smart-ass sense of humor that i just find highly entertaining. he also has a lot of character overlap in his books, which is really cool if you read all of them because characters from one book will turn up in another one, and you'll feel like you already know them. another cool thing - he makes a lot of pop culture references in his storylines, mostly music and designers and trends from the 80's, which is really cool if you grew up during that time.

American Psycho, Glamorama, and Rules of Attraction are my favorite books of his. i'd definitely recommend any of those, especially if you're into more fucked up authors like Chuck Palahniuk. i've read and enjoyed some Palahniuk books, but they didn't stick with me like Ellis' books do.

Comment

Working...