Clear All
  • diskofreak
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

digweed predicts the death of vinyl

SKRUFFF NEWS

Digweed predicts the death of vinyl
    16/09/2005

Bedrock boss John Digweed chatted to Skrufff this week about his upcoming label compilation Layered Sounds 2 and revealed that he?s lost faith in the future of vinyl.

We can safely say that as far as the era of vinyl is concerned it?s not a question of ?if? but ?when?,? said John, ?Which is a shame.?

The superstar DJ?s conclusion is particularly significant since he?s long been acknowledged as one of vinyl?s most enthusiastic supporters (DJ Mag dubbed him ?still a vinyl lover at heart? in their 2004 Top 100 poll) and he predicted the change is coming sooner rather than later.

?So many DJs are nowadays using only CDs that you go to clubs and you?re lucky if you can find a turntable working properly,? he revealed. ?Because it?s been so long since they?ve been used in some of these places that you turn up playing records and they skip and start jumping.?

?I was playing with Danny Howells recently and he was telling me he was doing some festival recently and he was the first DJ to use vinyl for the whole event and no-one had set the turntables up properly before he started. So it took him a while to sort all the decks out properly. It?s a shame but that?s how the technology has gone,? he added.

The key factor driving the change is the internet, John suggested, with digital downloads making vinyl increasingly obsolete.

?You?ve got to accept the fact that kids aged between 12 and 14 probably don?t even know what a record looks like, or CDs either. For them, choosing vinyl over CDs doesn?t make sense,? he said.

?When I travel I meet so many different DJs in places like Buenos Aires, and for them to buy a Bedrock 12? vinyl, by the time you?ve added up the import costs, the packaging, the shipping etc, they could be paying over $15 for one 12? record. Or, they could go onto Bedrock.org.uk and buy the same track for a pound. So if you?re an up and coming DJ who hasn?t got a lot of gigs and not a lot of disposable cash are you going to spunk all your money on three of four records as opposed to 20 or 30 downloads?

From that economic aspect, you can?t blame kids for only wanting downloads now, they can also get them instantly. Sure you can order records online, but they take two or three days whereas you can hear a track online, download it instantly and be playing it out that night,? he pointed out.

Layered Sounds 2 is out now on Bedrock.

The home of John Digweed's Bedrock Records

Jonty Skrufff (Skrufff.com)
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

welcome back disko
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• picklemonkey
      Double hoodie beer monster
      • Jun 2004

oooooh... so we finally know the real identity of Captain Obvious. It's John. it makes total sense now

Comment

• sakio pod
        SALAD TOSSER
        • Jun 2004

Comment

• Weizy
          MCast Resident DJ
          • Jun 2004

Re: digweed predicts the death of vinyl

sad but true news

Comment

• remoh
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

i killed my vinyl long ago..i sold my turntables to a friend ..what sucks is that i didn't transfer all the vinyl i had..too much of a pain in the ass
            [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
            |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

• FM
              Wooooooo!
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Weizy
              sad but true news
              indeed...a lot of DJ's in those countries aforementioned just don't have the $$$; $15 is actually more toward the lower side in some places...it's like blowing half your paycheck to buy 1 record. In this day and age of economics, not worth it.
              FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
              "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
              Facebook!
              A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• qwerty2222
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

the vinyl era is going to an end i supose, digital is evolving so much, in some years, dj's wont use cds either, will use computers to build up a set
                as long as it's good music, i guess it's alright

Comment

• darkabeatz
                  Addiction started
                  • Apr 2005

The real power of digital is the fact that a producer can burn a track thats not even finished yet and then get it played out to see how it goes down. Having records pressed can be a pain in the arse and takes ages.

I havnt bought vinly for a long time now and I too sold my decks as they wernt getting used anymore.

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

not a shocker hearing john proclaim this in 2005. didnt he make the full switch to cd somewhere in 2004 anyway?
                    its a shame vinyl does cost sooo much.
                    i dont know anyone, who in their right mind, would choose 3 or 4 records (maybe 8-12 tracks) over 30-60 digitally downloaded tracks.
                    there was a time about a year ago i thought i may give up spinning cos i was buying like 6 records a year. not good.
                    digital is the way of the future. obviously!

Comment

• ubiqe
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

very true.

but I don't get why you're all so sad about it... music is music.

Comment

• Hambrecht
                        Addiction started
                        • Aug 2004

i am throwing all of my records away.

Comment

• Kobe
                          I wish I had an interesting User title
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Hambrecht
                          i am throwing all of my records away.
                          too risky, I'm going to melt mine down :P

Originally posted by ubiqe
                          but I don't get why you're all so sad about it... music is music.
                          I think it's the sentimental value of records, they're so romantic but then again I can get pretty sentimental about $20 in my pockey, so buh-bye vinyl.

I can see this all ending up pretty quickly because as more and more people stop buying vinyls, there will be less justification for pressing them. I will miss digging through the bins in record shops though (not that I've done that in years, but it is a time honored DJ activity)
                          Beats are my crack.

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

Final Scratch.

Comment

• windsor1995
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Oct 2004

i'm still keeping my records and tables ....they will always be "classic"....but yes it's time remaining does appear to be less and less... for most bedroom dj's/ or even those djing regularly u cant beat the price of mp3 stores (event though some UK stores are pushing it)....and the more and more labels put up there back catalogues the happier i get..cheers to that

Comment

Working...