X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Galapidate
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Record labels that send out promos?

I just became the electronic music genre coordinator at my college radio station, and I really want to build up the less-than-stellar collection of electronic music the station has. Thus, I am trying to find some record labels, if anybody knows of some, that would like to send promos of their records to our station to be played on the air (we are WBRS 100.1 FM Waltham, right outside of Boston www.wbrs.org). We transmit across Boston, so this would give electronic music some huge exposure to the Boston area. Also, if any amateur producers here have material that they would like to submit to be played on the air (if you're from overseas you can livestream our radio station from our website) feel free to PM me. Thank you for your time.

-Brian
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Re: Record labels that send out promos?

Now just send this to the thousands of labels that are out there and you'll be in business. I'd think that you'd hit paydirt if you could partner up with BeatPort or EDMdigital.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• Galapidate
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Well I'm trying to find out from you guys which record labels have sent promotional copies of their releases in the past to local DJs or radio stations to get played out. I don't want to be wasting my time with e-mailing record labels that don't do that.

Comment

• skahound
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • Jun 2004

Ah ok, so rather than do the legwork yourself and getting some good PR & marketing, you'd rather someone else have already done the dirty work! I see now. I'd list a few, but I wouldn't want these people bombarded by folks "claiming" to be radio people. Your best bet is to get out there, introduce yourself, provide a link to the station website, maybe some letterhead, a business card, etc. and write to these people. It's like finding a job, you sound like the guy that sits at home and calls businesses to ask if they're hiring rather than putting on a suit and tie and shaking hands with the owner/manager.

Comment

• Jibgolly
          Vortexuralizor
          • Jun 2004

^^ take it easy skat. drink a glass of merlot.

Comment

• skahound
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Jun 2004

Cool as a cucumber here dude. I'm just a giant proponent of rolling up your sleeves and making a name for yourself. TBH there are probably a ton of people that hit up these record labels for promos each day, so without building up a level of trust you likely won't get anywhere. Not to mention that if you're hitting up companies that are already shelling a ton of stuff out, they're probably less likely to add you to their repetoire. Take note of some untapped names, up and coming labels, get in with some DJs and get the names of the PR people at the labels.

And we topped off a nice '98 Haut-Medoc tonight thank you very much.

Comment

• Jibgolly
              Vortexuralizor
              • Jun 2004

white or red? i know jack diddly.

Comment

• skahound
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Jun 2004

Red, it's a Bordeaux.

Comment

• Jibgolly
                  Vortexuralizor
                  • Jun 2004

Comment

• Galapidate
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

Look, I've already sent out e-mails to plenty of record labels and producers, even local talent that I've heard of (sorry we aren't professional enough to have our own business cards), but I was just looking to see what record labels you guys knew of, since there are so many. I've pretty much covered the obvious ones already.

Comment

• Yao
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

well, the thingy is that we ourselves don't necessarily know which labels do send out promo's, i guess all of them do it. But if you want a few names you might have missed but that would deliver some quality releases, I'll give a few to look up:

Pissed Off
                      Pure Substance
                      Swift
                      Angora
                      Spleen
                      Reversible Records
                      Harlem Traxx

It's just a random pick, but I like their releases personally...
                      Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• The One
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Bottom line - most labels promo stuff but how many other radio stations in other towns in other cities in other countries across the world do you think make the same request - probably into triple figures, so unless you can convince them that the benefit would be in their favour, then you're unlikely to get much response at all.

Comment

• Galapidate
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

Thanks a lot for the suggestions mate. I just e-mailed the ones I could find websites for, and I hope that at least some of them will reply back

Originally posted by Yao
                          well, the thingy is that we ourselves don't necessarily know which labels do send out promo's, i guess all of them do it. But if you want a few names you might have missed but that would deliver some quality releases, I'll give a few to look up:

Pissed Off
                          Pure Substance
                          Swift
                          Angora
                          Spleen
                          Reversible Records
                          Harlem Traxx

It's just a random pick, but I like their releases personally...

Comment

• skahound
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • Jun 2004

Another suggestion. Go on to discogs.com and type in tracks that you enjoy, determine the label and go from there. Progressive-Sounds also has a pretty comprehensive database of "progressive" labels with contact info/websites.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                              Not cool enough
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                              Cool as a cucumber here dude. I'm just a giant proponent of rolling up your sleeves and making a name for yourself. TBH there are probably a ton of people that hit up these record labels for promos each day, so without building up a level of trust you likely won't get anywhere. Not to mention that if you're hitting up companies that are already shelling a ton of stuff out, they're probably less likely to add you to their repetoire. Take note of some untapped names, up and coming labels, get in with some DJs and get the names of the PR people at the labels.
                              I totally agree with my friend who enjoys SKA. Get out there and do the fingerwork (typing). As if you do it yourself you'll feel a lot better about it in the long run.

I know right now with the company that I am starting. I'd love to get the $$ I need from somewhere else. But frankly I don't want their input, and if I let them in with their $$ that's exactly what I am going to get. So that's why I'm getting all the $$ myself. Hell it doesn't cost THAT much to start a company of one.
                              Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                              My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                              My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...