X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

Re: Why Can't I Own a Canadian?

yes Bart it is a hard/fun topic and yes sir it did make sense. frankly i am proud of us both for being at terms and being able to discuss such a matter. something we both should be proud of. For many turn heads or claim "Faith" threats.

it really goes with the word "respect" and i have much for you kind sir. God and war is a terrible force, and I hate to see the two mixed, but they are. I have my doubts/worries/problems; I also have read the Bible and took the words for myself, not for anyone else or by anyone else. It makes me different for I decided for myself as it should be, a choice. This is where my soul is happy. No gun, no knife, no bomb, will ever take that away from me. it is not at a physical level, yet it is beyond this dimension beyond my own love, beyond my own faith. crazy indeed. but that is where I am happy.

many cheers to you Bart.
    dead, yet alive.

Comment

• bart_smastard
      Gold Gabber
      • May 2005

we should all strive for happiness and contentment in this life . and if religion is bringing that into ure life then maybe there is a lil room in society for it .

was going to carry the disscussion on but i think u wrote such a nice reply i will bow my head and say .. peace

Comment

• asdf_admin
        i use to be important
        • Jun 2004

haha. cheers.
        dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

The only thing that would make this better would be to see the look on her face while she read it, or if we could hear some kind of reply from her.

PWNNNEEED!!! to the ^n th degree
          "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
          "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
          - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Yao
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by cowardly dj
            I am off to get ready for Bible study this evening so I can be refreshed and encouraged as to what lies ahead after I die and be reminded what it is I need to do to make sure I am told

Mat 25:21His lord said unto him, Well done, thougood and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things,I will make thee ruler over many things:enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Cowardly...I notice a difference between you and Asdf in expressing your faith: whereas Asdf enjoys his faith on his own terms, own interpretations, I see you quoting from the Bible and constantly referring to it. I do not mean to disrespect your faith mate, but usually a more open minded kind of faith is found among those whose do indeed choose to beleive in the own way, for their own reasons, and that do not need a book to defend their beliefs.

I do African studies, and about half of the students on my faculty still go in with that bloody missionary attitude: a few of them have for YEARS pounded on me trying to convert me, and whatever they said, did, or had me reading: no effect. In fact, it only annoyed me. However, there is one of those people, a girl, and she's become a very good GF of mine. Why? Because she accepted me for who I am. I curse, I swear, I talk dirty and I make bad jokes all the time. But what matters to her is the simple fact that I always treat other people with respect, and try to be good to my fellow man/woman.
            And that is what should matter in the end to anyone...not what a damn book says. I respect your faith, as well as Asdf's: you can use the book to learn about your faith and explore the religion on your own terms. But when you start using the book to defend yourself and your faith: that is something I do not respect.

If you believe, just believe! No need for books or other shit to show man! Just be who you want to be, believe what you want to believe and simply obey rule #1: try to be a good man towards other people. And I say try too, for nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes...

I don't trust any book written by man, no matter how hard they try to convince me it was dictated by a higher being: the that wrote it was human, therefore falliable. And words don't change, but the world does: a book is, once written, non adaptive. Very scary when taken as a guideline for living and not put in contemporary perspective.
            But someone simply strong is his faith for his own reasons, able to put a book, words or opinion in perspective and still managing to maintain respect for any other view on life: respect.
            Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Yao
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Oh. and I still mean to someday write an article or essay on the way institutionalized religion has slowed down (and still does) development in African countries.

Not to tease you...but it's just something that struck me when I was out there. Mad me fucking mad too...cos I saw it happen, right under my eyes. Thus my referral to "that bloody missionary attitude"; that is the very last thing Africa needs ATM....
              Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

Working...